Unlimited access >

Favorite tall yard boots?

I’m coming to the realization that my 10+ year old Cumberland boots from Mountain Horse are simply not going to hold up much longer.

So! I’m looking for a comfortable, waterproof (mostly, anyway) tall boot that can tackle muddy days at the barn, but also handle trudging through snow in the winter. Pull on or zippered is fine. What’s best these days? Once upon a time Dubarrys were the go-to for most people - are they still good quality? Any other brands or experiences?

Bogs. 100/10. Maybe not fancy cute, but they’re waterproof and going to get muddy anyway. Great tread, and they come in lined winter versions!

Muck “Chores”.

https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/chore/mens-chore-classic-mid-work-boot/CHM000A.html

1 Like

Hale Muck Boots. I’m going on 4 years with mine and still fully waterproof. Spring and fall they are great for the mud but not too hot with a thin sock for those warm but wet days. Winter I add foot warmers or a thicker sock and I’m fine, and they’re my favorite for snow because of the height. And my area gets a cold, snowy, and long winter.

https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/hale/womens-hale/HAW1WAV.html?country=US&currency=USD&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw48-vBhBbEiwAzqrZVNDv7v-zoAhK6j4xpJ6WojC3Le_Mxl5ZgHjgcAbU_nHJBu7f8E28BRoC5kgQAvD_BwE

Mountain Horse has never let me down, I love their stuff. My current barn boots are their Devonshire boot. Warm in winter, decently breathable in summer, waterproof, and comfy. I looked at both Dublin and Dubarry when it was time to replace my last ones but I’ve heard the quality of both brands has gone downhill in recent years and I thought they were too expensive to take that risk.

After trying most of the above and then reading a tip from an upper-level groom on here, I bought a pair of Sperry duck boots. I immediately loved them so that I gifted a pair and bought myself a backup because I am used to my shoes self-destructing at inconvenient times.

It’s been two years and the first pair still looks like new when I bother to hose them off (not often.) Not quite a tall boot, but mid-calf, and despite turning 15 horses out in the rain in winter a couple months ago, I have not yet sunk in mud deep enough to either remove them or go above their tops. Six stars.

4 Likes

I’m looking for new boots too. I have some Ariat country boots (can’t remember the model) that are similar to the Dubarry style that are still waterproof thanks to the Goretex lining but have a huge hole in one boot by the sole and the beginnings of a hole in the other boot.

Personally, I can’t stand the heavy, clunky Muck brand boots. I have big calves but the ankles aren’t fitted enough and those boots rub. Plus they are hot AF in the summer. My SO has the Sperry duck boots and he likes them, but has had issues with every pair developing holes/ leaking.

That’s my experience too. I have some knee high Wetland model Muck boots for the tiny bit of miserable winter we get. I like them well enough for that. If it’s much over 50 they are too hot. I also have some of their gardening shoes which I like for cool weather but they get too hot if it’s over 70 F.

I haven’t had any luck yet finding footwear that’s waterproof that isn’t too hot to wear 8 months of the year here.

I just change shoes constantly

Yeah I’m kind of leaning this way still.

I really need a true tall boot around here. We usually get 8-10+ inches of powdery snow at a time and one of my biggest pet peeves is getting snow down the top of my boots. If I go a mid-to-ankle height then I have to figure out a snow pant situation and what I love most about my current boots is being able to just slip out of them and into my riding boots and back without any fuss.

Yeah tall barn boots are not optional here with the mud pits we get. It was hard to find a retailer for Mountain Horse for some reason but I got lucky with Tack of the Day/Bit of Britain. I got mine 60% off on a one-day deal, but would happily pay full price since I like them so much. Sounds like the Devonshire would fit what you’re looking for, you may be able to find a good deal.

