Unlimited access >

Favorite hoof conditioner??

If I use anything, it is Keratex hoof hardener. I mainly use it in the summer months since my horse is on 24 hour turnout and humidity is very high here.

The best: http://www.kevinbacons.com/en/dressing.html

I don’t use anything. I don’t want to soften his feet in any way. He has good hard horn, and healthy feet. As long as his heels aren’t contracted, there isn’t any reason to worry about his feet.

I use Keratex on the soles and Effol Hoof Ointment (green) on the walls. I also have seen marked improvement in my horses’ feet through the use of supplements (Farriers formula double strength for one mare, and smart hoof on my gelding)

In the summer I use something that is lanolin based and in the winter I use something that is tar based.

Here’s an article from The Horse about hoof dressings which was a very interesting read.

Keratex is the only hoof product that actually works to improve the horses’ feet. Contrary to what some claim, there is no such thing as “too hard” feet. Your horse’s feet do not need moisture from a can; they get enough (too much usually) from dewy grass and hosing off after riding.

It’s the wet/dry cycle that causes feet to chip, crack, and weaken. Increase the “dry” part of the cycle and things will improve. I will use an oily product (usually Corona, with its lanolin) before I hose my horse off every day. Applied to dry feet, it sheds water off the hoof, so that it doesn’t get soft and weak. Other than that, hoof dressing is useless except to make for pretty pictures.

I really like Durasole.

I like Horseshoer’s Secret and Farrier’s Fix. I do notice a difference using them in the summer when the ground here is dry and hard and the horses have been stomping at flies. However, they aren’t a miracle cure and nothing helps hooves better than good nutrition.

[QUOTE=EventerAJ;8205217]
Contrary to what some claim, there is no such thing as “too hard” feet. Your horse’s feet do not need moisture from a can; they get enough (too much usually) from dewy grass and hosing off after riding.

It’s the wet/dry cycle that causes feet to chip, crack, and weaken. Increase the “dry” part of the cycle and things will improve. I will use an oily product (usually Corona, with its lanolin) before I hose my horse off every day. Applied to dry feet, it sheds water off the hoof, so that it doesn’t get soft and weak. Other than that, hoof dressing is useless except to make for pretty pictures.[/QUOTE]

While I agree - that feet should be hard and dry - and that products from a can won’t make a big difference in hoof quality - location and weather are also important factors.

I could see never needing a moisturizer in Florida - where it rains a significant amount every month of the year.

But out here in CA - where we often do not see any rain for a good six months - we don’t have any dewy grass - we have hard DRY conditions, and sometimes you will see very dry heels / cornet bands, and surface cracking. A good moisturizer can help recondition the outer layer of the hoof, and soften flaky dry heels and cornet etc.

That said - to prevent issues with wet / dry cycles from bathing, my farrier always recommended a hoof SEALER like TuffStuff - applied after riding, before rinsing.

I like DuraSole for hardening and thickening the sole.

And I like E3 hoof oil for heels and cornet bands on super dry feet.

[QUOTE=Ambitious Kate;8204817]
I don’t use anything. I don’t want to soften his feet in any way. He has good hard horn, and healthy feet. As long as his heels aren’t contracted, there isn’t any reason to worry about his feet.[/QUOTE]

My vet said his hooves are very dry and I need to use a good hoof conditioner 2-3 times a week. Just following her advice :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=besttwtbever;8204970]
In the summer I use something that is lanolin based and in the winter I use something that is tar based.

Here’s an article from The Horse about hoof dressings which was a very interesting read.[/QUOTE]

It seems that this article argues against using hoof dressing.

Regular exercise.

None! I have not used a hoof conditioner in probably 15 years. All of my horses are barefoot and I am eventing two of them. Diet, a good farrier, regular trimming, and good turnout are key.

Hoof dressings soften the horn of the hoof which you do not want.

OP- I actually prefer to pack the hoof with Forshner’s for what you are looking to do. I find it helps to counter act the get wet in fields, get ultra dry in stall from shavings, get wet, get dry cycle. I will pack a couple of times a week. If I am gong to turn out after packing I use a wrap of duct tape. If he is going to be in his stall for the day I just pack and stick him in the stall. We bed on shavings and he has shoes. YMMV if your horse is barefoot or you bed in straw.

I only use hoof dressing before I hose Finnegan off or before he does the Aquatread.