Unlimited access >

FEI bit diameter rules

There’s a chance I might do a 1* in a year if all goes well. However, my sensitive mare has a very small gap between upper and lower gums, and finds a 14mm bit gag worthy. We use 12mm snaffles exclusively, but FEI rules state “Dressage: Minimum diameter of 14mm. for horses and 10 mm. for ponies - Eventing rules art. 539.2.2”

I have tried various Neue Schule, Herm Sprenger etc 14mm bits to no avail - she is clear that a 12mm lozenge snaffle is the only option. Has anyone encountered this issue and what did they do?

The bit gets measured right next to the cheek piece. You might try a mouth piece that tapers from the cheek piece to a narrower diameter, or wrapping the part right next to the cheek piece with latex to achieve the 14mm diameter requirement.

So sealtex is a legal way to increase the diameter? I didn’t know!

I worked the dressage warm-up for an FEI event this fall. I would definitely take your bits and get them checked if they’re even slightly close. I saw a few eliminations and more last minute runs to change bits minutes before going in the ring.

I also saw some discrepancies. One professional mentioned they had gotten the ok with one bit wrapped (I believe in vet wrap or something similar) in their last FEI event, and the official at our event said no because the actual rule says “latex” is alowed not “parital latex” and what they were using had other materials than latex.

3 Likes

Hm, yes there’s this: “In all 3 Eventing Tests, any wrapping of material (except Latex/rubber) around the bit or additions to the bit in the horse’s mouth are not permitted.” from FEI Eventing Guidelines on Use of Tack, Equipment and Dress 2023 20.04.2023.pdf

So, if it’s a non latex bit wrap that appears to not be OK. How does the FEI steward know if it’s latex or non latex, if something that looks like latex is used? Sealtex has been in short supply. Equifit Essential BitTape and Plughz Bit Tape are “latex free” but Fager Mouth Corner Bit Tape says it is FEI legal though doesn’t list latex.

But does that wrapping count for bit diameter?

So. . . Full disclosure here, I hold stewarding licenses in Eventing, Jumping and Driving.

The bit referred to above that was wrapped with vet wrap did result in elimination because the rule is pretty specific and vet wrap is not considered latex (like sealtex) . The Equifit tape is a silicon material that has been being allowed on an event by event basis dependent of ruling of chief Steward, TD and PoGJ.

You can, and should always ask the FEI Stewards if you have any questions regarding legality of tack and equipment. It’s our job to help you navigate through ever changing rules and we are very happy to do so. Keep on mind some of the rules are subject to interpretation, some rules are vague, and the tack rules are constantly being updated. The FEI Tack App is useful to a point, but is a work in progress.

4 Likes

Well this is helpful! So @Mack_the_Knife I can’t find anything in the rules about wrapping a bit to make it wider, and I might be reading between the lines too much but your post about wrapping the bit implies maybe that it’s not 100% for sure that the wrapping to make it wider would be accepted? Or are you saying it would be?

Certainly asking a steward at a show is a great idea, but than I’m in a position of stress, having to change bits an so on. I’d rather get the horse used to a new bit with plenty of time and knowing for sure that what she wears is legal, you know?

2 Likes