Unlimited access >

Favorite saddle pads - without a seam over the withers

My lovely lovely thin skinned ottb needs some new saddle pads. I love the ogilvys and similar pads from dover and smartpak but they all have a seam on the spine. He is getting some little rubs right where the seam sits and saddle fit was the first thing I checked, he is fine and comfy with my thin baby pads with no seam along the spine, and I do pull up my pads into the pommel! So I’m wondering what the consensus is on some thinner pads with no seam on the spine?

I would also look at the shape of the pad over the wither. If he has a taller wither, look for a pad with a taller drop. Then the seam shouldn’t be as big of issue.

I have a similar issue especially in the summertime when he’s shed out and its hot and humid. I REALLY like the EquiFit Essential. The design is smart.

1 Like

The lemieux saddle pads do have a seam, but it’s the only saddle pad I’ve used on my high wither horses that stays up in the pommel the whole ride. I like the ogilvy shape but on my horse it works its way back down on his withers during a ride, where the lemieux does not