Unlimited access >

Favorite Mobile Storage Options for Small Vehicles

I’m looking for some ideas for carting my junk to horse shows without taking the entire barn. The only problem: I have a small, 2-door car. The trunk is pretty impressive, though - I’ve managed to fit 8, 50 lb bags of horse feed in it on numerous occasions. But alas, my normal Husky tack trunk will not fit.

I’m looking into maybe getting a stacking rolling toolbox to store my show equipment in and to keep at home most days. I like it because I can take it apart and (hopefully) fit the sections in my trunk. Something like this:

Anyone have any tips for this situation? Any suggestions?

I want something on wheels that can easily be pulled around. I need to fit towels/rags, grooming basics (including the various sprays one might take to a horse show), bathing basics, a set of standing wraps, a horse-sized sheet, small tack (bridle, martingale, halter), and other horse show odds and ends.

I have this as a tack truck and it is the most amazing thing ever!

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/tools-storage-and-organization/work-benches/2896934

It’s light, easy to roll, latches securely and can be padlocked. I have the toolboxes that come apart for work and they are significantly heavier, and you have to dismantle the whole rolling cart to get to the lower boxes. They’re a pain and I would never buy them again.

This craftsman, however, I’m considering getting a second one so I can have one at the barn and another in my truck. I love the little moveable dividers in the middle box (I use it for bits, spurs, sunglasses, and vet stuff), the top box is more spacious than it looks, and I keep all my wraps and spray bottle refills in it. When we bought this one, I fit it easily in the back of my husbands small hybrid car. I can’t fit the rolling cart for our rigid or dewalt modular boxes in anything but the bed of the work trucks, and I make the men load it because they’re so heavy once they’re full.

1 Like

I use the Milwaukee Packout System for my first aid stuff. While the vertical storage is great in a barn where floor space is limited and I LOVE that it has drawers, the plastic itself is so heavy. That reduced the portability.

There’s a baby version of the giant Husky chest that might work for you depending on what you’re storing. I have a random brand from Home Depot. It’s very lightweight, has wheels, and a telescoping side handle just like the Husky. It’s tall enough for spray bottles and stuff like that. I think it was $50.

1 Like