Unlimited access >

Favorite summer barn shoes?

I just wear plain ol’ running shoes - usually a pair retired from “normal” life.

The sloggers etc look so HOT! - but I do not have to deal with mud in the summer, just dust…

For wet conditions I really like “duck boots” - at least with leather uppers they breathe some.

[QUOTE=Appsolute;8203859]
I just wear plain ol’ running shoes - usually a pair retired from “normal” life.

The sloggers etc look so HOT! - but I do not have to deal with mud in the summer, just dust…

For wet conditions I really like “duck boots” - at least with leather uppers they breathe some.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean “Hot” as in temperature?. I am hooked on Sloggers, as posted earlier. I don’t have mud, as I’m in Fla, but they are still great, especially when hosing horses, and other after riding chores. Don’t find them any hotter than any other closed shoe though they are hotter than my Flip Flops, lol. Easy on, easy off, hose 'em when dirty and they seriously don’t die. Mine are at least three years old and I wear almost daily year round.

For a while they made an ankle high pair. Have those too, though don’t wear as much. GREAT for summer rainstorms

Yeah I meant temperature hot - I am surprised to hear that they aren’t uncomfortable in the heat.

My feet sweat and swelter in any sort of closed, non breathable material shoe.

Maybe I just have sweaty feet! I have to have leather - or fabric that breathes, neoprene or rubber on my feet is bad news (for cooler winter temps only). My favorite barn summer shoes are mesh on the top - SUPER cool, they do get dirty, but I just toss them in the washer every other week or so.

[QUOTE=Appsolute;8203859]

The sloggers etc look so HOT! - but I do not have to deal with mud in the summer, just dust…[/QUOTE]

I don’t have Sloggers, but the similar version made by Bogs that I do gardening/yard work in. They’re not bad. They’re not something I would sit around in sipping an adult beverage in the hot sun, but for barn work/mowing/walking around they’re great. I love my Bogs Clogs.

Anyone else who has Sloggers have the “farting foot” problem? I have a pair of the little mule-looking slip on ones, and every time I take a step, fart fart fart.

Retired hiking boots. The tread and the soles are too worn to be of any use scrambling in the mountains, but they are still good for walking around the barn and riding.

Please be careful about wearing shoes around horses that don’t protect your ankle like paddock boots. Last weekend i was in the pasture and my horse spooked and landed on my heel. I was not wearing my paddock boots, although I had them in my car :mad:. His hoof sliced my heel up badly and I’m very lucky it wasn’t worse.

None of the shoes linked to here would protect you from that kind of accident. It only takes a few seconds.

Bogie - you are absolutely correct that many of the recommendations won’t protect the foot. And stuff can happen at any time. The ONLY time I’ve gotten really hurt was when I was wearing tall boots and about to mount - horse spooked, spun, stepped on my foot in process and broke two bones. I’m not even sure steel toes would have helped. “Stuff” happens.

I dutifully wear my helmet when riding. Twice I’ve had incidents (unmounted) where I would have been better served wearing a helmet - fortunately not major. One while braiding at a show, and once while hosing a horse who decided to pull back and break cross ties.
At some time we have to take off the armor, and the OP was asking re comfort and practicality, not the safest option.

I went slightly nuts a couple years ago when a fancy photographer came to our barn to take pictures and all of a sudden the teenagers showed up in sun dresses, BARE FEET, and curly hair to sit bareback on their horses like the recent Hannah picture. Accidents waiting to happen everywhere. The barn owner who arranged this thought I was I bit over the edge when I mentioned the word liability. Fortunately all was well.

I wear my short Dubarry boots or my zip-back paddock boots with the zippers down.