Unlimited access >

FEAR FACTOR CLIQUE: a place to share, to vent and to be happy!

I think I will get a professional, and go with my horse to learn right along with him. He is very athletic and spunky, which I like in a horse, but unfortunately that also makes him a very good bucking horse. I just need to channel that energy into a better direction. And save my butt in the process!!

Fellow Fear Factors, I have some wonderful news that I would like to share.

First, on Wednesday night I took a polo lesson! It was divine. Actually, I would highly recommend it for any fellow FFs. Within no time I was so focused on hitting that damn ball that I never thought of the horse again. Wonderful confidence builder, although my right arm hurt like a mofo for about three days.

I took the lesson with a coworker who had only ridden rental horses at the walk. She, too, is very competitive and at one point she FORGOT she couldn’t ride and spurred the horse after the ball. Two thirds of the way there it was “Oh, hello, what am I doing?” Just a quick shortening of the reins and she was fine.

She also beat me in our fake game.

WEEKEND UPDATE: everyone who posted re Fear Factor last week was very inspiring, and I took a lot of great suggestions from everyone. My trainer was ill and did not school Willem on Friday. Now ordinarily that would be an excuse for me not to get on, but then I thought “@#$% it” and did anyhow. We had a wonderful ride on Saturday.

Yesterday, boosted by this and riding on a wave of euphoria about it, I rode AFTER THE RAIN STOPPED. A big downpour. The ground is so dry that the water was instantly sucked up, and there was no wind, so I thought “@#$% it!” again and there we went. [B]Galloping. On trail![/B]

I LOVE ALL OF YOU FOR BEING SO CANDID. Because of this and my renewed vigor, I am:

a) accepting the fact that I should just have the @#$%&*$ boots made bigger and now wait until I slim down until they fit - they are going to the boot repair man tomorrow!

b) ordering half chaps!

Love,

Coreene
Charter Member, Fear Factor Clique

When I have days like this where it’s too difficult to ride, I make sure that we do some very good ground work. Then I know he’s been schooled and the only thing that didn’t happen was a ride.

The days where I Choose Not To Ride are further and further apart, which is great. But I have always found that a wonderful confidence builder is to ride a horse that you know is quiet.

As Cactuskate said, if you have a day where all you can manage is to mount up and walk, that’s fine too! Your horse won’t mind, they love going for a walk.

At our barn we call it Stable 101.

I have Andy, our dressage trainer, school Willem once a week. Keeps him on his toes and helps me out mentally in a Big Way.

Clapping wildly for you!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

He listens to me on the ground, will do tarps, get rubbed with a plastic bag, go over around bike jumps, etc, but for some reason will not do water, we are working on that.

I do have 2 wonderful horses that are my saviors. But they are both 20 yrs old, and this guy needs to get with the program so he can be my mount for the next 25-30 years. By then I don’t think I’ll care anymore.

The mind is sure a powerful thing, isn’t it? I don’t worry so much about just getting dumped and being sore for 2-3 days, but about being incapacitated for a long time. Already had a lacerated spleen and a week in the hospital because of a horse which was 7 years ago, and I do not want to do that ever again!! Plus I have kids and a business to run. All of which increase my fear.

It does help to know I am not alone, and we all have ‘jelly knees’ days.

be excelling going by his post. Do you have a special keyboard for him?

My first ride after recent dirt eating episode was a brief and very focussed ride. Nothing like a fall to sharpen your focus. The second was a bit longer . a little more relaxed. soon we’ll be back in the swing of things I am sure.