Unlimited access >

FEI Jumping Guidelines with pictures

FEI just released their jumping guidelines with pictures.

They show that the Ophena stirrups are legal for use in all FEI competitions.

1 Like

Wonā€™t help for USEF non-FEI

Arenā€™t they already legal for national events?

They have to specifically tell people to not tape their feet to the stirrups.
Who the heck, when going to ride at an FEI level event, was like ā€˜yeah, Iā€™ll just use electrical tape to tape my feet in place. That will work greatā€™.

Because you KNOW someone did that. And thatā€™s why thereā€™s a rule now.

9 Likes

FEI isnā€™t necessarily a very high level, just that it has FEI in the name of the class and one has to register the horse and rider with the FEI to participate.

1 Like

Why would it be mandated that a Pelham has to be used with only one rein? (For CSI(O)P level).

1 Like

I havenā€™t been able to find what exactly that level means.
Edit - it must mean Pony Riders competing on Ponies, which I gather is why they want to restrict to one rein for junior riders?

Under USEFā€™s minimum criteria to compete abroad: ā€œFor CSI-P or CSIO-P, riders must have competed in a jumper class at 1.10 meter or higher completing the course with 4 faults or less within the previous 12
months of the date of the nominated entries of the competition for which they are applying.ā€

So it could also be a children/adult jumper class.

1 Like

It still does not make sense to mandate one rein. That is a weird thing to mandate if you ask me.

6 Likes

Right - at any level, it doesnā€™t make sense to mandate improper use of a bit? Either ban the equipment outright, or let it be used how it was intended. Bizarre.

12 Likes

that is nuts - if you are jumping a course at over 1m you should be capable of using two reins or use a different bit, these arenā€™t cross rail kiddies

5 Likes

Exactly! And thereā€™s nothing preventing a double bridle from being used with two reins and thereā€™s also nothing preventing the elevator bit from being used with two either!

1 Like

i think they mean you MUST use a converter. Still odd I agree.

ā€œOnly one rein allowed ā€“ to be used with a connecting piece or with the rein attached to the larger ring of the bit.ā€

Why is the Pessoa Waterford illegal? Is a ā€œPessoaā€ any bit with more than one ring?

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing in this context, ā€œPessoaā€ is basically the brand name, and itā€™s a bit stamped with the approval of either Rodrigo or Nelson Pessoa. Similar to a Pessoa saddle or a Pessoa lunging rig.

1 Like

I think they mean multiple rings with a jointed bit. Some horses who grab at the bit and also need some leverage go great in a Waterford with two or three rings. With an educated hand, obviously. Sounds like thatā€™s illegal?

I am still floored by this. This rule makes no sense at all.

3 Likes

Particularly as there is a picture of what looks like a pelham with two reins in one of the ā€œapprovedā€ images.

I believe it is saying a waterford with two or three rings is only illegal at the CSI(O)P level.

My takeaway from this guide is that pretty much any bit goes except at the lower levels, where you are not allowed to ride with two reins? Bizarre.

1 Like