Favorites for Flat Feet

I have a connective tissue disease and subsequently, flat feet. I knew I had flat feet well before I was diagnosed, even when I was little I thought they always looked like ET feet in the shower :joy:

I also had a vocal coach in college that my first lesson made me take my shoes and socks off which I thought was at a minimum odd and was really hoping the guy didnā€™t have a feet thing. He didnā€™t thankfully, but noticed my garbage posture and exclaimed ā€œI KNEW ITā€ upon seeing my flat feet. And then gave me exercises for that AND my voice!

Anyways. My rheumatologist got on my case about not being barefoot in the house, encouraging me to get insoles etc so I started with a cheaper, but well rated pair on Amazon.

Do any of you ride with insoles? How do they fit in boots? Iā€™m pretty curious at this point how my position riding can benefit from something like that. Iā€™m using them in my Ariat Terrains right now but those are pretty roomy. Any reccs for cowboy/western boots? The ones I have now thereā€™s no way my insoles would fit along with my foot.

Any regular walking around/light hiking shoe recs? My mom broke her foot very badly prior to Covid so sheā€™s got a lot of experience on the shoe side. She likes Hokas for walking shoes.

At home I pretty much wear my crocs (only ok with the action strap on per my rheum) or my Nike gym shoes if Iā€™m working out. I got a pair of Danskos that I like and are on the rheums good list.

Iā€™m trying to get into the ā€œno hoof no horseā€ mentality with myself on this. It generally doesnā€™t cause me pain or anything but I know itā€™s not helping overall. Would love any tips!

2 Likes

I have severe neuropathy in my feet, and Iā€™ve been wearing Brooks walking shoes for about 15 years. I wear them in the house as I absolutely cannot go barefoot, and of course I wear them outside. I have orthotics in my current pair, although the orthotics are worn down to nothing.

What brand orthotic on Amazon did you like? Iā€™ve looked a couple of times, but hate to buy on line because Iā€™ve had so many problems with them fitting in my shoes properly. But Iā€™m happy to rely on your experience.

Rebecca

1 Like

I am mostly either in Birkenstocks or Superfeet insoles. The Superfeet are big, so you have to takes the insoles that come with the shoes out to insert them. They only work in sneakers. Otherwise I have a pair of half-inserts that fit on top of insoles and use those in shoes that Superfeet donā€™t fit. They are ok, but the arch support is a bit farther back towards my heel than I need, which is not really great especially if Iā€™m standing around a lot.

I have Ovation paddock boots which need no inserts, and Ariat tall boots, which I use my half-inserts inā€”without them it kills to put my heels down. And my $35 tractor supply wellies are just fine with no inserts.

Anyway, I am rarely on my feet in anything other than Birks, sneakers, or wellies, so my feet stay happy as long as I donā€™t do anything stupid.

1 Like

@RMJacobs Here is the link for the ones I got: https://a.co/d/3ry7yS0

I like them, but suspect they arenā€™t a perfect fit. Better than the ones that come in my shoes/boots so far though.

@punchy I need to look at Birks! They were on the good list from my rheum as well. Iā€™ll check out the Super Feet too, Iā€™d like to try some different kinds. I bet Iā€™ll end up with custom ones at some point but my HSA needs to recover from last year!

1 Like

I have Superfeet in my muck boots, trail shoes, and paddock boots. I cut them down to fit, in everything but the muck boots.

2 Likes

Those are certainly a reasonable price.

My rheumatologist told me years ago that over the counter orthotics are just as good as custom ones. Iā€™ve only had over the counter, so I canā€™t compare, but I trust his opinion. My podiatrist wants to sell me orthotics, of course.

Rebecca

3 Likes

Iā€™m watching this thread for ideas! I will share I got custom orthotics. They were awful!!!

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the superfeet and like those but recently tried Tread Labs and like them too. I like the Tread Labs over the Superfeet because the TL are 2 pieces - the hard plastic arch support and the foam cover on top (the part that wears out about every 6 months for me). Because they are 2 pieces you can replace the foam topper for like $20 without having to replace the hard plastic part too / spending as much.

As for shoes, I highly highly recommend going to an independent (non brand specific, like saddles) running store that does eval type fittings. That was game changing for me and I donā€™t run. I bet you need a stability shoe (flat feet tend to over pronate) and they will have a good selection. Not all stability shoes will fit or feel the same even if the premise is the same. I liked my old Hoka Arahis but they changed the foam from the 5s to the 6s and now canā€™t stand them. Now Iā€™m in Asics Gel Nimbus (not stability shoes) and picking up a pair of Gel Kayanos (stability shoes). Typically, you do not add arch support style insoles to stability shoes as it can be an over correction but each case is different. I have the Tread Lab insoles in my muck boots and Nimbus shoes. For around the house I am currently wearing New Balance Roavs as they slip on and have a hard 3/4 arch support in them. I donā€™t love the Roavs (mine have wore through on my big toe) but I know I wonā€™t wear shoes around the house unless they slip on and off without tying as I canā€™t be bother to tie shoes a bunch when switching between muck boots throughout the day.

For sandals, I LOVE my oofos. They are crazy comfortable and perfect. They are supportive and comfortable (I canā€™t stand Birkenstocks) - I even wore them around Disney World and my legs and more importantly my back felt great by the end of the day.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got flat feet and developed plantar fasciitis years ago. I went in and got custom orthotics and still have them 15+ years later, so while they are $$$ to begin with Iā€™ve gotten my moneyā€™s worth! :grinning:

My around the house shoes are Halflinger slippers - the kind with the cork sole.

For work shoes I pretty much exclusively buy Danskos because I donā€™t have to wear my insoles with them. The Professional series doesnā€™t work for me but the XP does.

For walking/working around the yard I buy New Balance and wear my insoles.

Like you I wear Ariat Terrains when riding and my insoles fit fine. I have some Ariat cowboy boots but yeah no way the insoles will fit in them. I donā€™t tend to wear them for long periods of time, but my feet have been OK in them without insoles.

2 Likes

I just now found this thread.

I have over the years broken one foot and years later the other, so they are not even, each prefers a different shoe.
Also think, if a foot is not working correctly, the whole leg may not, knee and hip especially and opposite leg will try to compensate.

After years of trying all kinds, doctor recommended, for working on my feet doing physical work all day, to wear hiking boots as they have a firm sole and adding to those as needed.
Today there are all kinds of sneaker type shoes that will help, if you find the right ones and that may also change over the years.
My left foot is completely flat now, arch support makes it worse, because there is no arch to support, I guess, any becomes a mere bump in the shoe.

For me, New Balance has fitted in general well, not as extreme in trying to fit individual feet, geared to a more universal fit, which with innersoles can be fine for many.

Tried different models of Hokas and Brooks just recently.
Those are the new thing in sneakers, with heavy advertising in the right places.

Hooka makes me walk too straight and my bad knees donā€™t like it, want a bit more heel support.
Some Brooks models seem as of right now help my feet best, the Glycerin 20 and Dyad best of all.
Amazon has all kinds on heavy discounts regularly, the Glycerin 20 lists at $160 sells for $109.

No matter what I use, Walmart has a thick memory cell insole and that goes in every shoe I use.
I buy shoes 1/2 a size up to accommodate those.
Some times I cut the insole to fit a bit short and that leaves extra room for the end of toes if the toe box is a bit crowded.
I think that innersole is what makes any shoe the best fit, compensating for small differences.
You may want to try that, it makes more shoe types possible, as it compensates for what may not be quite right, while cushioning:

3 Likes