Unlimited access >

finding a tall lesson/riding horse on Long Island?

Hello all!

So I am currently a college student with a bit of a horse dilemma. I am a tall 6’4" rider who cannot find a horse to ride! I’ve tried asking around on LIequine but did not get much of a response or the offers that I got were from barns with unsuitable riding conditions for me. I am hoping somebody would be able to point me in the direction of a barn or person with an available where I could work to ride or something similar. I’m open to riding any breed so long as there’s enough room for me and my long legs!
I’m only posting in this forum because I would like to eventually learn to jump although I have done some very basic dressage. Hoping that some member has a friend in need of help or can help spread the word. I am located in Stony Brook but can travel!

Are you a Stony Brook student? SUNY Stony Brook has a great riding team, based at Old Town Equestrian Center; OTEC also has a huge lesson program, you don’t have to be on the team to ride there. Plenty of nice horses, definitely one will fit you. 631-473-2075

Don’t count out the 15.2-16.2 hand horse range! DH is 6’6 and somewhat lanky (about 210 lbs), but he regularly rides QHs and Paints in that height range. Granted it’s western which doesn’t make you look quite as tall, but he doesn’t look bad on them at all!

15.2 mare: https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/305807_10100764782471640_2052036462_n.jpg?oh=728d6b54747f6db9f226c19e01f68cfb&oe=55BC012A

My 16.2 hunter… Not quite sure how he managed to look bigger on this horse that is an entire hand taller: https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/548941_10103697639582480_3269065507657021661_n.jpg?oh=41ff75694948591516221373d730300b&oe=55B233EF

Do you have concerns about your weight or just height? If it’s just height I think something in the 15.2-16 hand range should be fine for you.

I am 6 foot and regularly school large ponies and even the occasional medium.

I’ve ridden at several barns on the island and most of them have a schoolie or two that would be appropriate.

Also, if you’re looking for time in the saddle you may want to join the, “Horses for Lease & Sale on Long Island” facebook group. There are often postings for situations where you can work off some riding time.

[QUOTE=TallWarmbloodRider;8081588]
I’ve tried asking around on LIequine but did not get much of a response or the offers that I got were from barns with unsuitable riding conditions for me. [/QUOTE]

What do you consider to be unsuitable riding conditions? That might help everyone give you a little more direction.

I actually am a student at SBU but missed out on the team as I am a senior and the dues were too much for me, which is why I am trying to find something more low key.

I actually tried joining the FB group but still haven’t been accepted :/. Hoping that works out as it seems like my best bet.

As for unsuitable riding conditions, well for example I had a lady who wanted to drug test me before I rode. I’ve NEVER had that happen and can understand why but I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard of a drug addict that wanted to ride horses… Also I don’t mind backyard barns but I’d like for there to be trails or a park nearby as riding in a ring gets boring. Looking for someone who is flexible above all, I can’t ride every week and only want to do it 1-2 a week at the most and would appreciate someone who understand that school comes before all. I also would like to practice my dressage and learn to jump if possible, but I just want to get back in the saddle!

In my experience of riding smaller horses I find my legs getting cramped on the smaller (<16.2) horses. I’m VERY leggy so I would like a big draft or warmblood so I can stretch my legs out hahah. Thanks for the help all!

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but good luck finding a situation on Long Island that lets you ride a few days a week (and take lessons on occasion) for cheaper than the SBU Eq Team.

I’m from that neck of the woods (have since graduated SBU and moved upstate), and keeping horses on the Island is a very costly venture, and leases are not likely to come very cheap.

Hence why I would like to find a working student position to decrease the cost of lessons. Don’t mind doing a few hours of work before I ride but I can’t afford to pay the $500+ up front for the SBU team. It really sucks as I’d love to join but financially it is not plausible.

Oh I must have misread your original post where you said it was a working-student position you were looking for. Can’t think of anyone specific right now, but I’ll let you know if anyone comes to mind!

Also I’m pretty sure in the past, Myrna (the SBUET coach) has allowed students to pay off some of the team fees in barn work, but I’m not 100% sure of what the deal was, or whether she is still open to that kind of arrangement. Might be worth exploring.

[QUOTE=TallWarmbloodRider;8085278]
Hence why I would like to find a working student position to decrease the cost of lessons. Don’t mind doing a few hours of work before I ride but I can’t afford to pay the $500+ up front for the SBU team. It really sucks as I’d love to join but financially it is not plausible.[/QUOTE]

Looking for someone who is flexible above all, I can’t ride every week and only want to do it 1-2 a week at the most and would appreciate someone who understand that school comes before all.

If you want a working student position, or for someone to reduce their rates for you so that you can ride, consider what value you bring to the table. You can’t make it all about your schedule and then have someone make their horse available to you when you feel like. From their point of view they need to be able to plan ahead of time whether they will have help that day or not. If they have other help they will need to plan ahead of time what days off the other help wants to take, etc etc. If they think you are coming to help with water buckets and pitching hay at lunch and they allocate their time accordingly and give the other person off and then you call and say “Sorry can’t make it today,” they now have to pick up those pieces. Their life is just as important to them as your school is to you.

So if you can’t for example plan ahead to allocate a particular afternoon on a particular day of the week and then show up even if it is raining or if you have a test tomorrow, and if you are kind of holding a ‘last minute cancellation’ card or a ‘randomly I won’t show up for two weeks’ card in your back pocket because well you did tell them school comes first, then probably no, not the working student route for you.

But if, on the other hand, you do have the time management skills to get your own life accomplished while also being reliable for other people, then pick a set of things you can RELIABLY perform for another person and see if they will let you ride their horse in return.

[QUOTE=TallWarmbloodRider;8085256]

As for unsuitable riding conditions, well for example I had a lady who wanted to drug test me before I rode. I’ve NEVER had that happen and can understand why but I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard of a drug addict that wanted to ride horses…[/QUOTE]

Never heard of that one!!! Something tells me whoever that trainer is, there is a story behind it!

The stable at which the SBU team rides also has a lesson program (you can pay for one lesson at a time). And does make use of a cadre of students that pitch in to get chores done.

It sounds great to swap work for lessons, or a price break. However, if your availability for lessons is problematic, what is the likelihood that you’ll be able to devote regular time to barn work?