Unlimited access >

Favorite sun shirt?

My favorites are the SanSoleil. Their shirts come in different cuts, so they can be looser or more close-fitting, according to your preference. The prints are mostly nice too (there are some loud ones as well!).

Personally, I don’t like the clinginess of Kastels, and my (older) Smartpak shirt has slightly heavier fabric. The one Ibkul shirt I have is similar to the SanSoleils.

You can often shop the sale page and get good deals.

Which ones fit which way?

You guys would laugh if you were at my barn this morning. Four of us. All “older” ammies in our lesson. All of us wearing sun shirts of various brands, gabbing about which ones we like best. Of course, I mentioned this thread.

If you go to the website, for every shirt it gives details about the fit. The different fits are athletic (trim fit), classic (true to size), and relaxed (boxier).

Different shirts are also made in different fabrics, some of which are lighter weight than others.

I think the shirts I have are classic fits: SolCool and SunGlow.

1 Like

Thanks! :+1:

I just bought three Kerrits Ice Fil. Thus far, my absolute favorite of all my sunshirts! I highly recommend them!

3 Likes

I finally own a sun shirt. I have never liked the way they feel so I haven’t bought one. I then found IBKUL and I’m a convert. it feels fantastic on. I have yet to wear it in the actual summer so not sure how I’ll like it when its blazing hot but i think I will.

1 Like

I bought several last year.

Kerrits were my least favorite. The fabric loses it’s memory as the day wears on, so hours of me pushing my sleeves up leaves me with droopy sleeves. I find the fit boxy and the fabric mediocre.

Smartpak became my day-to-day go-to shirts. Good value, good features.

TS was the highest quality of my purchases. Great zipper and fabric quality. Almost a bit too heavy of fabric - I did not reach for this one on the really hot days.

My co-worker also got the Ariat shirts. These became her favorite as the season wore on.

Ariats and Kastel.

I live in a humid, hot climate and I find so many shirts are far too hot. Even ones that are described as sun shirts. But Kastel are beautiful and light. Plus they come in so many different colours and prints now as well. The only thing I don’t like about them is the price, especially since I wear mine every day.

In saying that, I’ve also got one that is near 5 years old now. It’s a bit faded but still going strong.

1 Like

I find Kerrits to be the coolest, but they do “grow” over time. Ariats and Kastel are next.

I tend to buy prints as they hide the inevitable stains.

3 Likes

I’ve been wearing the Kerrits for years. They wash great (I don’t put them in the dryer) and many of the patterns hide mature body flaws.

I was worried about clingy fabric mixed with hot flashes, but the fabric is light and loose fitting enough so that’s not a problem. I also don’t like really clingy cuts and I find the Kerrits are loose but have just enough tailoring that there is a flattering look when they’re tucked in. Again, this is with a mature body.

I have one each of the Kastel, Ariat, and TS which get rotated in with the many many Kerrits ones I own. The only problem I’ve found with the Kerrits is that they keep coming out with really cool new patterns and I want to keep adding to my collection!

4 Likes

In a quest to replace my beloved capilene lightweight tops, which I think are now called the “daily cool” but are not quite the same, I discovered REI co-op makes a new t shirt that is super lightweight and wicking, plus UPF 30. I bought three (they’re very reasonably priced) and will see how they hold up.

5 Likes

I do not like the Kastels for a different reason – at least the one I bought a few years ago. I don’t like to “see” sweat if I can help it. My Kastel shows wet spots as soon as I sweat just a little bit. I personally hate that. Nothing like walking around with a wet spot on your abdomen, or elsewhere. I don’t notice that on my others – Ariat, SmartPak, Dover, Kerrits. I would think if it’s a sun shirt, it would have taken sweat into consideration. Just a pet peeve of mine. (Same with breeches!)

LOL, last summer I was still riding my young horse with a safety vest. Took it off one warm morning and it was soaked from the chest down. Looked like I’d taken a dunk in the water trough.

We’ve had a cold spring and it’s just finally getting warm enough that I can put my new collection of sun shirts to the test.

One thing I’ve noticed with the different SanSoleil shirts I’ve acquired, is that there is a lot of variation in the sleeve length. One I think will need to be altered to a 5/8ths or short sleeve. I have long arms and another I have over an extra 1" of sleeve that I cuffed when I rode in it. That won’t stop me from buying more if they’re cheap enough though.

1 Like

I have standing eBay searches for large Bette & Court, Ibkul and Icikuls. I get an email with new ones every day. I will buy them if I really like the pattern, they are in good shape and are between 20-30 bucks. I’ve bought almost all my shirts this way. The Golf places will flood eBay with these shirts in the fall and when they get the new years line. Most of these are brand new. Happy hunting!

4 Likes

Great tip! Thanks.

I was doing that on poshmark… I now need to unlearn this or I will be spending a lot of money! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Golf shops like Budget Golf and TGW are great places to find sun shirts for a much lower price than equine-related stores. Budget Golf has some Ibkul tops on sale now for $29.95. Poshmark is another great source and I’ve also bought new shirts on Mercari at a heavily discounted price. I am the queen of bargain hunting.

2 Likes

I’m a very dedicated Ibkül girl but I found a new obsession. I bought a new show shirt on a whim and wore it this weekend. It ended up being so comfortable and cool that I am seriously considering getting one to add to my sun shirt collection. It is the essex classic performance jumper long sleeve. I came home from the show and didn’t change when schooling my other horses, I loved wearing it!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

I did find an Ariat Sunstopper on sale. Had not tried that brand. It was only available in a large, and I usually wear a medium, but I took a chance because it was a cute print with dots and little horses. Unfortunately, the length is good (I have long arms) but it’s too roomy in the chest and neck. Disappointing because I like the fabric, too. But at least now I know that Ariat Sunstoppers seem to run true to size.