Unlimited access >

Favorite leather cleaner

As the title implies, what is y’all’s favorite product(s) for keeping your leather in outstanding condition? I’ve always used Lexol in the past, however I’ve been out of the game for a decade and discovered via the internet there are a healthy number of varying options now.

Untitled

I have a box full of tack cleaners I’ve tried over the years. The winners are

MOSS Goat Milk Saddle Soap

Passier Lederbalsam

3 Likes

My saddle fitter recommends and I really like Leather Therapy. Their conditioner is good for helping with mold and Passier Lederbalsam for everything else.

3 Likes

Black Rock did a great job on my leather harness.
Lots of real estate to keep clean & soft :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Still helps my 22yo paddock boots look alive.

Stubben Hamanol is good, but smells like bacon :worried:

Higher Standards - made by a COTHer - gets great reviews & some day Cheapskate Me will break down & try it :roll_eyes:

1 Like

HorseTech saddle soap. very east to use, gently cleans the leather. I used it on an Albion dressage saddle I rode in 5-6 days a week for 20 years. It rarely needed conditioner.

HorseTech.com saddle soap

1 Like

I second the Moss goat milk soap. It cleans well, doesn’t leave a residue, and does a good job keeping leather conditioned in my dry climate. My dog also likes it, apparently, as she tried to eat the whole container (and she isn’t normally one who eats non-food items).

I would like to try the higher standards next. I’ve heard good reviews and the scents sound lovely.

2 Likes

If I’m cleaning leather that has layers of gunk (and/or mildew), my favorite is Kirk’s castile soap. It’s not for conditioning, but I’ve never found anything better for removing build up.

2 Likes

Let the record show that I think their customer service and saddles suck, but Devoucoux makes my favorite leather cleaner and conditioner for maintaining patina & condition: Belharra Saddle Soap and Leather Balm.

It’s expensive, but goes a long way. It also does not leave residue like other brands do.

If you are looking for items that do a deep clean or to help resuscitate leather, I do warm water with a squirt of castille soap, dip leather briefly and scrub off with rag, then follow up with a softening soap like MOSS or Oakwood, and any old conditioner. Once the leather is hydrated, start using the Belharra (I’m cheap).

Yeah this stuff is quality.

I’m lazy, I use Fiebing’s 4 Way most often. But I do have Higher Standards in my house. I need to buy another one because the soap melted and the sponge became part of the soap… sigh…