Unlimited access >

Feed-thru fly control

@Red_Barn that’s really interesting, thank you! I have one that is just really bothered, especially with the GNATS, and I’'ll give this a try for her! :grin:

1 Like

They basically just stay away. And it works on everything except those massive moose flies, which ain’t scared a nothin’. I don’t think anything works on them, honestly.

My horse is allergic to gnats too, and it’s great for that. I know this because he used to get terrible midline dermatitis, but last year, with the Vectra, he had almost nothing in the way of bumps and scabs.

It’s seriously good stuff.

1 Like

I am SUPER exciting about that. The gnats have come out in force–I’m always surprised how early they appear! Having to use fly spray when they’re still working on losing the winter coat just doesn’t seem fair :frowning:

Let us know how it works. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s been a real life saver for me.

Monthly @Red_Barn? How many tubes for a 1300 16.3 hand horse ? Any way you could post your vets chart ? I am very intrigued. Thanks !

yes, was recommended by our equine vet who did not have it, but daughter also works (job number 2 of 3) as vet tech at a small animal clinic who had it… it is packaged in various strengths… we are using for “dogs over 95 lbs”

I see we have additional packs for the others setting on the counter so will able to say if this works pretty soon and how long the treatment lasts. For a “dog” it supposed to be effctive for 30 days.

Hmm Vectra sounds like it might be a good option. I have horrible gnats in addition to flies, especially with all the rain we have been having.

Is that the purple Vectra for dogs 56-95 lbs? That is the biggest dog category I can find at Chewy.

I’d happily post it if I still had it, but I’m afraid I don’t. It was just a hand drawn thing she made herself and copied. I’ll draw a new one for you after dinner, and see if I can figure out how to post it.

I use exactly the same stuff Clanter does, which is here:

The package with a cute St Bernard on it and labeled “FOR DOGS OVER 95 LBS” comes with three tubes in it, which I imagine would be more than enough for your 16.3 hand horse. I use two for my 18h guy, along with Solitude, and it works very well. If you have lots of bugs I suppose you might need more.

It’s meant to last a month, but I generally reapply at something closer to two-and-a-half or three weeks, especially at the height of the fly season.

2 Likes

I found the dogs over 95 at Canada Vet. I will have to compare prices.

Yay! I was actually able to upload. :slightly_smiling_face:

The tubes have a nice little dripper tip, and I apply a drop every inch or two, along the lines above.

4 Likes

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. Has anyone tried this Neoporex spray for fly control?

No but I’m so tempted! Thanks for the reminder!

Some of these things I read about during winter, and forget to apply when summer rolls around. So perhaps some conversation will help me remember to try it.

1 Like

Last year I used Simplifly for the first time and I found there were virtually no flies! But that may have been influenced by a few other factors: 1) it was year 3 with me using the H-trap and I’ve heard it takes about 3 years to see a change. 2) my herd went down from 5 to three. 3) The previous year I had used fly predators for the first time, but didn’t notice a difference so I stopped using them. I will use Simplifly again this year and see how it goes!

The H-trap is totally worth it, by the way. It catches barn flies as well as the other biting flies

1 Like

I’m glad you dragged up this thread, I had long forgotten!! And yeah a good reminder before fly season actually gets here!

2 Likes

When do you start using the feed-throughs?

I have been using fly predators and have them on order again this year but wouldn’t mind trying to reduce flies even further.

The Neporex looks really interesting but it is pricey. I couldn’t find a “small” container for sale. So I will let the rest of you trial it for me. Predators didn’t work for me so I don’t want to spend that much unless it works pretty well.

I started using Simplifly this year on March 1st, because we had a run of warm days and I started seeing flies. Since then (of course) temperatures have dropped and I haven’t seen any evidence of flies.

I generally start Simplifly at the first of March, but we had a very warm February and flies were already starting, so I started sometime around the first week or so of February. I’m in Coastal SC.