Unlimited access >

Favorite prizes to win at events?

My husband and I run VHT and I will be taking over the prizes. I’ve already got the ribbons ordered. We do national classes as well as FEI classes. What is everyone’s fav things to win? My fav thing I’ve won this year is a logo pic frame with a gift cert from the show photographer. I also go to a lot of jumper shows where there is a “prize table” where you can pick a prize (mugs, frames, hats, etc) thoughts?

1 Like

I like the prize table idea as everyone has a different idea of what they want. One show series, I won year end champion and got a “ringside tote”, which was a little bag someone got on sale and um…stenciled a horse on it (not stenciled, can’t think of the word). It had a few things like a hoofpick comb and washcloth - all for last minute polish. You also got to pick something from an table. Now, this was after the show series so everyone that boarded at that place got their pick before I got around to getting mine but I still got to pick a nice loose ring bit that my mare uses.

Same place also gave away a horse bucket with items - sponge, sweatscraper, etc. It was alright but not as nice.

I did like the saddlepad I got at the same place but I really only use it there as I’m not a saddlepad junkie. So I am glad I only got that one out of three times I got series end champion. That one was actually for top senior rider - most points or something…so it is embroidered with that.

Gift certificate for photographer is a great idea but the last gift certificate I got I never used - it was for 10% off a tack store but I’m perpetually broke so it has been floating around my house for close to a decade now. It doesn’t help that the tack store is a pop up at shows only so there’s the added need to remember it when I’m going to a show where that trailer is…

A table with an option for a few things may be best…there may be some issue with people feeling they didn’t get an opportunity to pick something due to their division running later in the day but that can be solved with having a few of a particular item, especially if it is an item that can be saved for the next show like gift certificates, bridles, frames etc.

I’ve seen several posts about the trophy tables all positive comments so that might be a nice idea, and offer a variety of things. I am also keen on things that are practical but shiny stuff will turn my head too. Unfortunately so much depends on what the budget is too. I would also suggest keeping the prizes/trophies in the same price range. Years ago I contacted a grooming supply company, explained our show series and asked if they could send us sample bottles of some of their shampoos, detangler, etc. OMG they sent me several boxes of full sized things.

Bags of sample size horse treats are always great!

I won a certificate for an xc schooling day at a venue that’s 4 hours from me… sadly won’t be using that :confused:

I think event photographer or video prizes are awesome! Any kind of physical memento of the win. Engraved halter plate?

2 Likes

I love the picture frame with gift certificate from the show photographer. I still have one I won as a teenager. I think saddle pads and mugs are nice. Agree with horse treats. I like gift certificates for the venue, if it’s one that has a lot of options (multiple shows, schooling, etc) for you to use it.

1 Like

It seems like I am always in the division at the end of the day so to me the prize table sucks. “oh look, I have a choice of a blue hoof pick or a red hoof pick, lucky me” when you see the winners from the other divisions with a new bridle or a saddle pad.

No prize you pick will make everyone happy, period. Even with a prize table.

I love the idea of a bucket with some supplies in it.

2 Likes

I think winning an entry is the best prize! I won one once, and it was awesome, and I feel not so hard to do.
Saddle Pad with the show name, or halter.

I don’t agree with blankets/coolers as they are always too big for many horses. Sizing is tough.

4 Likes

love the photo frame idea as well!

Agree with commenter above on the prize tables being sucky for divisions at the end of the day - i could have had a whole collection of random stuffed animals from hunter shows because that was all that was left at the end of the day when my division finally ended

One of the hunter barns around here does glass wine glasses/vases/tumblers /etc with their logo etched on that are really pretty - and fun to try to collect a whole set!

I’m in TX, so I’m sure you’re familiar, but I loved the cowboy belt buckles that Adri had at Corona del Sol years ago - so prob not appropriate for a HT in Virginia, but maybe something uniquely “Virginia” that you could slap a “VHT” logo on?

Its not a big gift, but I got a towel (snot rag?) with the event name and something about being a winner on it. I have a T-shirt from Menfelt with a some nice graphics that says “Menfelt- Division Winner” on it. I am glad I got it, such fond memories of the place.

2 Likes

Halters, saddle pads, groom back packs.

I also really like fei completion plaques that can go on a tack room wall.

1 Like

Agree with commenter above on the prize tables being sucky for divisions at the end of the day - i could have had a whole collection of random stuffed animals from hunter shows because that was all that was left at the end of the day when my division finally ended

This, at the end of the day the only shirt with the farm name on it was an XL, I wanted one of their shirts, because they were nice, but getting stuck with the poopy stuff at the end isn’t really enjoyable.

For my shows I would always grab non horsey prizes too - phone charges and selfie sticks were super popular. Golf towels are also great. Whips, brushes, buckets, socks, lead ropes.

Yes to whips/crops! You can always use an extra!

We still treasure the rub rags with the event names that I have from back in my day!! I still feel cool with an old one hanging out of my back jean pocket.

1 Like

My favorite prize of all time was a quarter sheet in my colors. Also logo/ event name towels - hand towel sized. Always useful and nice to have a decent looking one for shows. Ballcaps too, and mugs.