Unlimited access >

Feed for the working broodmare

Hi, I am a long time lurker! I am looking for insight on the best feed for my 5yr old TB mare. She is currently in light to moderate work. I will be breeding her come spring to a warmblood stallion for her first foal. I plan to keep her in same level of work through most of her pregnancy. She is currently getting Ultium (6lbs), Alfalfa hay(10lbs) and Timothy hay(10-12lbs) divided into 3 meals daily. She keeps her weight nicely on this diet but I feel that the Ultium is geared for more of a performance horse and not sure if suitable to keep her on during gestation and after foaling. Am I wrong? I would like to have her on a balanced diet suitable for her and the development of the foal. I have access to TC,Purina and Seminole feeds. I have contacted some feed reps and am taking into consideration their input, but I also know they are promoting their specific brand of feed. Any ideas/input is greatly appreciated!!:winkgrin:

Easy - Ultium Growth, TC Growth, or TC Sr.

TC Sr, and the old TC Growth formula were nearly identical. The new TC Growth has more oats and iirc 18% NSC compared to the old 15%, but still pretty good. The Sr is just more like the old Growth, and at 11.7% NSC, would be my preference.

Ultium Growth is 18% NSC I think, so probably a tie for 2nd with TC Growth.

I’ve been successfully breeding racehorses for 30 years. The best advice I can give you is regardless the feed you choose, put your mare on Mare Plus now. There is no substitute and there is a very real difference in how your mare(s) settle, their pregnancies progress and the health of her foal.

Mine eat a 14% pellet from my local mill with 1/2 cup Calf Manna and 1 oz of Mare Plus. While nursing, the Calf Manna is doubled.