Unlimited access >

Fecal Water Syndrome/Stemmy Hay/Laminitis Risk

I ordered some of this today! It’s being added to their website soon. The working name is WaterWerks, but it’s CP121121. GutWerks is the base, plus psyllium, butyric acid and other ingredients.

Should be here by the end of the week. I’ll give it a couple weeks, and report back.

1 Like

Oh that’s awesome! Triple Crown (and some other companies, like Blue Seal) have added butyric acid to their products relatively recently (like in the last few years, not 6 months ago) for hind gut support. It, and zinc, help create healthy intestinal walls

Part of why people find that Assure Guard Gold works, is it’s their Assure Guard product, + added psyllium

1 Like

I’m on another 10 lb bucket of WaterWerks. His butt is clean! I’m continuing with the 1/2 cup scoop I used for SandTrap. If it gets worse I can adjust accordingly. He really has this deal about clean inside thighs. Not confined to fecal water. Separates his hind legs and stomps one to make sure i know I have been summoned,.

I’m glad to see fecal water finally getting some attention! When Rod and I first talked I felt like i was alone on a desert. We couldn’t find anything online. He got some calls plus the booth at a couple of expos. That created a group to test 121121, to be known forever as WaterWerks. This is the reason why i get supplements from HorseTech.

and the cookies, of course. Early on in the pandemic we got an email about supply problems. It was very odd to open an order and they weren’t there. At least the box sitll said “Thanks!”

4 Likes

From going on my third summer with it with not to many people in real life knowing about it, me too!! My vet knew about it, but the internet has been much more of a wealth of help in regards to it.

I’m going to keep the gut works on my radar. I just ordered more of the Platinum Balance and am going to order their broader GI formula which contains quite a bit more, including the BioSponge. I already feed flax and it would be nice to just have to buy one product. It actually might be a hair more cost effective this way as well.

We’ve been totally dry with the cooler 70’s temps now now since starting the Balance a week ago. Today it was up to 90 and he had a little leakage, but not super bad given how hot it was:

It’s hard to tell how much the auto feeder is playing into things, we got that up and running last Wednesday. I did notice tonight cleaning his stall (im on self care so I have a feel for what to expect there :joy:) that there was less poop than I would have expected (alleged side effect per iFeed) and it was a much better consistency than I’ve been seeing. Either way, I feel better that he has that now and doesn’t have an empty stomach complicating things more.

So happy to read this! How long until you started seeing results? Not that I’m eager or anything, but even though we’re washing his butt every day, and applying a generous amount of AloeVesta, the scald zone is spreading.

Taking a second look as he is currently getting CalTrace Plus…would adding the GI formula to this be overdoing it anywhere? @JB … any insight?

CalTrace Plus

Platinum GI

Macro minerals are those required in terms of grams. For example, an 1100lb horse in light-mod work needs around 27-30gm of Ca. The macro minerals in the PP are present in amounts less than 1gm, with the exception of K which is 1.2gm. Meaning, the amounts are insignificant.

Trace minerals are those required in terms of milligrams. That same horse needs around 100mg of Cu and 400mg Zn. PP has 14mg and 120mg respectively. Those amounts are a little more significant, but not to any point of ODing

PP has .8mg Se, but on top of the 2mg in the CTP, it doesn’t bother me. For peace of mind, it might be a good idea to do a blood Se check a few months after making the change, just to be sure. I don’t know what the Se content of your hay is generally like. But 3mg on top of what’s in most hay isn’t usually a big deal.

The vitamins in the PP are fine on top of the CTP

The amino acids in PP are pretty insignificant, so no benefit provided there.

There’s really not a lot of most things in PP. I suspect most benefits are from the flax and fatty acid profile

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

We are in a low Se area in southern Maine. They need “some” so I started HorseTech’s Natural Vit E with Se. (He also gets their biotin and a joint formula.) What I didn’t think about when I started grain was how much Se it added. He needed some calories and minerals etc. that JB talks about. (I hope she never makes us take a quiz. :grin: ) “Some plus some” isn’t too much where it is low, except that in can be. The new vet did blood work and Se was at - not near - the top of the safe range. Rod at HorseTech converted them to grams(?) and checked the online Se map. I switched to natural Vit E without Se.

How long did it take to clean up the water?? He started 1/2 cup scoop of SandTrap in August and by Oct/Nov it was much better. Every few days during the winter a wet towel and curry cleaned it up. He started WaterWerks at the beginning of April, still using the 1/2 cup scoop. It finished the job. He’s been clean for a few months now. He’s 28 so I’ll keep him on it.

2 Likes

You and me both! I feel like I read exponentially more than I retain, but I usually can pull something up fast to confirm :joy:

We had a soggy butt day today after two hot and humid days. It’s definitely improving so that’s good and we’ve only been on the Balance for a little over a week. I ordered a months worth of the Platinum Performance GI and it will be here Friday. I do his feed prep Fridays and will start it then and hope it doesn’t taste bad LOL. I also have more of the Balance coming to add the “advanced needs” dose when we have stretches of the hotter weather. I’m really hoping the biosponge contained in the GI formula will help that little extra. We will see.

1 Like

If a horse is eating 10kg of hay that has 3ppm copper, and you’re feeding 6lb of a feed that has 300ppm Cu, plus 120gm of a supplement that has 1400ppm Cu, how many mg of Cu is that horse eating?
:nerd_face:

4 Likes

Sadly I remember why I stunk at math. :joy:

I think I had it til the 120gm. Oh well, at least this forum is generous with math skills. :laughing:

3 Likes

Ummmmmmmm… too many? no, wait, 17.4??? What color is the horse?

I love to share my horse with kids with challenges. We have new friend whose older sister is taking lessons. He is profoundly shy, hiding behind mom and peeking out. My perfect therapy horse and I clicked. We started just saying Hi! He started having conversations with me. He asked me to watch him ride at another barn. Mom is still shocked. The family doesn’t have the money for him to continue riding, so I’ll pay for lessons and camps. Both kids have the softest hands. He gets my horse so chill that he almost collapsed the other day. He is wicked smart and a mathematical genius at age 8. Try this:

How old is he? 28
5 minutes later: How old was he when you got him? 3 days short of his 7th birthday.
5 minutes later: So you have had him for 21 years.

I asked mom about quadratic equations. She doesn’t think so - yet.

Watch out JB!

3 Likes

Don’t know the color but the horse is definitely 8.3 miles from the train station and is trotting.

4 Likes

Which way? Toward you? Or away from you?

3 Likes

Redirecting from the math…

Penn State Extension is offering a FREE Lunch and Learn webinar August 15th on Free Fecal Water. I have registered!

4 Likes

Updating on the Platinum GI. It came a couple days early, so I added a half dose to his already prepped meals. I prep meals for the week on Fridays and started the full dose then. This week has been rough with high temps and humidity, and today was the hottest day we’ve had all summer. I can’t complain!

5 Likes

That’s AMAZING!

1 Like

I’m going to give Leif a month on the new probiotic and if that doesn’t work I’m going to try this. The past few weeks have been horrible. Cow patty manure, messy legs…

It’s nice to see a clean Fjordie bum!

1 Like

I am still waiting to walk into a messy butt…but am cautiously optimistic! Yesterday was low 90’s and humid, after a few days of hot and more humid so I was thrilled. Of course, its the most expensive thing I’ve tried :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :sob:

@rubygirl1968 I hope the probiotics help!! FW looks especially sad on a fjord!

1 Like