Unlimited access >

Finding a puppy--Nellie is here- 1st birthday Oct 8th pics 9/30

Love your Nellie !

1 Like

Congratulations! She is darling. Take TONS of pictures. Our “wee puppy” that came home at the same age Memorial Day weekend already is a “little man”.

1 Like

Welcome Home, Nellie. She’s a fluffy little chunk. Have fun with your training!

1 Like

OHH! Man !! I have a similiar story. I was doing an evening/night time walk with my 65lb boxer/pittie corss and 100lb ridgeback when TWO Great Prys came out of their gate (left open by a friend of the owner) and charged the three of us. I tried not to freak out as I shouted YOUR DOGS ARE OUT. and as soon as I said it, the two jumped on my boxer/pittie and just like the Anatolian’s owner, the owner had to lay on these two Pryes. 4 people had to help.

Riley had to have 3 surgeries and over $3k worth of work. The owner did not pay a dime
 said since the dogs were a foster for the Great Pry of Fl, they should pay. I was like, YO!! your friend left the gate open to YOUR HOUSE.

The rescue ended up paying the bill for Riley and took the dogs away from her. He has not been right since around other dogs. PTSD :frowning:

2 Likes

:persevere::rage:

How completely infuriating.

4 Likes

That’s awful !

Jingles for your dog to recover fully with time ~

2 Likes

NEW PUPPY is super CUTE!! keep us posted with lots of pictures!!

1 Like

Congratulations to you and Nellie! What an adorable ball of fluff!

1 Like

Later in life, my friend acquired a neutered male from an elderly lady. The dog had belonged to her husband, he had died, and the dog one day pinned the elderly woman to the floor. So, my friend Ethel acquired Kaiser, and he turned out to be one of her best “show” dogs. Later, she acquired another rescue GSD who was intact. She didn’t want to neuter him (he was already laid-back), but he had no registration papers. She asked the United Kennel Club if, instead of neutering him, she got him a vasectomy (with proof of it), would they allow him to be shown? The UKC took some time to think it over and then said ‘yes.’

I don’t think he was ever shown after the operation, as he didn’t have the kind of intense drive that she liked on her dogs.

At one time, I had 7 dogs—4 male Dobermans, 1 female Doberman, 1 male Peek-a-Poo (or purebred Tibetan Spaniel, which he MIGHT have been), and 1 female Sheltie. I never had any problems with my females and asked a Sheltie breeder/show person ‘why not’—my female Doberman was VERY dominant. She said that Shelties like to be ‘part of a pack’ and are less likely to fight for ‘position.’

On the other hand, this was during the time when AOL was prominent, and I was told by others in a Doberman Breed chat room that One Day, one of my male dogs would be killed or seriously injured by the other dogs.

Four of my male dogs got along with Absolutely No Problems, but one of my male Dobermans, Garnet, WAS same-sex aggressive, and it was always directed towards my beta male dog, Moose. Moose was the sweetest dog and got along with all the other males. However, on the VERY RARE occasions when Garnet would start a fight, Moose would FINISH it. Usually without anything but a drop of blood, if that. Garnet finally stopped going after Moose when my youngest male Doberman, Peter, grabbed Garnet’s rear leg while Moose attended to the front. (“Are we having fun, Uncle Moose?”)

I didn’t rehome Garnet because 1) my female Doberman, Kira, had fallen in love with him at first sight, 2) at the time, I wasn’t aware of any Doberman rescue groups, and 3) Garnet had been terribly unsocialized when I got him. He was aggressive towards me in the early days on, and I knew he would probably scare the crap out of anyone else. Luckily, I didn’t scare easily.

I have 2 female Dobermans and 1 male Doberman now. I would prefer one of each, but a 3 1/2 legged, undersized, blue female Doberman needed a home shortly before I retired. Brooklyn had been used for breeding, and I believed that that’s what someone would take her for. So, I brought her home, got her spayed, treated her for her heartworm, and kept her. My female Darcy has, surprisingly to ME, no problem with Brooklyn, and their “fights” are always playful.

Another story from LONG ago. My uncle had bought the first dog for his family. It was a Siberian Husky, and he named him “Kazan” after a husky in a book. One winter when Kazan was 6 months old, my uncle was walking him when some people approached from the opposite direction. With them, was an adult German Shepherd Dog. The GSD was off-leash, and it attacked Kazan. My uncle asked them to call their dog off, but they laughed. Finally, the dogs were separated. Luckily, Kazan wasn’t hurt, and he wasn’t traumatized by the incident.

The next winter, my uncle was walking Kazan again, and as luck would have it, met the same people and German Shepherd Dog. The GSD, once again, launched himself at Kazan. This time, in a blink of an eye, Kazan had the GSD pinned by his muzzle to the ground and wouldn’t let him up. The other people starting yelling at my uncle, "Call your dog off!’, and eventually my uncle did, with no real harm to the GSD.

