Unlimited access >

Fetlock rubs from xcountry boots

[QUOTE=katestephenson45;7133924]
My gelding tends to get rubs on the left and right side near the base of his fetlocks from his hind boots. I bought a set of the Equilibrium Airlite boots to use for xcountry schooling and shows, but it seems that they somehow rub him. I made sure to buy the correct size, so I don’t think that is the case, maybe he is just that sensitive? Mind you, he is a horse that will rub from most bell boots too, the only pair i’ve found that have been ok are the centaur neoprene ones. Are there any boots that are better for sensitive horses? Also, has anyone tried the Equifit compression “horse socks” to prevent rubs? I’m tempted but I worry they will get soggy and fall down when we go through water on course. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I bought those horse socks to try to help with some swelling from and injury and I don’t like them. They are tight at the top and bottom and not the same tightness in the middle.

Also, you could just buy some elastikon and cut off a piece–stick it on the area/s that rub.
Kind of like moleskin for humans.

Update after the event: To start, Kieran pulled himself together after some nonsense in dressage to go clean stadium/xc and land in second place ( for his second BN, i’m quite pleased) BUT I don’t have such gleaming remarks for the equifit socks. Yes, after cutting them a bit longer and wrapping the tape around 3/4 times, they did stay up after a hilly course of 16 jumps, but after taking them off, I noticed either side of his back fetlocks had rubbed again -__- I’m starting to think he just needs a more form-fitting boot (oh the bottomless money pit that is horses)

You might also want to only use XC boots when you go XC. I had to do this with one sensitive horse - he went in polo wraps often (I actually did Phases A-C at a long format event in polos, then switched to XC boots for phase D). I could not use XC boots two days in a row at a clinic, for instance. Had to have something else and then switch.

i’m going to try the elastikon with my front Dalmars this weekend at Island 22. Funnily enough the rear Dalmars don’t affect her. If that doesn’t work I guess there will be a set of Dalmars for sale :(. Can’t wait to see you there Blugal!!! It’s been so long! We could compare our Dalmars!

[QUOTE=Blugal;7140242]
You might also want to only use XC boots when you go XC. I had to do this with one sensitive horse - he went in polo wraps often (I actually did Phases A-C at a long format event in polos, then switched to XC boots for phase D). I could not use XC boots two days in a row at a clinic, for instance. Had to have something else and then switch.[/QUOTE]
I do this. I rarely use my xc boots except for events. Even if I’m doing a little xc school at home, I usually ride him in his everyday attire. This DOES help, and it saves wear and tear on my expensive boots.