Unlimited access >

Finally got that adult dog but is he to much for me to handle?

I can’t see what you’ve posted, but just because there is little chance of a bike fatality does not mean you shouldn’t be cautious. There is only a little chance of puncturing my dog with a prong collar but that doesn’t mean it’s not a bad idea to use one in many situations.

FWIW though, while bike fatalities may not be that likely, I am a cyclist and just about every cyclist I know has taken a spill - some big, some small - and that’s without a dog attached to their bike. It’s not like bike accidents are rare.

3 Likes

My point is that all activities have risks. We mitigate risks as we can. Like wearing helmets when we ride and bicycle.

IMO the odds of an accident happening combined with the odds that I, or any bike rider, would at the time of the accident also maintain their hand grip on the leash also the odds that the accident send me physically away from the dog are pea tiny. That all of that combined plus happens with enough force to puncture the dogs neck? We are much more likely to get struck by a vehicle. That all of the above should happen on a day that I’m using a prong, the risk is so small that no I’m not worried about it.

I imagine the fall risks for those road cycling or mountain riding might be enhanced. I know like two folks that road cycle, but not well enough to know their fall rate. I don’t know many adults that have crashed their bike cruising the neighborhood for fun. Certainly I fall off horses more often than bicycles.

• most !

most people do not purchase a puppy or adopt a dog with the idea of exercising ‘said’ dog while bicycling … walking a dog is the ‘norm’.

If a person is having a ‘fall down’ issue walking a 90 # dog, its unlikely ‘said’ person has any desire to bicycle with ‘said’ dog

This Op has looked extensively - thoroughly for her new dog - if she does not want another breed ? so what ? IT’S HER DOG NO ONES ELSE’S DOG !

RR is her choice of dog - I hope she can make this dog work in her life or she returns him and keeps searching … but I can’t simply not endorse her adding a bicycle to the mix !

Good Luck OP; hoping you have a new ‘pal’ settled in soon.

2 Likes

But how many people are cycling a dog?

I was telling one of my triathlon teammates about cycling his new rescue dog from his bike. He thought it sounded good at first, and then thought it might be a bad idea - she’s a med/large hound mix and has a strong prey drive. He is a good cyclist but immediately thought it sounded too risky if she decided to go after a squirrel.

He thought it was a better idea to run with her instead. Safer for all.

5 Likes

Three of us in the neighborhood.

Certainly cycling with a dog presents risks. IMO, shared by a few BNTs of dogs, the greatest risk is the dog trying to duck under the bike frame. Hence the use of the bike attachment that prevents that. Some believe and find that prey driven dogs are better on the bicycle. Which is the only reason I brought it up.

Biking a dog is easier than ponying a horse. But it surely has its limits and risks. Cars! Can’t go in summer due to hot pavement unless wearing boots. My dog will wear skid boots but objects strongly to shoes.

I dunno guys, I’m far more worried about our OP here with the dog that’s actively bolting through the fence, knocking her down on the regular, and is otherwise out of control, than I am about @lenapesadie and her dog and some rare chance of catastrophic bike accident…

12 Likes

Well, yes, although my point was that if the OP is struggling already with a large and energetic dog, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to try to cycle it either. I don’t think an accident would be “rare.”

I was in PT last year for an injury and there was an elderly couple there; the husband had fallen as a result of their large and overly exuberant lab. After his accident, they sent the dog elsewhere for several weeks, and when they took him back, the wife ended up being injured in some way while walking the dog. After they left, the PT said to me that dog walking is one of the most common causes for injury in older people.

I love my breed, and don’t see me “downsizing” anytime soon…they top out at only about 40lbs but need a LOT of exercise so they are like a bigger dog. However, I like a lot of smaller breeds, too, and definitely will consider a smaller (or easier) breed in the future. There really aren’t any bad breeds. :slight_smile: Just different. I could easily be satisfied with a lap dog at any point in the future when running a purpose bred hunting dog is too much for me. I’ll always love MY breed best, but I could be persuaded to love other breeds too.

4 Likes

I think we’ve all well agreed that the OP shouldn’t be biking this dog, no? She’s told us she can’t, I think @lenapesadie has said it’s clearly not appropriate, and it was a suggestion made before all of us really had all the facts here.

Yeah, I agree there is so much risk as we age and aren’t as agile and strong with bigger, active, exuberant dogs. Hopefully @walkers60 can find a dog that suits her needs better.

5 Likes

I was in Customer Service at different supermarkets walking around talking to customers. When someone came in with broken arm/leg/scooter, etc. I would ask what happened. 0% horse riding accidents. 100% mountain bike accidents with 0 vehicles in the accident.

Right back on topic!

Agree that OP and her dog should avoid biking. If I recall she mentioned the dog had already dragged / knocked her down on walks. I would be very hesitant to keep a dog that I couldn’t safely contain on a leash or in my yard

1 Like

Personally I’m getting a stuffed animal dog next time. Tired of vacuuming up hair!

3 Likes

A picture of a dog might be even better • wouldn’t have to even move it !

And a picture of a bicycle! But not hung next to the dog picture ! Across the room, perhaps !

8 Likes

Lol! Thanks for the humor! You made me giggle!

2 Likes

This guy is non-shedding.

4 Likes

Think wal mart will let me get a PPE done? I’ve been burned before :rofl::rofl::rofl:

IDK, I don’t see any testing of relatives on OFA…

Unacceptable!

Seems to be a puppy mill. Lots available.

3 Likes

Oh heck no!