4 Likes

She’s adorable! Love that one blue eye. Welcome home Nellie!

1 Like

Congratulations!! She’s adorable! You will have such fun!

1 Like

I don’t believe this story. It is absolutely unacceptable to show an altered dog in conformation classes except those explicitly for altered dogs (which UKC does have). And judges don’t look at paperwork in the ring. So, this dog was either shown in classes for altered dogs, or altered with a vasectomy but shown, illegally.

2 Likes

Ethel showed in OBEDIENCE (and Tracking). She did get some quality dogs from both Germany and a U.S. breeder who bred GSDs of Czech breeding. However, she was a BIG-TIME rescuer of GSD dogs. The shelters in her area knew this, and she would take any GSD who was scheduled for euthanasia. Hence, this dog. There is NO way that this dog could have been shown in conformation classes, as he had NO registration papers/proof of breeding at all—he was a rescue.

Ethel always thought outside the box. I thought it extreme myself; her (rescued) dog Kaiser that I knew was VERY intense, and he WAS neutered. This dog (I forget his name) was very laid-back—I didn’t think there was anything that would make him the type of obedience dog she liked. She certainly had the credentials—the walls of the German Shepherd Dog Club building in Chicago had the names of many of her GSD dogs that had earned both Utility and Tracking titles were showcased there.

They DID approve it; she was a VERY STUBBORN woman. However, as I stated, this dog never showed the kind of drive she wanted. This whole thing was around 20 years ago, and I doubt that there would be anyone still at the UKC who could back up this story now. * shrug * Ethel, unfortunately suffered a stroke some years later and was unable to continue training and showing her dogs.

Sorry to take over this thread. Congratulations to the OP who got her puppy! May it be the BEST of the kind of dog and companion that you want!!

OK, that makes sense. Maybe at that point in time UKC did not have the option for PAL or mixed breeds for non-competitive events. Those do exist now for AKC (and I’m sure for UKC) but it doesn’t matter whether the dog is intact or not.

At that time, the UKC had the option for purebred dogs (without registration papers/history) AND mixed breeds to show with an LP(?), Limited Privilege number, and the AKC had the ILP(?) Indefinite Limited Privilege number for ONLY purebred dogs (no papers/history). In both organizations, the dogs with those numbers HAD to be spayed/neutered to get those numbers to show in competitive, non-conformation events. The Australian Shepherd Club of America, also, allowed any breed of dogs to show in their obedience trials, including registered dogs (UKC/AKC) AND neutered/spayed purebred and mixed breed dogs to show at their obedience trials.

I believed, later, the AKC allowed the mixed breed dogs in the various competitions, obedience, agility, etc., because it saw what a money maker that was for the UKC.

Funny story, I went to a judging/judges’ clinic in Erie, PA many, MANY years ago (to learn what judges look for, what was “allowed” or not, etc.). At that time, the CKC did NOT allow ‘purebred dogs without papers’ to show in Canadian obedience trials. At lunch break, I talked to a judge from Canada about it. She told me that the CKC would NEVER allow unregistered purebred dogs to show (in non-conformation events.) I wondered why not and said to her that it would be EASY for the CKC.—the AKC required pictures of the dogs as part of the application for the AKC ILP number to “prove” that the dog WAS a purebred. I told the judge that all the CKC would need to do is accept the AKC ILP number—the AKC had ‘already done the work’ to make sure the dog was a purebred.

Shortly after that clinic, the CKC created its own ‘purebred without papers’ dog program, and the ILP number from the AKC was allowed as “proof.”

3 Likes

Nellie is settling in fast. She has a place beside my side of the bed that I penned off ( I don’t crate my dogs) that is roomy and so far she is sleeping through the night. Doesn’t cry as long as I am in bed and when( not if) I do get up to use the bathroom ( curse of being older) she fusses but settles the minute I get back in bed.

My other 2 are playing with her outside but still teaching her who is boss inside but they are doing well.
Her favorite place to nap during the day.

15 Likes

It was for me too. When I saw her online photo she was being held up and all I saw was a profile. Funny how when I saw her I Immediately knew she was the one I wanted. All the ones I saw after that I just didn’t feel the same.

She is just so much fun. Such a joy to have after losing Sunny.

7 Likes

Congrats - she’s adorable!

1 Like

cute and beautiful, both! Enjoy!!

1 Like

Here she is 1 week later. The end of her tail is covered with black fuzz now which I am thankful for because it looked like a possum’s tail before all gray and scaly! She has her littermates to thank for that and a few others were skinned as well.

I have had to let her collar out twice already and she gets 3/4ths cup of kibble at each of her 3 feedings and still acts hungry.

10 Likes