Unlimited access >

Finding a puppy--Nellie is here- 1st birthday Oct 8th pics 9/30

Sure lots of dogs test fences. I think the Anatolians are a little extra though as far as riding a fence down that isn’t hot. They don’t seem as likely to jump out as say my Mal but perhaps their size plays into that.

Right. That’s a hard pass from me

3 Likes

So James or Jamie Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser plus some car theme. Easy Peasy lol. I’m just kidding. Congrats on your new addition!

1 Like

The most challenging housebreaking tale I’ve ever heard belongs to a friend of mine; he has Westies, Willow and Xander. When they got Xander they were living in an apartment in NYC…on the 52nd floor.

Xander is 14 now and quite reliably house trained.

2 Likes

kinda a bitey cross huh!

1 Like

Outback!

6 Likes

It is not a threadjack since the reason for it is finding a puppy! At least you have found one. He looks like a pretty boy!

I do have a strong, possible contender and will let you all know when I am sure :grinning:

3 Likes

German Shepherds are notorious for same sex aggression. Everything is good until it isn’t. I would advise against it.
Sheilah

1 Like

I met a woman (who became my dog obedience instructor and Dear Friend) who had German Shepherd Dogs. Her four dogs were ALL intact males. I asked her how she managed it/them. She told me that each “new” dog had been a puppy when introduced to the pack. Apparently, the older dogs were more tolerant, and the puppy learned its place in the pack.

Funny thing is that her dogs were never bred, but she believed that intact males (her gender preference) were better “working” dogs. And she had LOTS of obedience and tracking titles, so I figured what worked for her…

4 Likes

Four male GSDs is not as risky as 2 females w/ one being GSD. Even when gotten and introduced as a puppy, a female GSD is still likely to have intense aggression to other female dogs as the puppy starts to mature. I hear about it often on the GSD forum.
@IdahoRider is right, what ends up happening is you may have a lifetime of necessary dog separation.
Some simply cannot be trusted to get along. Female on female aggression can be deadly, it’s not for the faint of heart.

4 Likes

Most LGD breeds have very high female-female aggression as well.

2 Likes

Males fight for breeding rights. Females fight for breathing rights. It can happen in any breed.

7 Likes

This is a great quote.

I have a mixed-sex pack of belgian tervurens. Mostly they’re good but when the girls fight? It’s a death match! You have to separate them (none will back down), you have to keep them separated (cause even 5 minutes later, they will still go after one another) and then you get to strictly “manage” them for a week or so back into sociable living arrangements because those bitches Hold A Grudge like know ones business!

Needless to say, the girls do not get to freely interact when no one is home …

3 Likes

I have two super cute fluffy mutts, very well trained off and on leash. They are both canine good citizens, have trained for years in agility etc. Absolutely not naturally aggressive - though one has a prey drive. One is dominant and one is submissive. On paper it should be no big deal but I will never ever own two females again. I have to be constantly monitoring. In 5 years we’ve only had one bad fight and a few scuffles but it took re-arranging the house, our routines and some close behavior monitoring with the help of a behaviorist to bring the peace back to our house after that fight. I’m well aware that anything can tip the balance. I do not see the same responses or posturing with them and any other male dog.

3 Likes

I guess I’ve been lucky. I’m currently on my third pair of spayed females (4 dogs total, two at a time) and I have never had any fights between any of them.

3 Likes

i’ve kept all my working K9s intact, be they male or female. I want all the edge i can get. One of my females is severe. She lives downstairs. The other four live upstairs and never the twain shall meet. Stairway and hall is the DMZ with a tall, strong gate at both ends. Downstairs dog is good with cats and birds which also live on the ground floor.

3 Likes

She is here!

8 1/2 weeks old.

3/4th German Shepherd 1/4 Anatolian Shepherd.

I saw the ad in November and when I called she was spoken for but a sibling was available. I took too long trying to decide and wondering if my vehicle would make it the 2 1/2 hours and the ad was gone.

The ad came back this past weekend with 3 girls ( my 2 choices included) and I called and once again they had people coming that day to get them all. I asked her, that if by some miracle the people didn’t show would she please give me a call?

A few hours later she called and said the people she drove an hour to meet were no shows 2 hours later. She drove home and they called her saying they were there now. She said sorry , you lost out.

Gotta love those " occasional" flaky CL buyers.

I went with a friend and picked her up yesterday and she is absolutely a joy. She oozes intelligence and when you talk to her she stares deeply into your eyes and cocks her head. She loves to play and follows us everywhere.

My 2 dogs started to play with her when we were outside for our millionth potty break. It has been many years since I’ve had that joy. Sadie was 5 months old and could hold it all night.

She is 8.5 weeks old and I named her Nellie.

Thanks to all for the advice and input!

19 Likes

That is my experience in 30 years of multiple dogs and all but 1 a female. Varying breeds and varying personalities. May have a lot to do with the living situation which is different for everyone.

1 Like

She is cute! Congratulations!

1 Like

The blue eye is a surprise!

2 Likes