Unlimited access >

Finally got that adult dog but is he to much for me to handle?

It was this part that made me say eek.

2 Likes

Using a prong collar is eek?

The bike attachment is clipped to her harness and I also clip a regular leash to either her flat collar or her prong collar that I hold in my hand. I’m not sure what is eek about this.

1 Like

No. I think they are a useful training tool.

I just do not think their use involves your emergency brake while riding your bike.

Sorry. Just my opinion.

5 Likes

Well I can see why that would be an eek response.

Why do you assume that it’s an emergency brake? I assure you if I stop my bicycle my dog will stop from the pressure on the harness.

She might be barking her head off at the car / mom pushing stroller/ kids on skateboards I stopped to let pass though. Hence either the e collar or prong. Oddly, folks are uncomfortable when my dog starts jumping in the air snapping her jaws barking at them. It’s also annoying af to me. So I ensure I have tools to enforce a cease and desist order.

The extra collars and leashes also provide insurance against equipment failure. The liability of a loose dog trained to take a real bite is not acceptable. So I take steps to guard against that possibility.

If that makes me eek, then I’ll just have to be eek I guess!

I have no issues with prong collars, but don’t think anyone can use one effectively from a bicycle, and if you crash, even if the dog is not tethered to your bike with the prong collar, they are vulnerable to injury.

The fact that the dog might actually bite someone is another whole story.

7 Likes

Why was a reactive dog trained to bite?

4 Likes

Well I will respect your opinion that there is no way to use a prong safely and effectively from a bicycle. My opinion is different, clearly :blush:

I am unsure though how a dog wearing a prong that gets loose from a bicycle is any more vulnerable than a dog being hand walked that gets loose.

I didn’t say she might bite, I said the liability of a loose dog that’s been trained to bite. If any little thing happens, the fact that the dog is “dangerous” is likely to brought up in a lawsuit.

1 Like

Because it’s very difficult to train a non reactive dog to react to the helper/agitation enough to commit to a bite.

While this is certainly a COTH classic style of thread jacking, I would like to point out that the pursuit of PPD training and “bite sports” involves a lot of training to increase drive and reactivity to a variety of stimuli. Particularly common is the use of a back tie or hand held pressure on a harness. As happens in horses sometimes, the animal will respond the same way to the same “pressures” in different circumstances where the handler may not be particularly looking for that response.

1 Like

So @walkers60 what have you decided to do with this dog?

I hope this helps you adjust your focus of what you’re looking for. This guy checked all your boxes, right? Young, purebred Ridgeback, male, farm raised. But this outcome was not unpredictable given what young, male, Ridgeback dogs are like, especially those that wind up in a “needs to be rehomed” rescue situation.

7 Likes

You’re assuming you will drop the leash if you’re in an accident, and I am not.

Yes, it would be nice to hear back from the OP on this.

1 Like

I’m not following you. As clipped by harness to bike attachment if in an accident the dog is still attached to the bike regardless (unless the bike attachment fails). If we are run over by a vehicle we are pretty much effed no matter what collar I’m using.

But, I hear you and your concerns regarding the safety of using a prong collar while bicycling with a dog. Safety is very important. Which is why my dog lives in double containment, for her safety. It’s also why I never use a “choke chain” or slip lead/collar, I feel the danger of strangulation is too risky for me. Other people use those pieces of equipment quite regularly.

I’m envisioning something entirely different than you.

Dog decides to chase a rabbit while tethered to bike and you are holding a prong collar. You correct with a prong collar but dog is bolting and lose your balance and wipe out – dog and bike go one way, you, still holding the leash, go the other way. The dog is caught between the two. That’s a scary fall.

In my opinion, I wouldn’t use anything but a flat buckle collar, if that. As the rider, I not sure you can safely manage the bike and the leash for correction, regardless of collar type.

I definitely wouldn’t use a choke chain while on a bike. They are a correction device that requires the handler to actively use it, not passively.

The e-collar might be the safest option, if correction is necessary while on the bike. But even that would be challenging in an emergency situation (bolting dog). Which is why I think a lot of people are not recommending biking the OP’s dog.

