Unlimited access >

Favorite Grown Up Horse Books

Jodie Jaffe used to ride with Peter Foley. I’m not sure who she rides with now but last I had heard it was either Tony Workman or Patty Foster.

This thread (and its predecessor) have now cost me over three hundred dollars.

However … if you read “French Relations,” which I did on the recommendation of someone in the thread, you’ll love “Well Groomed,” the sequel. All about 3-day in England. Quite hysterical.

Actually, if I understand the news report properly, DC Air (which will be run by Johnson) will be formed by the “overlap” that will have to be spun off before United and US Air can merge. Referred to as a “sweetheart deal”.

I didn’t hear anything about Johnson taking over the combined United/USAir. Though they did say that he is on the board for US Air.

Back on topic, I second “The Lady” by Ann McCaffrey. She also wrote a (much shorter) book centerd on the US show hunter/jumper circuit that was quite good- but I forget the title.

Thanks, Finzean, my thoughts go to you, too. I’m trying my best to comfort my other two dogs who are just heartbroken–they’re very depressed. That’s part of the reason I haven’t been at the barn–I’m staying close to them. If the rain holds off, I may get out to the barn and take a brain-wash ride. When I finish this book, I’ll take it out there and leave it for you if I don’t see you! Thanks, again…

Thanks, Nancey, for the kind words–you are so right. I believe my old pal might have been a Grey Friars’s Bobby if I had gone on ahead of him. I’m ordering My Dog Tulip from Amazon today.
As far as the horse books go, I’m still recommending Spoken In Whispers–I’m almost finished with it. This girl can really write; she is so colorful in her descriptions that you really get a picture in your mind.
But if you’re not in the mood to think a whole lot, there’s no better “brain candy” than Riders! I heard it’s on Video…

I LOVED the Dragonriders of Pern- my best college buddy turned me on to those- GREAT reads.
I really enjoyed Riders too. Laughing at the characters I recognized!! Sam with Jody Jaffe’s books. I picked right up on the trainer whose first & last names rhyme! One of my good friends tried Brenda Starr many moons ago. She IS as wonderful as the author claims. I liked the references to the trainer who is now in Camden, WAS in Davidson many moons ago. And I could picture the house in Camden where they visited with the maid. I rode on that property during my short but learning time in Camden at a farm just up the road. I think that THAT farm would have a BIG story in it itself- wayward son, dad needed to get him out of the country, drugs, theft, barn up north burning, drugs, cruelty, did I mention drugs? YES I am grinning while writing this- it could describe MANY places- no mean spirited barbs meant here!!

Flightcheck, sorry about that!!! That’s what happens when you work the midnight shift, the brain just doesn’t function right. The name of the book is Remember Summer not Endless Summer. At least I’m not the only one to make a mistake, I popped over to Amazon.com because the story line you gave didn’t sound right, they have the wrong story description there!!! Although if you go furthur down the page they do have a story summary that is corret.

Good call, ccoronios!!! I forgot all about that one - what a great collection of books.

This book isn’t about horses in particular but a horse is an important catalyst in the story: “Here on Earth” by Alice Hoffman
This is a great book - read it last summer and it has made the rounds to so many people it is still being read!

Go ahead and read ALL of Josephine Tey’s books, they’re GREAT British mysteries, though not all are “horsey”.

baymare, don’t you think Daniels really belongs in the “emergency” category, too? LOL

Try these:

Trail of Secrets - Eileen Goudge

Cutter - Laura Crum

Riding for a Fall - Lillian Roberts

Also, Nora Roberts has a trilogy out right now that centers around horse racing.

AWWWW MAN!!! Oh well- we really have enjoyed your books, Jody.
I saw this thread had been re-opened & since horsey market is next week, and I will spend 3 days in purgatoy, which will include a long stop by the book distibutors, I was hoping for some ideas of what people might like to see on the bookshelves & video racks of their tack shop. Thanks in advance!
CC

Another vote for Jane Smiley’s Horse Heaven. One of her early novels, Barn Blind, is also about horses, but it’s more serious.

D. Francis is also a personal favorit. In addition to reading them, if you spend time in the car, they are great on tape!

A friend bought me a novel for Xmas called In the Presence of Horses. Again, a pretty intense story, but I liked it. Can’t remember the author at the moment.

It was great to hear from Jody Jaffe on her future plans. I know all of us who enjoy her books and share them with our students and friends will be more than happy to buy her new book, whether it be horsey or not. I can’t wait to read about the adventures and misadventures of Brenda Starr’s son! I am sure with Brenda for his mother, (by the way who is his father?)there will be many great times to remember. Thanks Jody for sharing with us!

I have a copy of a GREAT out of print book i got through Amazon that was a compilation of some of the best horse stories I have ever read - everything from Edgar Allen Poe, to Kipling to Anna Sewwll - it was compiled and edited by Magaret Cabell Self.

And here’s another vote for Smiley’s Horse Heaven!

I’ve read In The Presence of Horses. Definitely not a horse whisperer kind of book. It is about a trainer at loose ends with life and career. I enjoyed reading it, but not the most cheerful horse book.

Considering the Horse is what you may be thinking of. It is a collection of horse training ‘stories’ about an old-timer NH trainer. The book, written by Mark Rashid, is not fiction although it is entertaining. (I’m a big fan of M. Rashid’s training methods.)

And let me add my voice: “Hey, Jody Jaffe! I’m impatiently awaiting your next book.”

[This message has been edited by rescuemom (edited 05-25-2000).]

I just finished reading “Riders” by Jilly Cooper (absolutely, sinfully, delicious trash!, couldn’t put it down) and “Barn Blind” by Jane Smiley (ok but predictable). I got them for free. Yes, free. If you can get the title and the author your local library (probably won’t have them on their shelves) can arrange for an interlibrary loan. All free! Usually takes a week or two then they call you up and the books are there. Love this thread and will use it for future library loan requests!

Cozmo -
You should keep these in the store! I could then send my sister to purchase and send to me! I’d much rather support a reputable, small business owner, which I know you to be, than to spend $$$ at amazon.
Incidentaly, I have to work hard not to call the rhyming name person her old rhyming name. I didn’t meet her until somewhat recently - last year or two - but she is such a nice person.

Finzean- Hey! I am going through the book list as of tomorrow- well - later today- I was struck by insomnia. We have a really good book supplier that has as a small part of it, an equestrian department- only 200 single spaced pages- I am trying to build up our non- fiction & video selections, & this thread has given me a LOT of good ideas. We do have the Jaffe books & some Francis & Shoemaker. I will be looking the other titles up - so I will keep you posted! Thanks for the business & compliments!CC

Hi folks sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. I spoke to my source this weekdend at Upperville. He said the Jodie Jaffee is in the process of writing a new book but had not been told as to when to expect it completed or in bookstores. Be patient was all I was told it is coming…

Oh, I had forgotten all about Tey’s “Brat Farrar”, a truely wonderful book. I’ll have to dig it out and read it again.