Unlimited access >

Find Quality Training and Lessons

Hi,

I move around freequently due to my job, and therefore have to find new trainers and teachers on a regular basis. What are some of the search terms you use to succesfullty find trainers and lesson programs in your area? Especially when the area does not have a USDF/USEF certfied trainer close by? How do you look for quality trainers and lesson programs?

Thank you

It just so happens I wrote a blog about what to look for in a trainer - would be applicable in any location. Local Facebook groups, dressage associations and show results would all be good places to find names for consideration.
http://www.dressageaddict.ca/

2 Likes

Additionally, go to shows and observe. Even better, go to shows, volunteer and observe.

4 Likes

I second the idea of going to shows and observing. You learn alot just by watching how people treat their clients.

Agree with the go to shows and observe comment. Also, go to barns and observe - how the horses look, how they react to people, and watch a few lessons and rides. Most trainers should be open to having a potential client come have a “look-see”. And join your local GMO and ask people about the area trainers.

Huh. This has been cross posted in Horse Care. OP, COTH style is to just post in one area, since most of us browse.

I just responded to that thread with same advice as above.

I did however wonder if this question was a bit disingenuous. Given your first and last post was about starting up as online combined yoga exercise and dressage training program I was wondering if what you really wanted to ask was “how do I optimize my online search terms to capture folks looking for quality training?”

That’s a legitimate question but a very different one. If that is really the question you want to ask be honest and ask it upfront. There are lots of folks running internet publicity here that might give you an honest and interesting answer with lots of techie information. Trying to mask the question won’t get you the information you want.

If you are genuinely looking for a new trainer, apologies for my suspicions.

In that case your best use of COTH is to ask for specific recommendations. “I am looking for a trainer whose students are competing succesfully up to level 4 dressage within an hour’s drive of Seattle” for Instance.

3 Likes