Unlimited access >

Feeding Hay Strecth Only, what should I supplement? * Overweight Horse

I have a horse that I cannot seem to get a handle on his weight.

Going to try feeding hay stretch only but I want to make sure I am supplementing adequately.

Hay stretch that I will be using is Protein 12%, Fat 3% and Fibre 25%.

Horse is currently getting 2 scoops of Equestro Equine Super Diet as a ‘multi-vitamin’ plus added E/Selenium and 1 scoop Purica Recovery Extra Strength.

Should I be looking at changing the supplement part of his diet where he won’t be getting a ‘complete feed’ any more?

What about feeding just hay? perhaps a ration balancer, but Idon’t know what “hay stretch” is, (going to go google it). Fiber seems to help them stay happy with less calories.

1 Like

Essentially I will only be feeding hay if I am only feeding hay stretch IMO.

Nothing in his dish at feed times wouldn’t be an option. He’d be pretty angry!

1 Like

Do you mean that you are going to stop feeding hay and only feed hay stretcher instead? If so, I would suggest that you feed hay instead of hay stretcher, as the hay will require more chewing time which would help with weight loss and also make your horse feel more satisfied. You could decrease your horse’s hay to 1.5% of body weight daily and see where you are after a few weeks.

I sure wouldn’t take away hay entirely in an effort to make a horse lose weight.

5 Likes

They don’t understand quantity. Just throw a handful in there to shut him up, that’s what we do with the minis.

2 Likes

So it’s still unclear, but I think you have a fat horse that eats hay and grain, and you want to change to hay plus hay stretcher?

If your horse is fat - the first thing I would try to do is measure the amount of hay that he is eating all day long. And, if possible, reduce that amount.

The couple of scoops of grain add to the total daily caloric intake, but not necessarily a lot if the horse is eating hay all day long.

If you can’t change the hay quantity (if the horse is fed in a herd, for example), you can consider muzzling for part of the day at least.

Then - I would at least switch to a ration balancer or grain designed for easy keepers, not hay stretcher. My two easy keepers get a minimum ration of Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care, while my TB gets a big ration of Nutrena Safe Choice Senior. They get a flake of hay at the same time, so they aren’t total jerks in their stalls while she eats.

What is hay stretch or hay stretcher?

Hay stretcher is a pelleted hay product; what is in it depends on the brand. Usually the ones that are called “hay stretcher” are not just pelleted hay, like when you buy timothy or alfalfa pellets.

For horses – like my mare – who can exist on air, I usually feed a ration balancer. That ensures they get the vitamins/minerals they need without a lot of calories. I add it to soaked beet pulp and my mare is super happy that she gets a good portion! She also gets fed a significant amount of hay, which includes a flake of alfalfa twice a day. To make her hay last longer, I feed in a small hole nibble net.

Hay stretcher is not a full ration, so if you feed only that, your horse will not have its nutritional needs met. It is also not long-stem forage (like hay, hay cubes or beet pulp), so it’s not a substitute for those.

1 Like

No, still free choice hay. But remove the grain entirely.

I tried feeding only a cup but it just didn’t work out with his supplements. And his neighbor eats a lot of grain so he wasn’t happy about gobbling his up and watching him.

I can’t find a quality RB so I feed a multi vitamin supplement and some other things, so he needs something for those… won’t eat BP.

He’s on free choice hay, and he eats it just as fast in a small hole hay net (even tried double netting) as he does with it on the ground.

This is my first ever easy easy keeper, I am great at getting weight on them… off seems to be much harder!

Tough nuts. Feed hay pellets with his supplements to boost the quantity, and then stiff him elsewhere.

Emotional feeding drives me bonkers, sorry.

2 Likes

Our available hay stretcher has molasses and soy in it so I prefer just to do a hay pellet. I’m currently getting Standlee Teff pellets for my fatty since the sugar is lower than other brands. I add my vitamin/mineral supplement (California Trace).

Fatty is happy because he is eating with the other horses, and I can keep his calories down.

If your horse actually is fat, then you have to eliminate the free choice hay. Small and more frequent feeding helps to sooth them but they will have time between meals without something to eat.

He may not be happy seeing his neighbor eating but really he will get over it. Can you find a pelleted supplement that tastes good that he would eat with just a cup of something?

If you let him get to the stage where he has fat pads and a big neck sometimes there is no going back and it can happen rather quickly. Horses that are true easy keepers have to be limited or they ultimately pay a huge price.

They may not like it but they will adjust. It is hard to be the bad guy. Ask me how I know. I have one too.

2 Likes

Eliminate it or muzzle the horse if it’s a herd situation. He will get enough that way without being able to stuff himself.

1 Like

He was getting free choice hay, and 1/2L of Purina Sport XT with supplements (x2 daily).

Now he is still getting free choice hay, and 1L of hay stretch with supplements (x2 daily)

I always like to have hay in front of my horses 24/7, I’ve had good luck with avoiding any major ulcer issues, etc. And a horse with hay is not looking for trouble.

Along with removing the grain, I have also picked up some hay lower in nutrition specifically for this horse.

The one I picked up should be considered more of a hay pellet than a hay stretcher, but it’s called hay stretch.

The weather is getting nicer so his workload will increase - I am hoping that the heavier exercise and removal of the grain will help shed some pounds.

Emotional feeding? Happier horses = happier rides IME

1 Like

Less fat horse = healthier joints and better fitness = happier rides.

3 Likes