Unlimited access >

Feeding Large Squares

We just got a couple large squares to try. We are hoping to do free choice in the pasture like we do with round rolls. Anything we should be aware of before wasting this beautiful hay?

If we decide to continue with these large squares, is there a best practice for feeding in the field? Hay hut for squares? We can’t do nets because of shoes. Looking for options.

How do you do it?

We use the large squares the same way we use the rounds.

We have a feeder with sides (and a roof), net the bale and put it in there.

1 Like

The large squares I have purchased were super quality western hay imported from far away and were way too expensive to throw the whole bale out for the horses to pick over. I just peeled off flakes and fed it a flake at a time. But I am only feeding 3 horses with it.

2 Likes

That is what I am worried about too, but we are feeding 15 between 2 fields, so 9 in one and 6 in the other.

That is why I am trying to understand if there is anything to help with feeding the full bale instead of flakes. It is our first time trying them, so we will probably play around to figure out what works for us.

I usually feed small squares but one year had also had some large squares. Basically, I used them the same as small squares - using flakes at a time rather than moving whole bales around due to where they were stored. I have a hay hut and other feeders as well as occasionally put flakes out on ground in cold winter weather.

Hay hut or other covered structure, for sure. If you can make a matted/concrete base for it, too, even better.

2 Likes

I feed 3x3x7 square bales and use a poly ring with a slow feeding net on it. They were purchased from www.slowfeeder.com (in Canada). I like them because you can lift them up yourself and put out hay.

Did get the bales custom baled so they fit easily rather than a 3x3x8 bale.

Nancy

We love feeding large square bales…they’re easier to store and much easier to manage feeding because we can feed one or more “flakes” or feed the entire bale depending on the feeder. We also have a few shod horses, so all of our net feeders are “boxes” that use a net attached to a frame for easy filling. The solid side walls of the feeder protect the horses as well as the netting.

I have been feeding large squares exclusively for 4 years. I find they are easier to deal with for storage and can be fed in a feeder or can be fed by the flake.

I use a Century poly ring feeder and make a roof structure over it to keep the hay dry since it takes my 2 around 2 1/2 - 3 weeks to finish a bale. Feeding as many as you have, the hay will go much faster and you shouldn’t have to worry about wet and mold.

How do you all move the large squares from the barn to the feeder?

1 Like

Bale spear or fork lift attachment on the tractor, in place of the bucket.

Edit to add - I feed the bale whole in a small hole hay net.

1 Like

I have been feeding large squares for a few years now. The biggest problem I have had is with the quality the last couple of years, even when using 3 different suppliers. I am hoping for a better hay year this year.

I use dumpster bags to split the bales in 3 by lifting the bale with the forks on the tractor and putting a bag in either end. I then lower it down, cut the strings, flip the two bags up and flip the middle part of the bale into another bag. I use the forks on the tractor to move the bags to the hay hut when they are needed, or feed out flake by flake depending on the weather.

Alternatively, I have put a bag on one end of the bale, an then dropped it onto the pallet in the hay hut. When I cut it, I flip the bag up, and bring it back in the barn. There is usually a little too much hay left for the hay hut to be flipped down, so I take the few extra flakes off the side and put them on top of the bale. I have a net attached to the hay hut which keeps the hay from making too much of a mess.

I didn’t use the net much this year as the quality of the hay was iffy, so I wanted the horses to be able to pick through it a bit.
Bags that fit about 1/3 bale: ETA - 200 gallon bags fit 1/3 bale. The 100 gal bags are good for moving 1-2 flakes.

also, these fit a whole bale:

1 Like

Ohh! I like this idea and am saving it. I just peeled off the flakes of two 3x3’s and stacked them (messily) all over the barn. The last third of the bale I can tie up, push off the truck and roll into place. I would really really like to keep the bales in several chunks as opposed to pulling it off by the flake unless I can feed it off the truck or trailer as needed. Which wasn’t going to work this time. By keeping it in a chunk it takes up less space and isn’t so messy. My tractor can’t pick up a whole 3x3 but could pick up a chunk of one. Very helpful idea!

1 Like