Unlimited access >

FEI NAYC Traverse City, MI 2022

Looking forward to the competition this week! Fingers crossed the livestream can get its act together! I’m cheering on Area 1 team, anyone else watching or is there?

1 Like

It will not be streamed by USEF this year. Clipmyhorse.com is doing it. Sign up for a free trial!

I can see it on USEF network as a member, it was just really glitchy earlier, seems to be fine now!

1 Like

Interesting, I saw lots of posts saying it was only going to be on clipmyhorse. Good luck to everyone competing!

1 Like

I scribed today and will be scribing the entire show.

It went very well. A beautiful sunny day, with a nice breeze. Lots of very nice combinations and many solid rides. I overheard that the livestream wasn’t working so I hope it’s back on for the rest of the week.

We had a full Junior team from Region 5 this year, three from AZ and one from CO, and all four of the girls did very well. They finished out of the medals but it was so nice to see a team compete here at this level and they all gained some serious CDI/big-ring experiences.

7 Likes

That’s great! the live stream did end up working which was wonderful to watch. This is the first time our friends daughter is competiting so it’s fun to follow along. So many beautiful combinations!

I’m cheering on the Canadians! They are all pretty inexperienced at this type of environment so I’m not necessarily expecting them to be competitive, but hope they ride good tests and have fun. And if they do well, even bet the r!

2 Likes

Are the Juniors getting FEI medals this year ?

1 Like

Does anyone know where to look for the results?

1 Like

https://results.hippodata.de/2022/2163/html/en/hippodata/index.html It has dressage and show jumping

So, it appears my son is up for a road trip to see his girlfriend ride there Friday. Wish us luck! 10 hours I think for the drive lol.

1 Like

Silver medal for the Canadian junior team! I’m so happy for them - such a great bunch of kids.

3 Likes

They got medals yesterday for sure. I didn’t stay for the awards presentation but there are photos of the riders with their medals on the US Dressage Facebook page. Did they not get them in past years?

There seem to be fewer YR pairs compared with last year. Today’s team test is scheduled from 9am to 12:45pm Eastern time. Last year a microburst wreaked a little havoc on Wednesday and so the Wednesday classes were moved to Thursday & Friday afternoons which changed the timing of ceremonies and everything else.

So far this year, it’s all more to schedule.

Scribing was a great idea! Wish you’d told me, I’d have met you there. I’ve got company all weekend, so I’m out this year. Let’s think about planning for next year.

One of the girls on the Canadian team is local to me. I’ve never met such a down to earth young teenager - this would have been about 5 years ago or so. I remember riding in the same clinic as her and she was such a quiet, tactful rider.

1 Like

Last year the Juniors didn’t receive FEI medals, they were given USEF medals instead (not enough Canadians competed, so the Junior classes became regular CDI) There was a controversary over how it was handled, and I was hoping the riders would be given FEI medals this year.

Ah okay now that jogs my memory from last year. I do remember some of that controversy. This year they had a Canadian team and the medals do say FEI.

The show is scheduled again for Traverse City in 2023 but open to a new venue after that. It was a three-year commitment (20-21-22) but because the '20 show never happened they have tacked on 2023.

There are pros and cons to every venue so I don’t know what the governing bodies will decide. On the plus side Flintfields’ setting is beautiful, the show grounds are well laid out & the footing and staff are world class. There are also recreational things to do in the area, and many restaurants and hotels/short term rentals.

The downside is the TVC airport is not a direct flight from very many places, which makes flights expensive and also can be tricky to get good & convenient flight times. And because it’s a summer resort the hotel room prices are at a premium. That’s the biggest complaint I have heard.

We will see what they decide after next year’s comps. It is going very smoothly so far this year and the people I have talked to who’ve never been here before are loving the area.

2 Likes

Have to say the long drive here to watch has been all worth it. We have the freestyle Sunday. Have had a wonderful time!

1 Like

First, I would like to say a big Thank You for scribing. You were great and much appreciated. it is a wonderful chance to learn what the judges are looking for and to see good riding. I look forward to seeing you in the box next year. Anyone else looking to take advantage of being a volunteer; please do not hesitate to contact me! Covid severely restricted the border crossing and it was very difficult for the Canadians to fulfill their qualifying requirements as well because Covid cancelled many shows. While it was not a Continental Championships for the Juniors, none the less, the FEI allowed medals. Compared to many years ago, it is a nicer, kinder - more fuzzy FEI. Why did we have fewer riders this year? First, when you compare this year to last year; we had a huge surge last year across the board. Not just at NAYC. All horseshows. We wanted out of Covid! This year, the horse shows are done as compared to last year. We are going back to pre-Pandemic levels. As far as NAYC? We raised the minimum qualifying score from 62% to 64%. So, we expected a reduction in numbers. Over the next few years: we are expecting to see the numbers - and the overall quality continue to improve as we keep raising the bar.

5 Likes