Unlimited access >

Favorite Grown Up Horse Books

Did anyone else notice that in Jody Jaffe’s second book she thanked Erin Harty (our Erin, the moderator ! !) in the Acknowledgements section? I just thought that was cool. I LOVE her books - especially Chestnut Mare Beware b/c I thought the part about George Morris was neat.

Sarah

For all of you who like sci-fi or fantasy books, there is a great collection of short stories about horses called “Horse Fantastic”. It has horse stories by Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, and more.

Found this thread on page 6 (!). Regarding Jody Jaffe, I asked my favorite bookseller, Holly Beth, from the Book Chase in Middleberg about ‘the next Jody Jaffe’ last WIHS. It turns out Jody really identifies with Natty Gold, and when Jody & her husband (Natty’s love interest Henry) split, Jody lost interest and inspiration in this series. Plus, she’d lost (or lost use of) “Brenda Starr” her wonderful mare. My advice to Jody, whom I’ve met a few times is, memorialize Brenda in every new book, and start dating girl! A divorce is no reason to lose a great character like Natty! I wish any of my characters would get off the page as clearly as Natty does. If she ends up taking the lead in your life, follow her! She’s got good instincts, and will make you a stronger person. If anyone reading this trains w/ her, please pass it on!

Everyone in the midwest certainly read “Hot Blood”. It is well researched and well written, and reads a lot like a Francis thriller. If only it really were fiction.
It should be required reading for anyone in the H/J world, just as a reminder of what really does lurk out there in our beloved sport.

I got the Riders video from that web bookseller with the same name as a long river cutting across Brazil (how’s that for not advertising?!). I think it was about $30 with shipping, but am too dimwitted to remember. It was SO worth it and is now making the rounds at the barn.

Yep, I’m with you Sparky…D. Francis novels are the best! Pick one up and you don’t want to put it down until your finished! Very in depth horse oriented.

Jody, I’m glad you found us! I told you you were loved & missed. But don’t throw out those pages of “Sins of the Sire”. Look what happened to the “Richard Bachman” books once Stephen King made it big! Hope to see you on the boards again soon. We’re a lot of fun, and I’m sure you can pick up some great ‘colorful’ details for your next book, even if it isn’t about horses.

“Some Horses” by Thomas McGuane! This is a collection of essays on horses he’s known, and his prose is phenomenal. I’ve lent it to all my friends and they’ve all loved it.

I had never read Show Gypsies until seeing it on this thread - no one could seem to find it for me until the local library finally ordered it from out of the area! I howled throughout the whole book - it’s so out of date with today’s show world it read more like a comedy - but still entertaining reading.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by finzean:
headed for the library & book store.
I think i may have read something about “In the Presence of Horses” is it sort of a Horse Whisperer type book? I’ll check it out when I’m shopping today…
Thanks for all the input
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

finzean!!!are u still on???
thats all i wanted to know! i dont have any input! (sorry!)

Dee, you have my deepest sympathy. Our beloved companions are, so unfairly, much shorter lived than we are. But, then, they don’t have to miss us, which, given their generous, devoted and loyal natures, might be even more difficult for them than it is for us.

When you’re ready, there’s a great book called “My Dog Tulip”, by ?? Ackerman, a very unusual and moving description of the joys and concerns of having a dog.

It’s so frustrating to me how difficult it is to find adult horsey fiction. They categorize juvenile fiction books by subject, but not adult. The only way I stumble onto these books is by seeing a horse on the cover at the bookstore or library (which causes my husband great amusement – “Oh, she’ll read anything if it’s got a horse on the cover”).

Surely someone by now must have started an online bookstore of some sort devoted to horsey novels!

Just to add one more book–truly an adult book, but not a cheerful one is “Sweet William, a memoir of Old Horse” by John Hawkes (I think). If you buy this one buy a box of Kleenex! Best horse book I ever read.

I just finished Horse Of A Different Killer - excellent read! And I’m starting on Chestnut Mare Beware. I’m surprised at how many people and horses I recognized. Still waiting for In Colt Blood to come in at the book store.
BTW, has anyone seen the previews for A&E’s special this Sunday - In The Company of Horses…airing at 8pm EST.
One of my friends just finished reading a book about an insurance fraud investigator who specialized in horse killings…she can’t remember the name - anybody?
she swears it’s not Hot Blood

[This message has been edited by finzean (edited 06-06-2000).]

I love the Book Chase in Middleburg! How sad for Jody Jaffe - I hope she can pull herself up by the boot straps and get to work! I’m reading “Horse Heaven” right now, and it’s very good, but I’m craving another Natty Gold escapade into the dark side of the horseworld (as if we don’t all see enough of it first hand!). So, ditto, if you’re reading this Jody - please favor us with another read!!

Well, I see that my last post here was 5/25, and I just finished “Hugger Mugger” by Robert B Parker! thumbs down–big disappointment, especially the “horse” angle of the story. Skip this one! Going back to read Dick Francis again!!

I tried scoping out the River place but could not find it-how long ago? thanks

I think finzean is recalling the Jody Jaffe books - Horse of a Different Killer, Chestnut Mare Beware, and In Colt Blood. All 3 feature Nattie Gold and are set in the hunter circuit, primarily in the southeast. Jody rides herself (I believe with Peter Foley) and her stuff is dead on. Anyone who scans the Chronicle with half an eye will recognize who some of her fictional barbs are pointed at.

The Texas dressage series was written by Carolyn Banks.

Has anyone picked up Jane Smiley’s latest, Horse Heaven? I don’t care for her essays in PH at all, but I loved Horse Heaven. It’s mostly centered around the track, but there are prominent hj bits too.

LOL Kryswyn!! I sure hope Jody’s around to read the next installment of The Moesha Chronicles!!! It’s some of the most entertaining stuff I’ve read in years!

“True Betrayals” is written by Nora Roberts. Finzean - I also read “Point of Origin” - I’m just curious why you think its based on Salamander Farm.