Unlimited access >

Finding a trainer

What to do if you just can not find the right trainer?
Sorry for the long post!

I live in a place where decent trainers of any kind are very far and in between. Anyone here can be a trainer and I found most of them have stretched the truth of their accomplishments and abilities.
Here lies my problems.
I have had my pony for the last 2 years. I got him as a little “rescue” (use the word very vaguely here). He has had a lot of issues. But he is a very calm little guy with serious intelligence. Picks things up very very fast. Just stubborn, and gets bored very fast. Definitely more of a laid back ride.
He’s had significant time off for a little tendon issue, feet issues and other little dramas.
Since December he has been ridden 3 times a week and ground work 2 times a week. He has all his basics w/t/c, some lateral movements in walk and trot. Basic lead changes. His ground work is fantastic.

Due to his tendon (not bad but still we want him to be 100% ) my vet has said no jumping until September.
So I thought what a great idea to start proper dressage (with a dressage saddle and not jumping length stirrups may I add) After polishing up his basics I now need a trainer to help not only him but myself.
I have always thought on these lines; a trainer should be someone I admire the riding style of, can get along with, understand myself and my horse and of course I would like them to be able to get on once in a while.
I have now been looking and looking and have not found what I am after. I’m not being fussy, I’m not expecting some Olympic gold medalist, to perform miracles in 2 weeks. I have spend quite some time watching the available trainers and for one reason or another are just not what I or my pony need nor want. I did find one trainer who I thought could work but does not for many a reason.
We did have a lady named Lea Forge (French, who does mainly classical dressage) come for a week and I had 4 lessons with her that I and pony really enjoyed and can’t wait for her to be back but she only comes every 3/4months. I really would like someone on the ground to help me on a more permanent basis.

So I’m just a little confused as to where to go from here. My "dressage " abilities to actually train do not stretch far from the basic stuff, and I don’t want to somehow mess up myself or the pony. I just don’t know where to go from here. Any help would be much appreciated.

So who brought in the clinician that you liked so well? Is there a trainer that is at that barn that also works with this clinician? Since you liked that so well, that would be the place to start as the philosophy would mesh.

Actually it was not a trainer who brought her in it was someone who knew her from another location.

Where are you and what are you willing to pay?

IME, lost of people want help with their horses but then don’t want to put in the time or money it takes to really modify things. I’m not saying that’s you, OP; I don’t know one way or the other. My point is that if this goes on for long enough in the area, anyone wanting to make a living at horse training has to leave.

If you are really serious, you might have to send your horse to a good pro and commute to their barn to take lessons on it and learn to ride it. I have done that more than once in my career. (I want to/can afford to live and ride in cheaper areas… but I want the quality of training and knowledge that can only be found in more expensive areas.)

The other part of this that’s key is your willingness to commit yourself to those lessons and to a lot of education. That’s because you’ll have to become your horse’s trainer when you bring the horse home. Unless you are limited physically or by fear, you really can do this. It takes concerted effort and time, but I believe most people can be taught to ride horses in a way that influences them and improves them. But I’d also underscore again the “concerted effort and time” factor.

So my first practical question for you, OP: How far away is a good pro whose riding and horse care and business acumen you trust?

Let me be a bit more specific I live in the Middle East. There are a lot of desert and endurance stables. Very few anything else. I would love to send him to another barn but again issue is no one who would actually be able to train ride him. And once again the one or two decent trainers here will not look at a non warmblood to train. We have some decent jumping trainers, but dressage even though quite a lot of people do dressage here very few actual properly qualified trainers, who I think would suit us. I’m not looking for quick fixes or miracles and I’m really willing to work, and I have no issues to pay for a trainer.
I was even thinking to try to find a trainer that can somehow work with me via me sending videos or something

[QUOTE=nu5ha;8630086]
Let me be a bit more specific I live in the Middle East. There are a lot of desert and endurance stables. Very few anything else. I would love to send him to another barn but again issue is no one who would actually be able to train ride him. And once again the one or two decent trainers here will not look at a non warmblood to train. We have some decent jumping trainers, but dressage even though quite a lot of people do dressage here very few actual properly qualified trainers, who I think would suit us. I’m not looking for quick fixes or miracles and I’m really willing to work, and I have no issues to pay for a trainer.
I was even thinking to try to find a trainer that can somehow work with me via me sending videos or something
[/QUOTE]

Gigi Nutter does video lessons http://www.touchngofarm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=108&Itemid=268
Also JaneSavoie.com though she has health issues ATM

Her newsletter is very worthwhile.

I know someone who takes lessons via SKYPE

Most laptops are equipped with SKYPE or you can upgrade your version.

You just need to find an instructor who is willing to use this medium.

Thank you for the link!