Unlimited access >

Finding Someone to Work on my Horse Box

I can’t find someone to work on my horse box. It needs an oil change, new tires, interior work (the leather is a lovely neon orange) and just a general tune up. Everyone I call says they either don’t do vehicles that old (its an 85) or can’t handle anything that big (its basically a moving van).
Help?

Location? Where I live there is a repair shop for that kind of vehicle on every corner --Elkhart IN is the trailer capital of the world.

Considering the age and size of your vehicle, consider two things --first, is it safe? Even restored, a vehicle of that age may have some issues that make it unsafe for hauling --letting it go and finding something newer may make more sense for your horses’ safety.

Second, consider cost: Think about the amount of use you will have out of the vehicle. Spending big bucks now isn’t going to make your vehicle/trailer younger. Spending 10K to repair/restore something that might last 5 years wouldn’t be as good a decision as spending 10K to buy something that will last you 20 years. And I’m an old trailer lover! My husband (a vintage car guy) finally pushed me to let my 20 year old trailer go and buy a new one. His point was that at the age my old trailer was, any future repairs were going to be catastrophic --and the safety of my horse was a concern. Like all products, trailer manufacturing and materials have improved to make new trailers safer, lighter, and more comfortable for horses.

But to you question; there are Facebook pages dedicated to repair and restoration of RVs that could point you in the right direction for a repair/restoration place. Do a Facebook search --if none seems quite right, post your question there and someone will know of a second group, or third that will be more suitable.

Be sure to include your location: https://www.facebook.com/groups/912876135499961

well those people you would not want touching it any way as all they could do is connect an electronic data reader to the port to for the truck’s computer to tell them what’s wrong. Since you truck does not have a computer nor even knows what one is they are lost. You say tuneup… so gasoline engine? That really should not be an issue .

Do an internet search in your area for Car Clubs or whatever they may be called there… here we have a several with well over a few thousand members…these people will know some one who knows about servicing your van

Parts for the engine should not be an issue but other items may.

I just got a note from a national chain of auto window glass replacements saying there are delays in getting some windshields … the insurance companies are having to Total a vehicle that is repairable just because repair parts are not available

As for the leather repairs… an auto upholstery shop should be able to fabricate anything you need.

Location would be helpful. I’m in northern Virginia, but at this point would be willing to go pretty far to find someone to do the needed work.
The horse compartment is very safe and in excellent condition. The previous owner took great care of it. All the work it needs done is just maintenance stuff

Yeah it’s gas, and I agree, they don’t know how to diagnose something without a computer.
I’ll look into a upholstery shop . Thanks!

For the mechanical work ask around for a good small garage. I have found that once you find one of them (small garage) with a good mechanic you will never want to go anywhere else.

1 Like

I tried that on Facebook in our local group. No such luck. No one could handle the size or the age. Even tried the semi truck mechanic!

I think most semi truck mechanics are diesel mechanics so probably not too interested in your old gas engine.

Husband said to go to you local auto parts store --NAPA or something and ask who works on cars/trucks/engines like yours --he said the auto parts guys generally know who fixes what.

3 Likes