Unlimited access >

Favorite yoga ball exercises for riders?

I really need to figure out sitting trot on my new guy. (No one around here (that I know of) has a lunge line lesson horse)
Everyone says “yoga ball!!” So, I got out the yoga ball, inflated it… and want to know your fav exercises…
I already do pilates and various stretches…
TIA

I ended up teaching my horse to play nose soccer with the ball, it got really dirty and deflated, and I’ve never used it :slight_smile: but the horse rolls me the ball when I open her stall door.

2 Likes

Do you have someone to give you longe line lessons on YOUR horse? I did this years ago and it was a great help.

2 Likes

Check out Gina Allan! During COVID I did a month-long, Zoom yoga ball class for riders with her, and it was great!

https://ginaallan.ca/equifitness-exercise-guide/

2 Likes

Hmmm interesting that a Yoga ball could help “finding” the sitting trot…any more than the Pilates exercises you already do.
My first thought was, just drop the stirrups and sit the trot on your guy, in small increments, then do the same with stirrups, you’ll get used to it eventually. No shame in grabbing the pommel or a strap, at first, to make yourself sit deeper in the saddle :slight_smile:
The only ball exercises I did were in Pilates classes, and they are great for core and balance. My favorite one as a rider was in this position:

But instead of having my hands behind my head, my instructor had me press a small ball between my palms in front of me (straight arms) and twist my upper body (with arms following) to the same side I was raising my knee.
So simple, so challenging. Balance and core.

3 Likes

I do not think he is a candidate.

I do the on horse things. I do the ball exercises you posted. New horse is very different in ALL ways from my previous guy, and his back is REALLY short so his trot is harder. There is something wrong with my biomechanics in the sitting trot, using the wrong muscles or something.
So I am looking for exercises on the ball.
My trainer and I are working on it and as he is better at using his back things are improving, but I know I have to work on this in other ways than just bouncing on his back.
Pilates is for strength and balance. There isnt the “motion” aspect provided by the ball.

1 Like

I do some things on the ball, to help my back issues, which are numerous, lol. You might try doing some circle exercises while on the ball - move your hips in a circular motion with as little motion as possible from the waist up. A bunch clockwise and a bunch counterclock, rest rinse repeat. Think like the old hula hoop motion. I do them with my arms straight out, but you could also pretend you are holding reins.
Also this may not apply but I was having trouble for a bit, and after some concentrating, realized that I was putting my weight in my stirrups, which only served to push me up out of saddle at trot. Now I relax my lower leg and leave my calf snug on his sides .
Lastly, when I did my longe lessons, I actually held the reins, trainer only used the line to keep the horse on a circle, so I only had to control speed, not steering. He was the opposite of yours - long back, jarring Thoroughbred trot. :grin:

Thanks!

My OTTB is super short backed and took several years before even my trainer would sit his trot, so I get your struggles!

What type of faults do you tend to have? Meaning, do you tend to slouch, to lean forward or back, hollow your back, round your back too much, etc.? My tendency was too roll onto my crotch and “duck butt” with a hollow back.

I like to sit on a ball more as if I’m on a horse. Think of doing trot lengthenings and collection. The feet flat on ground helps you feel that lack of gripping with your legs and movement through every leg joint you’re supposed to have.

Because of my tendencies, I also do an exercise someone shared here. Lie on your back the ground, with feet on the equator of the ball. Roll up tailbone first until in a reverse bridge, then roll back down. This helped all the muscles along the back of my core to help me straighten out.

On horse, what has helped me is two point. I really get that feel of absorbing the motion in ankles, knees, and hip sockets. Zero gripping anywhere, as grips will prevent absorbing the motion easily. I gradually get closer to the saddle and more upright until I’m sitting, then two point again if I start to lose it.

1 Like