Unlimited access >

Favorite Grown Up Horse Books

I also read RIDERS and loved it-where did you find the video-would love to see it!

The children’s book category was such a hit! But I’m wondering if there are others like me that are avid readers and constantly on the search for equine related novels. Many of you probably don’t have time to even read the mail but I, fortunately, am on down time for the next few months.

I read all the Rita Mae Brown/Sneaky Pie Brown books and a few months ago read ‘Outfoxed’ and ‘Riding Shotgun’. Both were very good. “Outfoxed” is especially entertaining if you hunt. A friend recently mentioned a book titled “A Portion for Foxes” or something along those lines - anyone read this?

To be shamefully honest, I’ve never read any of the D.Francis novels(didn’t want to spell the first name and get edited - this is happening on other sites!!!). I read a couple of very short books set in Texas (I think) about a dressage rider - “Death by Dressage” and a couple of others by the same author (Horse of a Different Color?)

Incidentally, did anyone else read the Patricia Cornwell book, “Point of Origin”? Do you think her inspiration was Salamander Farm?

I’m out of summer reads for the moment and am always interested in new horse novels.

Jody- I agree with Duffy, it was great hearing from you on the boards! I can’t wait to read your next book, and hopefully someday we’ll be reading about Royal T as well! Good luck with everything.

I agree - Jody Jaffe needs to get a book out ASAP! I told Peter Foley to tell her she needs to stop riding and get to work! Finzean, just curious - I’ve read “Point of Origin” - why do you think it’s based on Salamander Farm?

Jody, would you like your current/another publisher inundated with emails from all of us who have enjoyed your books (and want to know what happens next!)? Say it ain’t so!

Janet, please jog your memory

Went to the library - hours have changed and it was closed. Went to the bookstore and rifled through shelves and shelves and shelves of books. Guess what? Not one Jody Jaffe book, not one McCaffrey book, not one copy of In the Presence of Horses!!! I was overwhelmed by the selection of D.Francis books (at least 15 different titles) and couldn’t choose - Field of 13 is a collection, anyone know if it’s good? Anyway, I ordered the 3 Jaffe books and ended up buying 2 non-horsey books. Wish I lived in a bigger town…

finzean, if you’re out of summer reads, try this one: Traveller, by Richard Adams (author of Watership Down). It is Traveller’s account of his time with General Robert E. Lee. I found it very moving. This book prompted me to read the letters of General Lee and to also read Volume 4 of his biography, and I realized that the Traveller book is written by taking exact incidents from Lee’s record and relating them through the horse, so the book is factual. One of the many touching things is that Traveller thinks that Lee has won the war–he believes that his master, who he has always known to be giving orders, has finally beaten the blue men and ordered them to go home. It’s so touching how our horses believe in us…

This was a really good book–one of those that not only was wonderful to read, but provided me with links to many other books that I am now thoroughly enjoying.

Anyone else read it?

[This message has been edited by Anne FS (edited 05-26-2000).]

Ok, Poltroon, I am thinking about it…

Meanwhile, I do have a case of RIDERS (1st Am ed, which is a large PB)…And lots of others as well.

in the out of prints - Margaret Cabell Self wrote a wonderful novel before she was married, but I do not remember the title. Also, Amory Hare Hutchinson (which is an adult novel with illustrations by CW Anderson!) (Interlibrary Loan may be the only way to go with these two.) Of course, there are tons of wonderful foxhuting novels - try Mignon Eberhart’s (brain dead - forgot it)and all the Gordon Grands (in reprint right now - tho not cheap), as well as more racing one - like the books by Jon L. Breen.

More as my brain becomes more fully engaged.

I know, no advertising

Finzean- I do the same thing with the rhyming name person- I have known her since I was a kid- before she had a rhyming name! She is a great person & I am glad to see her & her new husband happy now.

Had to post again and thank everybody! I just received several boxes from Amazon. Yes, I know, libraries are great, but I love owning my own books. So, I now have 8 new books for summer reading (plus the new Andrew Lloyd Webber CD Not available in the US yet, but, thanks to this thread, I found it on Amazon UK!). So, if anyone thinks of more books, keep posting!

I am in the midst of reading my first Carolyn Banks book,
and am enjoying it thoroughly! I’ll have to
check out one of the Jaffe books now.

Did anyone else read “Hot Blood”? It was actually a good book,
but the descriptions of the violence against horses really upset me.

On a more positive note, all of you bibliophiles should keep your eyes
open for an upcoming book called An Apple A Day. If you haven’t heard of it yet,
it will be coming out this fall, and includes many great modern-day true horse
stories, including several by famous riders.

