Unlimited access >

Favorite summer barn shoes?

I’m going to invest in a pair of summer barn shoes. What are y’alls favorites? I wear a size 8 and have feet that are on the wider side. I also blister really easily which is annoying.

I live in NC and it is hot, hot, hot during the summer. I want something for after I ride and change my breeches for shorts. They don’t have to go over my ankles, in fact I prefer they don’t but I’m definitely not looking for something as tall as cowboy boots.

Look into these Sloggers: Similar to “Muck” shoes, but much less expensive and quite durable (and fun). I have them, and use them exactly as you are looking for, all year round. (I’m in Fla). I wear them with little over the ankle sport socks, which is what I wear under my boots also. But they are also comfy w/ no sock because there is a bit of a lining.

http://www.gardenshoesonline.com/sloggers?gclid=CjwKEAjwtYSsBRCDx6rM1v_uqmsSJAAZgf2qLyWX3hBgvZ-PyKdlI4QWrMg5TJ8WLNtZte08rMI94RoCl7vw_wcB

There have been a couple of recent threads on this. Here’s one: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?397578-Best-barnyard-boots-for-the-summer&highlight=summer+barn+shoes

I can’t find the other recent thread but here’s an older one with some suggestions: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?405672-need-good-easy-slip-on-barn-shoes

I recently bought Merrill Jungle Mocs for barn chores and LOVE them. They are super comfy and very waterproof. I have Muck Boots for the winter but they’re just too hot this time of year.

I have a pair of Keens that are nice and breathable. Crocs make some styles that are nice too bc you can hose them our and they dry quickly.

I like the slides, because I don’t want to fuss with laces/velcro. The garden slides are nice because I’m always hosing a horse or something else. Prefer big soles and tough uppers, though.

I love my Sperrys. They’re easy to kick on and off, I can wear them with or without socks, they’re lightweight but solid. They pick up some shavings and dirt, but I just slip them off and dump them out. Marshalls/TJ Maxx always seems to have some.

Being all safety conscious and all :winkgrin:, I wear fake Crocs for just about anything but riding or haying. For that I wear sneakers!

I love Merrill Jungle Mocs too. The waterproof ness really helps. This is going to sound insane, but pair them with a lightweight wool hiker sock. the wool actually makes it feel cooler because it wicks the moisture. helps take care of that icky swamp foot feeling.

Old Sperry’s. I think almost all off our girls wear them. I toss them in the washer when they get too gross, sit on the patio to dry and they’re definitely ok to wear to the barn again.

I like the Dankso slip-ons. They’re super durable, polish OK, and don’t look super goofy with shorts.

I rotate between paddock boots and those.

I have two pair of the sloggers and I love them. They are indestructible.

I love sloggers! They also make great sun-protective wide-brimmed hats!

But for around the barn after riding if I don’t want to wear my paddocks…I just put an on an old pair of sneakers/running shoes. They’re comfy and cool and I keep a rotation going of my sneakers so that once they make it to “Barn Shoe Status” I really don’t care if they get destroyed.

I wear a pair of knockoff sperrys from Payless…I liked them so much I went back and bought 2 more pairs BOGO so they come to about $20/pr and I can keep one presentable for daily life.

I have a pair of sloggers and love them but they can be hot. So for summer I wear crocs or croc knockoff s

I wear my Dublin boots all year unless I’m not riding/longing, and then I wear sneakers. I’m a little too PC safety oriented for anything else.

Then again, I put a three year old on a trailer in flip flops last summer and lived.

Ditto the Danskos. Tough enough but look good too.

I wear Birkenstocks…and my feet are dirty all the time.:lol:

I used to love Danskos, but I kept twisting my ankles.

But when I’m working with the horses, I got some mules from Duluth Trading that are great. Alot like Danskos but less ankle twisting. I got the mocs for summer and the high tops for winter.

I wear converse, but I wear converse everywhere so they’re not really “barn shoes” :smiley:

Another vote for Sloggers.

When I first ventured into the world of being a working student, my barn shoes were Ariat Fat Babies with my breeches rolled up. I’m pretty sure my trainer (dressage) was mildy embarrassed by me, and as my parting gift that summer, she gave me a pair of Danskos. :lol:

So, Danskos became my barn shoe, but they aren’t really made for activity at the barn. I fell a ridiculous number of times, and they aren’t at all practical for the wash rack or stall cleaning. But for after you’ve finished and are going to go chill in the tack room/lounge/drive home, they’re great.