Unlimited access >

FEI world Cup

Lottie Fry eliminated. Not sure what for.

According to dressage-news.com it was blood in the mouth. But no other details. Easily could be as simple as a unfortunate tongue nip.

And Patrick KIttel wins the final. How can that even be possible?? Not happy in any way, shape or form. :persevere: :persevere:

9 Likes

https://horsenetwork.com/2024/04/lottie-fry-everdale-eliminated-in-world-cup-final-freestyle/?amp=1

Just watched the “winning“ test. The man rides Like he’s on a piece of equipment in the gym. The horse is gaping as far as he can within the confines of the Caveson
 For about 2/3 of the test at least. There are no half hats, only versions of pulling. The rhythm is disrupted frequently. The transitions are horrible and downhill and backwards. Just yuck. I love the sport and it’s my career and this is embarrassing.

21 Likes

She was eliminated under the blood rule. She came in the ring to start and the judge saw bood in the mouth and stopped her before she could go around the outside.
Horse and Hound has an article about it, with two versions of what happened. FEI says one thing, owners say another.
This link may or may not work

My heart sank when I heard that Jovian went to Patrik Kittel.

3 Likes

This includes the video of the winner.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/swedens-kittel-win-nail-biting-world-cup-dressage-freestyle-everdale-eliminated/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1ahpSpkOdNCDZ2xdMFQbjvDLWAZk-6cC7dJdJMo_h_nX03oNmHBHRwboA_aem_ASOOsJuVmrR5P5Q_ZLUucL9fMPdab7u5A2ncoAAOxnMBBlks_TpNRFEciFvYCdBsDr1QgTj7yOwCxXCDHYz8Toqt

I wish the FEI would livestream the warmup at major completions. Without seeing a video of it, I find it hard to believe that Everdale was happy and relaxed in the warm up prior to being eliminated for blood as his owners claim.

6 Likes

I watched a perfectly happy horse being schooled by his trainer one day. They were going around relaxed and then the next time they come around, his mouth was filled with blood because he bit his tongue.

Because we don’t have cameras, I don’t know for sure that’s what happened here, but it can happen accidentally.

12 Likes

Happened to me. No idea what happened, why the horse bit his tongue. But there was blood everywhere.

My cavesson is always super loose, and it was a myler-style loose ring. Horse still managed to bite his tongue somehow, and bleed.

4 Likes

Anyone else think the FEI hashtag #PursuitofPerfection is extremely tone deaf, especially plastered all over that particular test?

#NeverSkipsArmDay might be a better one!

7 Likes

This!
I don’t know why I sometimes bite my tongue,lip, or cheek. I can imagine the same is true for horses.

5 Likes

Was it the tongue? Or did the cheeks get pinched in the loose ring where the mouthpiece is perforated for the ring? I have seen this and will not use loose rings if I can avoid it
and I make sure there are no sharp edges around the holes.

1 Like

It’s ironic that an organization that insists the horses have all that metal in their mouths, then does this crap.

2 Likes

No, the tip of his tongue. From memory, he spooked and I can only think he clamped his teeth together in surprise.

I use a LR that has a bit of excess on the sides so no rubs (it’s fit as a bradoon for a double so made sure it sits well away from the weymouth)

Disappointing to see a win go to a horse showing so much tension. He was quite uneven in front, many transitions were abrupt and he seemed braced against the bridle.

8 Likes

Blood rule is a good thing. Official does the wipe (if necessary) and off you go.
It’s not subjective. No “he bit his tongue” or other excuse.
Time to clean up dressage.

6 Likes

To me, Kittel’s horse looked unsound or at least uneven in front. And had this weird sway in passage and collected trot that almost makes me think neuro

6 Likes

Not a lot to emulate there. Some nice moments, but a lot of pulling and tension. I thought the horse had got him in the extended canter
 I just got the impression of big strong incredibly fit man very effectively shoving a horse around. There are other people I’d rather watch.

And I really don’t like the trot on that horse. Its so exagerated. It doesn’t look elegant. It did look uneven in front, but I wasn’t sure if that was an optical illusion from the giant glob of foam on his left front.

Having not seen the other rides its hard to know if the placings were fair. Thats not a monster score for a freestyle at this level. The Olympics will be interesting.

9 Likes