Unlimited access >

Favorite Horse Treat Recipes-especially for IR horses

What are your favorite horse treat recipes? Does anyone make treats for their IR horse? I’ve been giving my mare Hilton Herballs, but was wondering if I might be better off making my own treats for her. Or is that crazy?

I just give mine roasted peanuts in the shell

My mini guys get celery. They are not IR but they are on a perpetual diet to ward of portliness and health issues.

My mare is pretty hooked on those herb-balls :slight_smile:

I can buy these locally www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/product/beet-treats/

10 lbs for $28.95

Mine go crazy for timothy cubes.

[QUOTE=SmartAlex;8757860]
I just give mine roasted peanuts in the shell[/QUOTE]
Just the every day peanuts they sell at Wegmans? Salted or unsalted?

I can not get my horses to eat celery. I wish I could. It is one of the few veggies/fruits that I buy that I have no outlet for if we do not eat it in a timely manner.

[QUOTE=trubandloki;8758011]
Just the every day peanuts they sell at Wegmans? Salted or unsalted?

I can not get my horses to eat celery. I wish I could. It is one of the few veggies/fruits that I buy that I have no outlet for if we do not eat it in a timely manner.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I’m also curious about the peanuts. My dog loves celery for some weird reason.

I would stick with the Herballs! Mine has EPSM and those are the only treats he gets.

I’m glad I learned about roasted peanuts in the shell. They are inexpensive, widely available, and my mare loves them.

No recipe, but check tube I think there is someone that does a demo on making. Sugar fee horse treats.

There are times, clipping, etc that I need to give him more trap eats than he should get, I buy the sugar free peppermints from the grocery store for these special times

[QUOTE=trubandloki;8758011]
Just the every day peanuts they sell at Wegmans? Salted or unsalted? [/QUOTE]

I use roasted salted peanuts in the shell, and my horse and donkey both love them (and did as soon as they tried them). I’m not in Wegmans country but I get mine in a bag at our local grocery story, Ingles. I hear you can also get them at Costco.

I feed my mare the roasted salted peanuts too. She really likes them and she smells like peanut butter after eating them LOL. She also gets alfalfa cubes. I break them up if they are too big but she doesn’t have problems eating a few here or there as a treat.

[QUOTE=csaper58;8757895]
I can buy these locally www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/product/beet-treats/

10 lbs for $28.95[/QUOTE]

Picked up smaller bags yesterday to try to see if my princess finds them ‘edible’. And they’re only $18.95 for 10 lbs at my local shop. Here’s hoping she likes them, as no one local has Herballs and Smartpak is out of bigger containers until sometime in August.