3 Likes

Oh I see what you mean. I haven’t needed to use a leash correction while in motion except for a mild hey hey pay attention if we are traveling slowly and something very exciting is happening. Stopped is a different story. The forward momentum of biking nips much of the bolting behavior. Which is why I brought it up. I have biked without the bike attachment and I do think the attachment to the seat post thingy provides a better counter balance than just leash in hand on handle bar if there becomes an issue with dog going off course so to speak.

I’m not familiar with the OP or her breed of dog, other than it is much larger than my 55 lbs Mal, and it may very well be that biking isn’t a good option for OP. Certainly safety of the OP, her dog and bystanders needs to be priority. It does sound like the dog in the OP would benefit from higher intensity exercise. It’s very hard to train a dog, any dog, that is exploding with pent up energy.

1 Like

Sorry everyone but for some reason my computer kept telling me the forum was down . Finally got on this am.
First this is my 3rd Ridgeback but the other two I raised from pups, they were bonded to me and the best dog ever.First a male died at 12 and I lost my sweet girl last summer at 13.
This dog is perfect inside and has about two acres to run in outside with underground fence which I have now trained him too. He came because he was trained to underground fence.
So on the farm now I have worked out the few issues but I’d like to go for walks and like having my dog with me (women alone).
This morning I think I discover he had been used to hunt ,when he saw a squirrel I had him stay and softly said go and he was off. Now I have never hunted but this sure sound like he was used to this . UGH
I am using prong which he respects but not 100% . He is totally ok around other dogs ignores them except a neighbors Shepard lunged at him and he pulled me down. Her fault but that’s life. Usually my horse instincts kick in and I just let go.
I’ll now read all those helpful comments and yes I know I should let him go but I could not find a good dog. Now he is 4 so I was hoping he’s slow down but…he is a sweetie just so powerful and athletic . He actually stood on his hind legs to look out the window.

1 Like

My Ridgeback has never been used to hunt and will gleefully run after shit if you give her an okay. It’s not training, it’s the breed. (So will every Ridgeback I’ve had over the past 20 years.)

I really hope you’re able to find some help with this dog if you decide to keep him. A dog that routinely knocks you down doesn’t sound like fun. It sounds like you’re going to get badly hurt here.

9 Likes

Yep, many breeds come hardwired to hunt. In fact, most sporting, hounds and terrier breeds. That was their entire purpose - hunting some kind of animal or another. My dogs are sporting dogs and the breed will find things to hunt if they don’t present themselves easily - by digging, escaping, or becoming neurotic (e.g. chasing flies/insects).

It’s harder to train them not to hunt than it is to hunt. So, most people don’t bother trying. Be prepared to live with the consequences, though. My dogs routinely kill small animals like moles, frogs, rabbits, and the occasional woodchuck. It’s not always for the faint of heart.

3 Likes

I have had many breeds of dogs and not one of them could resist going after a squirrel-- or any other animal they encounter actually. Birds, rabbits , moles( any digging varmint) is a huge deal for them as well.

Sounds like he is fine at home on his 2 acres? It is the taking him for walks that pose a health hazard for you.

2 Likes

For those of you who suggested biking, I can’t ride a bike BUT I did find out he was going mountain biking regularly with the people who raised him . They lived in the Mts and had Mt. bike trails where he could run free. I am sure that’s why he is so strong and fit plus his main love was a teenage boy hence the rough play we have had to end. The son went off to college so my dog must be missing his family of origin.
He must find us very boring with just throwing balls for fetch and walks. How Embarrassing when even your dog find you boring. We no longer have any place but our farm where a dog can run free. All the farms around us have gone to housing developments, ugly and dense. .Now the local trails are full of urban folks when they used to empty during the week.
Soon we will have to leave.

1 Like

Sorry if I missed it, but this is not how I understand an adoption. A match is a sporty dog in a sporty home and both sides are aware of this.

Maybe there is a jogger or hiker in your area who can’t have a dog but willing to take your dog with him? Or you pay a dog walker?

3 Likes

I wonder if there are any lure coursing groups near you? That might be the best way to provide an outlet.

2 Likes