Unlimited access >

Favorite wool-flocked english saddles for the shark-finned horse?

With my horse recovering from kissing spine surgery it’s back to shopping for a new saddle while I list my foam-flocked one (RIP wallet). While I’m planning on having an independent fitter out closer to my OTTB being started back under saddle, I figured now’s as good a time as any to start learning more about saddles that could be a good fit to keep an eye out for and to discuss with my fitter.

I’m specifically looking for a forward-flapped, hunter and fox-hunter and shark-fin friendly, wool-flocked saddle. Bonus points if there’s a trustworthy rep that gets out to Texas.

Just really looking to hear all your favorite saddles that may be worth learning more about!

I’m personally feeling most partial to a Black Country but would love to hear other opinions!

A County would probably work well for you. Wool flocked, comfy, good balance, and I know of a couple of friends with TBs in the traditional TB shape that ride in them.

I know County dressage saddles run wide, not sure about their jump saddles.

3 Likes

The County jumps run wide as well. I believe Black Country is another good option - they do drop panels/K panels like County can (a configuration you’ll probably need for a big wither).

1 Like

As a saddle fitter, please don’t pick “your” brand. Pick your fitter. Especially with a horse having back issues, your fitter will make or break the saddle. Even independent fitters vary in their experience and their brand preferences.

Most brands will have a saddle model or two for a high withered horse.

5 Likes

I’ve had good luck with Stubben.

2 Likes

I’m not “picking” my brand–I’m educating myself as to what’s out there and what’s worked for others. As I said, verbatim:

I figured now’s as good a time as any to start learning more about saddles that could be a good fit to keep an eye out for and to discuss with my fitter.

1 Like

I love, love, love my Jeffries JMX monoflap jumping saddle. They are no longer made but you still see them floating around on the used market. My saddle fitter also thinks they are very well made and balanced.

2 Likes

Double Ditto on the County

1 Like

I event and foxhunted my shark finned horse in a Black Country Ricochet and I will have that saddle until the flaps fall off!

I have an Albion that worked well for my TB.

1 Like

EQ Saddle Science is a brand that works especially well for KS horses and also high withers. Not wool flocked - that technology bypasses the need for flocking.

1 Like