Unlimited access >

FDA approves generic version of firocoxib (aka Equioxx aka Previcox)

Well, it’s about time. Has anyone found a source that’s selling the generic version yet? Or had a vet start prescribing generic?

4 Likes

Heartland Vet says it’s coming soon. Price is $81.14 for 60 vs $109.95 for 60 of Equioxx.

6 Likes

Ooooo… maybe I’ll buy the small bottle of Equioxx this time to tide me over until the generic is available.

Thanks for the info!!

1 Like

Hallelujah. I was working the budget over the other night and Equioxx made me wince a little. Every little bit of savings helps!

2 Likes

Yay! Now they need to do it for Prascend…the price keeps going up, and there’s literally no alternative for Cushings horses.

5 Likes

Valley Vet
Equioxx (horses)
57 mg 180 tabs: 270.99 $1.57
57 mg 60 tabs 96.99 $1.62

Previcox (dogs)
227 mg 60 tabs 232.49 $1.00 (1/4 tab) out of stock
57 mg 60 tabs 108.49 $1.81

Firocoxib: Heartland
57 mg 60 tabs 81.14 $1.35 (“coming soon”)

Heartland is the only one I found that specifically had a photo of the generic bottle.

I kept ordering Previcox from Valley Vet. Never encountered any problems when they contacted the vet and the account still said “Equine.”

3 Likes

An argument could be made that YOUR horse must have a paste form, or he MUST have something a little more, or less, than 1mg, which means it can be compounded.

2 Likes

Literally just ordered the large bottle of Equioxx. Ouch! Valley Vet has great pricing though.

A few years back, there was also a generic Legend IV called NexHA that never really got off the ground. Hopefully this drug won’t meet the same fate.

1 Like

Don’t forget about the BI rebates in the meantime for Equioxx!

1 Like

I reached out to Heartland to see if they had an in stock date yet. They said right now all they know is “September.”

1 Like

A quick Google reminded me that pergolide (the active ingredient) had its patent end ages ago and while there were some restrictions when Prascend came on the market, those have expired as well. Apparently no other company has found a way to produce a profitable generic, non-compounded version.

Excellent news!!! I just opened up a new bottle that I bought earlier this year, so won’t need any until next year but this would be lovely to have it cheaper!

My vet is usually pretty onboard to do generic things with possible so I’ll have to ask.

Looks like this might be in stock now at Valley Vet Supply - same price as Heartland.

2 Likes

I recently learned the hard way that the BI rebates only work if you buy directly from your vet. They wouldn’t honor the rebate on my recent purchase from Valley Vet :frowning:

We did somehow get a rebate approval on the purchase of bottle through Vet Depot but I think that was by accident (according to the rep I spoke with after I didn’t get my VV rebate).

That’s weird. I’ve used it for online purchases or the local animal pharmacy business with no issues.

I was able to use the rebate ones (years ago) with my purchase from Heartland. Next time I tried they said no, not an approved seller, or something along those lines.

I had the same issue with my order from Farm Vet. They don’t honor the prescriptions anymore.