Unlimited access >

Feed-thru fly control

I’m practically daydreaming about fly season as we’re still plowing our driveways up in Canada :joy:

I had to look it up as I’d not heard of it before. It looks like something that would work very well, IF - big IF - you’re able to spray/manage a large area, and have no nearby neighbors contributing to the fly problem. I can’t see how this would be cost effective in a large barn, especially having to use it every 2-3 weeks and on so many surfaces. 1 lb in a gallon of water covers 200 sq ft?? That’s not even 2-12x12 stalls.

Maybe in a commercial application where you could “overhead spray” in a very large quantity/space all at once?

You and me both, Weezer! I’d love to use Simplifly, or Solitude IGF, but can’t figure out how to get either into Canada in case spring and summer ever actually arrive.

The last couple of years, in addition to feeding either SimpliFly or Equitrol (basically same thing, I select whichever one is the best price including shipping), I also use the trick that @Simkie recommended of soaking Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelensis (BTI) dunks made for mosquitoes in water and sprinkling that water in/around the barn. I have found this to be very helpful.

I originally used the circular dunks I already hand on hand, then purchased the ones that are smaller bits, put the bits in a mesh bag, and place the bag in a watering can to soak. Makes it easy to apply to around the barn, and the little bag of Bti can be used over and over.

ETA: this is inexpensive to do, too

2 Likes

As long as you’re picking up manure, using Neporex on your manure pile achieves the same thing as feeding Solitude IGR to every horse on your property. It treats the manure with Cyromazine. That’s the point.

Spraying it en masse sounds like an insect holocaust. There’s no need for that. Target the application.

1 Like

I read the label. It says to spray/apply anywhere flies breed - under bedding, on walls, damp areas, manure piles…. So it’s not just the manure pile itself.
Label also indicates it is safe for other insects just targets flies. I’m skeptical of that but ? maybe so.

We’re talking about an off label application here. To replace Solitude IGR.

Flies also do not breed in a clean stall, or on a stall wall.

I start with the feed-thru as soon as I see the first flies appearing outside.