Unlimited access >

Finally got that adult dog but is he to much for me to handle?

I like this idea, but the OP would need to find someone to go to this with her because her dog breaking loose while they wait their turn would not be popular at all.

4 Likes

Yes, I would definitely explain the situation and ask for help in advance. A lot of times there are a lot of trainers at events, so it would probably be a decent way to find someone knowledgeable in sight hounds.

The thing about coursing is that your dog needs to be fit for the task, or you’re going to wind up with an injury.

Running at speed away from the owner is also the OPPOSITE of what the OP wants to cultivate in this dog.

I have the dog that the OP wants–my Ridgebacks are my farm dogs. They’re super chill, they are off leash on the farm with me all day, and they don’t run or wander. Because that’s been cultivated since puppyhood. But they also don’t course, because they’re really not comfortable running away from me for any distance.

But regardless of that–trying to course a dog once or twice a month, say, with no other running in between, is going to hurt the dog.

4 Likes

The only solution here for OP is to find a good trainer to help her learn to control the dog.
Just be prepared to pay for the help. Good trainers aren’t cheap.

It would also help if she could get into some good Obedience classes if she believes the dog is 100% safe around other dogs and people. It’s not fair to other participants if she can’t safely
control the dog in class.

With a trainer one on one, some conditioning exercises would greatly help to try and overcome
the dog’s automatic response to chase things. IE- teaching the dog to think first before reacting.
For a while, OP needs to work with this dog on a daily basis teaching it to THINK and not react.
OP read up on REACTIVE DOGS. Lots of info online and in training books to help out.

1 Like

My research into handling prey drive was not successful . The book recommended by RR breed Akc said you aren’t going to win this one if your RR has high prey drive then that’s always going to be an issue. This dog hunts Lizards, anything that moves.
BTY he is a re home not a rescue and since he was on a horse farm we seemed to be a good match. He doesn’t run off but runs through the underground to chase and then returns quickly to his porch. He will take the hit to chase.
I did find that horse ball is excellent toy. easy to throw, impossible to chew and has a handle for him to race around with, strange RR he likes to fetch.
I have a bad leg so no lure coursing or agility classes and yes he is fine with people though he gets rough with men (if they play with him)and is well trained to be around other dogs. I’ve taken him to a surburban area and he doesn’t even look at the other dogs being walked and lays down when I stop to talk to someone . so he has had a lot of training.

1 Like

The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a breed that’s been bred to hunt. That’s literally why the breed exists. If you want a dog that doesn’t hunt at all, another breed would be a better choice. There are great options out there that have some size, are great companions, and are very trainable. Perhaps this board can help you narrow down a few other types of dogs that might be a better fit for your needs?

It’s very scary that he’s blowing through the underground fence. Does the rescue that placed him with you know that he’s doing that? That’s a behavior that’s really unlikely to end well, the risk of getting hit by a car or some other awful outcome is just so high.

That this dog came to you via a rescue makes him a rescue. That’s not to disparage him, but does show that no one in this dog’s previous life felt that they would be a suitable home. Easy going dogs that slip into a routine easily don’t need help finding a new family, they have people lined up down the block to take them.

This dog sounds like a great fit for someone who wants a strong, active, drive-y dog to match their active lifestyle. This does not sound at all like this dog is a good fit for you and your set up. I hope you’re able to reach out to the rescue, explain what’s going on–he’s knocking you down, he’s blowing through the fence, he’s charging the door when the UPS guy shows up–and return him.

4 Likes

REPEAT
Not a Rescue dog! For private reason he needed a new home.Only had one home before us.
No cars where I am so not an issue unless he runs away which is not what he is doing.
I will get a E collar for walks best answer according to local trainer who trains dogs for TV.
Thanks everybody and yes I have learned an adult dog will never be like a dog raising from a pup.
May have to find a pup who needs a home.
Thanks for all the good advice

2 Likes

Schoolmaster what breeds do you like, no goldens for me . I like a real dog. I’ve only had mutts , Chesapeake’s (bred them) and RR. I could not find healthy Chessies anymore breeds been ruined .
Love some suggestions.

How is a golden not a real dog?

That is just weird.

Maybe not the breed for you, but certainly a real dog.

12 Likes

You have housing all around, but no cars?

And this

makes the dog a rescue, at least IMO. He was unwanted by his original people, unwanted by any of his original people’s contacts, and they reached out to a rescue for help placing the dog. I’m not sure why you’re so opposed to that verbiage, when the dog found it’s way to you via the rescue. There’s nothing wrong with the title “rescue dog” but it does perhaps speak to a challenge in finding the right fit for the dog, as you’re seeing here.