I love the Moretta Pamina boots by shires linked below. I’ve been wearing them for about 6/7 months. They’re so comfortable and easy to walk in all day. I work with Shires so these were gifted, but I’ve now converted so many friends. I can ride in them. I found my dubarry boots so heavy, and these are comfortable and don’t drag. I also link the zip on the side makes them really easy to put on and take off. Plus they’re $209

Linked below (This is a commissionable link)
https://rstyle.me/+cmnBTKXcqClk2dv_3TQH7A

1 Like

I have Sorel Joan of Artic for the winter and their Out N About boots for any other time. I shattered my foot and earned substantial ankle jewelry. I cannot comfortably walk in heavy Muck type boots but I need the insulation/water to keep my plates from freezing. I’ve never had my feet get cold or wet in 3 years, and I live in clay country (re: SOUL SUCKING MUD).

2 Likes

These look super nice, thank you for the link.
But for me, for barn boots, here is the catch
:“The Pamina is made from high quality leather. This means it must be looked after correctly. Use leather cream to keep the boot looking healthy and hydrated.”:
I know I just won’t look after them properly, I will ruin them and feel bad about myself.
Now for going in to town, or to someone else’s barn :wink: they would be perfect.
We have snow, and mud and cold here, and I think I just might have tried all the boots, as they come out: Bogs (I ruined the tall Bogs by tearing them at the ankle taking them off and on) But I wore a pair of short Bogs ankle height to death, and while they weren’t great in deep snow, or on ice, they were waterproof, supportive and warm enough.
Muck boots, the same as Bogs, heavy and tore at the ankle because I am always in a rush pulling them off and on.
DuBarry, yes, I have them - but never wear them to do actual barn work. I know I will ruin them.
So, for me what works fall, winter and spring, (and summer if it is not too hot) are Sorels, or Helly Hansen. They are lightweight, stable with good tread, waterproof, you can walk through snow, mud, over ice, clean stalls, plus easy on and off and don’t need any care,which is a virtue.
My cheat is that I buy a new pair for wearing to town,and as they get worn, they become my barn boots, which I then wear to death, and so on.
The downside is you get hay/shavings/straw stuck to the fake fur.:slight_smile:

This is exactly the method of madness I subscribe to as well!

ETA: The (Sorel) Tivoli’s do not have fur, but where’s the fun in that?

1 Like

lol! Exactly! Plus, boots with shavings and hay stuck in the fake fur is a look not everyone can pull off. :wink:

1 Like

Noble Equestrian Muds. They come in three sizes and are waterproof and warm enough for winter but don’t cause sweating in the summer.

My country boots are for walking XC and shopping.

I also love the Noble Equestrian All Season Mud boots. I’ve been wearing them for a year now, in summer/fall/winter in Michigan. They have a comfortable footbed (I have a lot of nerve issues in one of my feet and so it’s a challenge to wear anything but Hoka’s) .

https://www.doversaddlery.com/ne-prfct-fit-all-seasn-high-bt/p/X1-381391/

My second go to Barning around boot is the Carhartt Wellington slip on boot. Very comfortable and I can stay dry walking thru 6 inches of mucky water. They are quite wonderful.

https://www.carhartt.com/product/800081/womens-traditional-welt-waterproof-10-wellington?categoryCode=

The Carhartt’s worked so well that I bought them in two colors.

1 Like

Two updates to the above:

• The upper-level groom is @CatchMeIfUCan, whose name I had temporarily misplaced at time of posting.
  • I’m not superstitious, but I’m a little stitious, and I should have been moreso, because one toe got a split two days after I posted this. Still, two years is pretty impressive and they’re still pretty waterproof even with the split. Still six stars!
1 Like

I see I’ve been summoned :joy: Bummer that yours split! I always had great luck with mine, but am :ahem: unfortunately getting a bit too on in age to walk 12-20 miles a day in shoes that aren’t designed for that specific task. I exclusively wear waterproof onclouds now and go through a pair every 3 months. If I need to go to deep, wet fields, I switch to a pair of Moretta waterproof boots (Dubarry knock off style) that are quite comfortable. I can do an odd few days here or there in them without pain.

I highly do not recommend Dubarrys.

3 Likes

I’ve had Dubarry Clare boots for over 5 years now and have put them through ALLLLL kinds of abuse and I even ride in them fairly often. They are still my go-to boot for any conditions.