Unlimited access >

Fence jumping dog *vent*

sighIve acquired a new dog (I.e. she appeared on my front porch and no one has claimed her). New dog is about 6 months old. She’s got a very friendly personality, my grumpy old man dog is absolutely in love with her and I like her enough that I have no qualms keeping her. However, I work 12 hour shifts and because of that my old man has a doggy door and he has no inclinations to get out of the yard. So far, new girl has not left my yard while I’m at work but she has shown that she desperately wants to be with me when I’m outside doing chores, and cleared the fence in a blink when I was setting up to mow the lawn.

Suffice it to say I don’t like this at all, it doesn’t sit well with me to have a dog at large, even though we live in a fairly secluded area on 8 acres. So now I have to research fence extenders and coyote rollers and other things knowing full well I can’t do anything meaningful about it until next week. And I’m fully attached to this little girl and have to hope that nothing goes wrong between now and Tuesday. My only consolation is that this behavior has everything to do with wanting to get to me and maybe if I’m not there she want to try it. Ok rant over.

Edit to add photos of new lady:

17 Likes

I had really nice results with running a line of underground fence along my fence line. You’ve got to train them to the collar, but invisible fence to keep them away from the real fence is a really nice combo. If she’s going straight over without touching your fence, coyote rollers won’t work.

Btw, she looks to be in heat, or coming in, or coming out. If she’s a very recent addition, she might be bred.

5 Likes

Yes, she was in heat when I found her, she is getting fixed on Tuesday (or that’s the plan any way if she sticks around :upside_down_face:) . I’ll add the underground fence to my list of things to investigate. I’m pretty sure she climbed the fence, she was just fast about it.

1 Like

She is lovely. I can’t imagine there isn’t someone missing her? She looks well cared for too.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought, I posted her to the lost pets Facebook for our area and the next door group and checked her for a microchip and she doesn’t have one. No one in our little collection of residences has come looking for her and otherwise she could have come from anywhere. It’ll be a month that I’ve had her next week.

1 Like

Ooh what a cutie!

Cute pup! Lucky too!

I’ve seen the underground fence addition like @Simkie described work well.

Maybe someone dumped the poor thing.

We had some horrible people dump not one but two poor dogs on our road recently. Eye witnesses saw the dump and one even tried to chase the criminals down. One poor dog attempted to chase the car and was sadly struck by cross traffic at the intersection. The other dog found a soft landing with neighbors. Well behaved dog, neutered, well fed looking.

Here he is trying to be my dog

8 Likes

:frowning: people suck

6 Likes

People that dump dogs definitely suck. Especially since we have a nearby pound that takes owner surrenders (and does a fine job placing dogs).

1 Like

I have learned that many people do not want to take their dogs to the pound because they are sure (sigh) that they will just put them to sleep and if they let them loose some nice stranger will snap the dog up and provide a loving home.
They do not bother to actually learn what the shelter does or does not do, they do not bother to think of all the bad stuff that can happen to the dog living on the street.

3 Likes

I know! It’s infuriating! Instead of taking a few minutes to surrender the dog to a safe and competent org they’d rather drop them off where the chances of death by car in the first 10 mins is 50% per my recent experience.

1 Like

Around here the dumped dogs are easy to recognize, because their owners remove the collars right before they toss them out and you can see the indentations in their fur. If I find a loose dog with a collar, then I know he’s almost always got an owner that is looking for him.

They could have slipped their collar – it happens frequently – particularly with “new adoptions.” You are probably right, though.

Did you try area vets and notices at the feed/ farm / grocery stores ?? I did that too along with online sources and my in-laws ended up keeping him when nobody replied. He was thin though and looked dumped.

So sad because by the way he is you know he had a family that must have loved him. I can’t even think about a dog running after their owners car, wondering what is going on? Just makes me sick inside.

1 Like

They could, theoretically, but we catch every one and take them to be scanned for a microchip, then we post on the local lost pet FB page, put up flyers, and notify both the city and county shelters with a detailed description. Then we keep them in our garage for a couple of days to see if an owner shows up. If not, we take them to the shelter as a stray. None have ever had microchips, and none of the males have ever been neutered, and none have been claimed. That’s actually how I ended up with one of my dogs. I fell in love with him and kept him when no one came forward to claim him.

I think any new adoption would at least have a microchip implanted before it left the shelter, and most would be neutered.

2 Likes

Update on fence jumping dog progress:

I installed the pet safe underground fence, but I installed it woven through my current fence. The system works and I’ve been training her to the flags and the vibrate setting on the collar. She’s experienced the shock twice on the lowest setting and had a strong response so I switched it back to vibrate/noise for a few more training sessions and now she is much more respectful of the flags. There was one moment where she heard the noise and quickly jumped back which I saw as a good sign. Today she gets the collar set on the lowest shock with full access to the doggy door and we’ll see how it goes. She’s kind of a soft dog so I think she’s less likely to test it too much. I’ve been doing lots of play in the yard away from the flags so she knows that she’s not going to just get randomly zapped.

4 Likes

If they could think that far ahead they wouldn’t have a dog in the first place…

And I’m so happy the fence is working!