I’m not clear why you want to even consider keeping this dog. He knocks you down, he charges the door, you don’t like it that he chases after lizards and squirrels, he blows through the underground fence. What about that is FUN?

Please reach out to the rescue that placed this dog with you and at least talk to them. Be honest about what’s going on, and see what they say. This sounds like SUCH a bad fit, and like someone–you, or the dog, or both–is going to get badly injured. Putting this dog in a prong and using a e collar sounds like a terrible way to deal with what is really just a bad match between dog and home.

7 Likes

No Offense as obviously so many people love them but not my style . I guess I was trying to say I need a tougher looking farm dog because where I live I want strangers to respect my dog.
As many issues I have with my new dog NO one would come in this house after hearing his bark.

1 Like

Actually original owners are not allowed to place this dog as the breeder as most good breeders now insist through a written contract on dog being returned to breeder if you can’t keep their dog. So that’s why he is not a rescue.
If I don’t keep the dog he goes back to breeder,

Yea I’ve been writing about his issues but he is a very sweet dog and so well behaved in the house. I can break him of door charging, its the prey drive that’s the real issue . Funny I haven’t had leash issue because my prior dogs ran free so its also my problem.
I understand why you say return him and still may but I am soft hearted when it comes to animals.
I just can’t make up my mind and he now thinks he is home.

Excellent. That sounds perfect. He’s got a soft landing waiting, with someone who is familiar with the breed. You really couldn’t ask for anything better.

Maybe you can even talk to that person about a dog that’s more suitable for you.

12 Likes

You haven’t looked very hard, then.

There are a lot of fantastic Chessie breeders out there. But you have to look for them and be prepared to wait for a well-bred litter. And, well, obviously, be willing to pay for a quality puppy. Which isn’t really that much, in the grand scheme of dog ownership.

I think your understanding of “quality breeders” is lacking.

4 Likes

OP, however you decide to proceed ~ Jingles & AO for some happiness and canine joy ~

While this feels uncomfortable now ~ with time this will work out for your life. You will enjoy your new dog ~ whether this dog or another dog waiting for you to find him … ((hugs)) for you ~ not an easy situation.

5 Likes

I think of a Chessie as more challenging than a Ridgeback, myself.

I agree that getting loose by running through the electric fence is scary for the dog.
Prey drive is definitely a challenge EVEN if you raise them from a puppy. I had a dog with through the roof prey drive and I raised her from a puppy. Truthfully though, even though I hated it when it first surfaced, I ended up learning a ton for that dog. I miss her all of the time. I do think it was just born into her and I worked with her for years and she was one of the most fun dogs I’ve had - partially because of the prey drive. She probably did pull me down a couple of times, but I was young and changed my whole life for that dog. It was worth it to me but it might not be a possibility for an older dog or for a person that wants more of a good farm dog.
I have to admit that I comment on these posts and the last thing I’m looking for in a dog is a lay around farm dog that never chases anything, never charges a door barking, would never run off, etc. I don’t know why but I’ve never let a dog roam anyway and frankly don’t mind a little protectiveness or suspiciousness of other dogs.

For what it’s worth, most Chessies I’ve known have been dog aggressive and protective. Not bad, not from bad breeders. Just not an easy dog.

Just throwing ideas out for the OP, but what about something like a Great Pyrenees? Not much chase that I’m aware of, barks but probably one you can work with to not charge.

It sounds like the breeder would be the best place for him honestly. If you have a bad leg and he’s knocking you down regularly, it’s a matter of time before you get injured.

10 Likes

Have you reached out to the breeder? They may have some ideas on training or might even know of a more suitable dog.

7 Likes

What? This is so confusing. The breeders allowed a rescue to replace the dog instead of taking him back or placing him directly? I have never known a good breeder that would have allowed that - EVER! Even if only for the optics - if a breeder’s dog enters “rescue” of any kind, it’s a stain on their breeding program. My breed’s parent organization split with a national breed rescue because on occasion they would get a dog in where the breeder could be identified, but they did not contact the breeder. The breeder should want the dog back.

Most good breeders would at least know someone in the breed to take the dog temporarily until they could get it (presuming it was far away) or they could screen/arrange another home.

4 Likes

One time a leashed RR got away from its owner and came after our leashed Jack Russell that a young daughter was walking. Bad deal for our terrier.

For companionship, trainability & security a well bred/healthy genetics German Shepard would be my choice.