Unlimited access >

Feral cat--sad story

On my way to town yesterday, about a mile from my house, I saw a stray cat in the road ahead of me. It was very thin, walking very slowly, and I could see a red mass protruding from its butt. When I came back home, I baited our humane live trap and set it where I had last seen the cat. I thought I would more likely catch a possum or skunk instead of the cat, but when I checked the trap this morning the cat was in it.

I took the cat straight to the vet clinic, where it was sedated and examined. I was hoping this was a female cat with a prolapsed uterus, because that could likely be fixed by spaying. Unfortunately, it was a male cat with a severely prolapsed colon that already had some visible necrosis. The vet said the prolapse was most likely the result of a very heavy parasite load that caused unremitting diarrhea. He thought it would be very difficult to fix this and it had a very poor prognosis. In fact he said he had never seen a prolapse this bad on a cat. He said euthanasia was the only humane choice.

This little death made me cry. Such a sad little life, and I couldn’t help. I took the body home and we buried him with our other pets. When we buried him I was hearing the old Bob Dylan song:

“I see my light come shining
From the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now
I shall be released.”

29 Likes

I’m so sorry. Thank you, thank you, thank you for caring enough to give him a kind exit.

9 Likes

What a blessing that you did all you did for him. He was so lucky to be spotted by you, so you could end his suffering.

9 Likes

Thank you for your kindness to him.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry, but thank you for everything you did for this poor kitty. At least he knew one day of kindness in his life.

7 Likes

Thank for for helping him and ensuring that he didn’t spend more time suffering.

6 Likes

Thank you @OzarksRider for doing right by this stray! You gave him a peaceful passing! In the end, sometimes that is the best we can do! Sending jingles and virtual (((((HUGS)))))!

2 Likes

What the others said, thank you for being so kind and giving him so much kindness and mercy.

4 Likes

What a kindness for a kitty who really needed your help that day :heart:

4 Likes

You’re a good egg @OzarksRider.

1 Like

That poor kitty. Thank you for your kindness.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Thank you for giving him a kind ending. :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for caring and helping this poor feral ~

1 Like

How sad, but thank you for caring about the kitty and giving him a peaceful and humane passing.:cry:

1 Like

Bless you for your kindness.

1 Like

You have a good heart. He’ll wait for you. At least now he has someone to wait for.

3 Likes

Thank you for ending his suffering.

You are a wonderful person.