Unlimited access >

Feed from petco.com - free delivery!

I ordered Renew Gold from petco.com - about same price as my local feed store (but got 50% off first order if you set up for recurring) and free shipping!! This blows me away, that they would offer free shipping on something so heavy.
Granted they don’t have a large selection, but do have some basics like beet pulp and alfalfa pellets (Standlee).

Isn’t it crazy? After the Buckeye plant fire over the summer, I ordered feed from Chewy a few times while the supply chain was out of whack. Some of the products were cheaper than my feed store with free shipping!

2 Likes

I wonder how long it’ll last. They have my preferred shavings for cheaper with free shipping thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking too, probably won’t last but I’ll enjoy it while I can!

Yes I have been doing that for a few years now with Grow n Win. Cheaper to have it delivered by Chewy than drive and get it. The only feed store that carried ration balancers was a drive 45 minutes to an hour. And add in - when I was working - the only time it was open when I could get there was Saturday mornings. I haven’t priced it recently but I think it is still cheaper. On one hand they have to pay for delivery but on the other hand Chewy is not having to pay the costs associated with running a retail store.

1 Like

I wonder if the PetCo buyer will have a job? They have real bales of coastal hay in some areas

Now to order 50 bags of medium shavings …

=====
Wednesday

I have placed an order for six bags just to Test the system … order went in without an issue delivery is set for this Friday …$5.99 each with free delivery on orders over $35.

Got the email confirmation

4 Likes

Wow glad you posted this! Looks like they have the Standlee alfalfa cubes as well! I used to be able to order this from Chewy but then they stopped carrying it. Lol I once ordered from Chewy a couple of compressed alfalfa bales, couple of bags of cubes and some other stuff. I’m sure the FedEx guy wasn’t happy! :laughing:

1 Like

I have been purchasing Buckeye from Chewy for over 2 years now. I used to drive 65 miles each way before the pandemic, and truly could not justify doing that now with fuel prices.

I have placed orders and have had them delivered in less than 24 hours. The feed has always been fresh and I have never had issues with bugs, dust, mold or bad feed.

I checked prices with other Buckeye dealers before initially ordering from Chewy, and their prices were right in line with other feed stores.

Honestly, the only negative I see with buying from Chewy is the cardboard boxes the feed ships in. I do take them to be recycled, but wish there was a better way to ship them. Will say that in over 2 years of having my feed shipped this way I have never had a broken or damaged bag.

3 Likes

I have been using my broken down Chewy cardboard boxes to mulch with in my vegetable garden. So I guess in a way I am recycling them. I have never gotten bad feed either. Can’t say the same for TSC.

3 Likes

Me too!

I really want a big cardboard shredder.

1 Like

As much as I love this option for people MILES away from a local feed store, if you have a local store, please consider using it or you’ll lose it to Chewy/Petco.
Do we really want to be 100% beholden to online delivery services for essentials like FEED?
I will gladly pay a bit more at my local Agway. They have friendly, knowledgeable, local people who carry a lot of stuff that I need “now!”
I will cry if these big online retailers put them out of business.

5 Likes

Quite a few times when I go to local stores the item I’m looking for is not in stock.

3 Likes

Okay, so when they go out of business completely, and Chewy/Petco suddenly can’t get your order either, what do you do?

2 Likes

We have two “local” feed stores plus TSC which will not carry ration balancers ( they need the shelf space for cheap sweet feed). One store is 45 minutes from me and they only carry Triple Crown RB which my pony doesn’t like. They have a rodent problem too. I have gotten chewed up bags before. The other “local” store is over an hour away. If you don’t get caught by the train. If you call to make sure the feed is in stock before you drive over there they will tell you they have it. But when you get there they may have it or not. But “you can come back tomorrow”. Umm - I have a job. (Or did at that time.) And lets not talk about the moldy feed at TSC.

I realize they cannot keep everything in stock all the time but I dislike driving up and down the road when I have other things to do. When I was working the only time they were open that I could get there was Saturday AM. If they were out of my feed I was up a creek. When Chewy couldn’t get Gro N Win due to the fire they had another brand available and they gave me a discount on it because my regular brand wasn’t available. I don’t think the local stores will go out of business because I use Chewy. I only use one bag of feed a month.

4 Likes

I haven’t used Petco delivery for this exact reason.

But the feed store at the bottom of my street does not and will not carry what I need, because apparently Timothy Pellets and rice bran are too esoteric for their regular customers. The other feed store I pass on the way to the barn (which I have used for 20 years) has got very hit or miss on whether they have things in stock–and when they do have it, they are more crippled than I am so I have to load my own truck, and the TSC near the barn charges me $10 a bag more for Maxiglo Rice bran than Petco would and won’t help me load my truck because there are never any staff in there–and the woman at the checkout desk wants to know if I’ve found God. (Oh, and they’ve been out of Timothy pellets the last couple of times I’ve been in, so I’ve found neither them nor God.)

So, it’s getting very tempting.

3 Likes

regarding the bagged shavings from PetCo, I did order 6 bags which was just over the threshold for Free Shipping, Order took three days for them to process, shipped UPS in PetCo boxes (if you ever need nice large boxes this is an inexpensive method of purchasing them)

UPS took one day to deliver, stacking the boxes neatly by the garage out of the weather.

The 8 cu/ft bags are light… I wondered about that until I used some to see that there is no dust in the bags, just medium flake pine shavings.

So at this point in time I am not displeased nor jumping up and down in happiness.

The price is right at $5.99 delivered (plus a free really nice box)

5 Likes

Thanks for this tip! I hate all the cardboard so I probably won’t do it often but wow. I ordered on Tues and is scheduled to be delivered Thursday. Not to mention the rice bran is nearly $10 cheaper than tractor supply. Great to have in a pinch when the stores don’t have what you need!

1 Like

Thank you for updating us on this.

1 Like

I ordered a bale of standlee alfalfa and then three bags for shavings to get the free shipping. The bags were so small that I probably would only order them again if I need to make up an order for free shipping. It all came super fast though!

That is considerably less than what I pay for a bag of shavings, about $8.50. Though my bags are pretty big.

I like to support my local feed store but I am also loyal to my wallet. In normal times, my horses live out 24/7 and I don’t go through many shavings. Ordering sporadically is appealing. Of course, my horses are hell bent on making sure nothing is normal on my farm lately.

2 Likes