Favorite Books- K.M. Peyton wrote several that I loved Fly-by-Night- one of my favorites was Flambards (BBC produced the series of videos)-if you like foxhunting it’s great. Hot Blood was a page turner-a must read for everyone in the HJ world. I bought 10 copies (Barnes/Noble had copies for $5.99) and gave them to HJ friends.

1 Like

Finzean–If you read just one page of one d. Franacis novel–you will be hooked! There are probably 30 or so of them–all are worth the read, and some are just great! I am reading “Hugger Mugger” right now by another of my favorites, Robert B. Parker. It’s about racehorses in the south, and a detective from Boston who knows nada about horses, and some of the questions he asks are pretty funny! Its a little slow tho, so I am reserving judgement on it till I’m finished!

Glad to hear things are settling down for you Jody! Ditto CozmoJumps and Duffy… My Jaffe books are now tattered from making the rounds; I look forward to the next book , horsey or not!

Some good grown-up horsey booksÂ… Anything by Francis, of courseÂ….

Â"True BetrayalsÂ", I donÂ’t remember the author and I just lent it to someoneÂ… itÂ’s what I would classify as Â"romantic murder mysteryÂ" I guess, set in the world of horseracing. Young woman discovers long-lost (thought dead) mother owns huge racing stables, gets involved in horse Â’fixingÂ’ and murder and suchÂ….

Â"The LadyÂ" by Anne McCaffrey—contemporary Â"romanceÂ" novel but not one of those ridiculous torrid things, a lot of hunt and horse show Â’footageÂ’, I thought it was pretty neat. But then IÂ’m fascinated by anything Irish since thatÂ’s where my family is from!

IÂ’ve read a couple of interesting Fantasy novels by a writer whose name I cannot remember, of course, but the books are called Â"The Heavenly Horse From the Outermost WestÂ" and Â"Piper at the GatesÂ". They are kind of Watership Downs for horse folks—the horses have their own society, pantheon of gods, demons, etc. and the books are about the Dark Horse and his minions quest to destroy the Appaloosa breed. The writer is pretty darn good!

I like the Banks and Jaffe books too—I thought Banks’ first book’s murder method was pretty nifty. Heh heh….

JenniferS

Jody- great to have you join us- I loved your books! I really hope you stillfind a way to publish Sins of the Sire b/c I really wanna know what happens to Nattie and Brenda and all…but I’ll definately look for your new book as well.

And thats great and Brenda’s son! How old is he? And how is Brenda doing?

Sarah

headed for the library & book store.
I think i may have read something about “In the Presence of Horses” is it sort of a Horse Whisperer type book? I’ll check it out when I’m shopping today…
Thanks for all the input

Oh, Finzean, there is NO such thing as a bad Dick Francis - you can read them chronologically and see how he grows as a writer, or you can start with Field of 13 and work your way back. I love the ones where racing and horses are periferal (Hot Money, Straight, Decider) as much as where they are center (Banker, Risk, Dead Cert, and so on) I doubt there are any that I have not read at least twice. Be sure to have your tissues for Field of 13 - at least one of the stories is a sobber…

If you go back a few months on this BB, you will find another thread or two on books, with long monlogues by yours truly, former book dealer (with 25,000 or so still collecting dust)…Authors to check out are: (the late) Jane McIlvaine McClary - author of A Portion for Foxes and some others, all excellent, Edith Somerville & Martin Ross (The IRish RM), O’donoghue “Winner”, William Murray (a bunch of racing novels), Ainslee Sheridan (Trophies - excellent read - can be found through AMazon’s out of print service),Bill Shoemaker wrote a couple that are OK, then there is Show Gypsies - author slips my mind right now - rather trashy about showing in the 70’s.

I will try to find the ealier thread and bring it forward.

“Considering The Horse” and “A Good Horse is Never A Bad Color” are nonfiction training books by Mark Rashid, but truly they’re collections of short stories and are very entertaining. His third book has just come out - I have it on order from Amazon.

Anne McCaffrey also has a newer small book called “Horses For The King”, a fictional account of Arabians being brought over to England and the development of farriery. Not as good as The Lady, but still a fine diversion.

Other favorite books/authors, both will generally be marked in the Young Adult or Juvenile section, but only because the subjects are teenagers:

K.M. Peyton is British and wrote wonderful books like “Fly By Night” and “The Team” and “Darkling”.

Barbara Morgenroth has written two that I know of set in the American hunter/jumper world, “Ride a Proud Horse” and “Last Junior Year.” I especially like them because they are accurate not only in details but also in some of the realities and politics – like that talent isn’t enough to become Great Famous Rider.