Unlimited access >

Finding a show barn in CT

Just recently moved to the Fairfield area in Connecticut and I’m looking for a place to board and train. I’m mainly a jumper rider with experience up to the 1.40’s in the past year, and would like to continue at that level. I’m looking at stables up to north salem/bedford area as well. Attempting to find a barn reasonably priced(trying to stay under $2300 a month), which I know is SO hard in this area. Any recommendations and experience with the trainers in this area would be VERY helpful, Thanks.

I’m from CT and I can’t feature towns named North Salem or Bedford. Entirely possible that I don’t know them but honestly, where are they? I’m from the New Haven area and rode in Fairfield all my youth, and have never heard of those towns.

[QUOTE=Ambitious Kate;8071626]
I’m from CT and I can’t feature towns named North Salem or Bedford. Entirely possible that I don’t know them but honestly, where are they? I’m from the New Haven area and rode in Fairfield all my youth, and have never heard of those towns.[/QUOTE]

North Salem & Bedford are NY towns right on the border of CT, but they are only an hour away from me and feature many barns with great trainers, generally they are more expensive though.

I live in North Salem and have some ideas for you. Feel free to PM me. If you want full-training with someone that is good enough to coach safely up to 1.40 (assuming you have a horse?) you will probably pay more than $2300.

Honestly, everyone thinks the prices in this area are ridiculous, and I always felt that way as well. Now that I have my own farm and I’ve run the numbers on having a boarder I realize that the prices are high for a reason. In North Salem you can’t even break even for less than $1500/month. Hay is about $250/month/horse and I buy direct from the farmer so that is about 50% less than most of the training barns pay. Manure removal is about $200/month/horse. Bedding is about $200/month/horse. I’m already at $650 and haven’t even accounted for labor, property and liability and umbrella insurance, wear and tear on fences and footing, property taxes, grooming supplies…

Anyway, my point is that you may have better luck if you look in an area with a lower cost of living, and being in Fairfield you may have some luck looking more towards Hartford and not NYC. That said, I’ve had experiences with many of the local trainers and will be happy to share them privately. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ambitious Kate;8071626]
I’m from CT and I can’t feature towns named North Salem or Bedford. Entirely possible that I don’t know them but honestly, where are they? I’m from the New Haven area and rode in Fairfield all my youth, and have never heard of those towns.[/QUOTE]

Those are in New York, Westchester County. That area has been a Hunter/Jumper mecca for more than half a century.

sent you a PM!

'K. I rode in Woodbury and Southbury, and Fairfield, CT. Not familiar with the NY over the boarder folks. Thanks for the clarification.

Just sent you a PM