Unlimited access >

Finding Your English Saddle Seat Size

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say thanks for all the help you gave me on my other thread about Collegiate Convertible saddles.

Well I found a great saddle, and now I just want to know how to find the correct seat size for me. I know it seems like a simple thing, but I’m having a hard time deciding my size!

Here are my measurements:

I’m 15 years old, 5’3", and weigh around 100 pounds. I have kind of long legs so I’m thinking I will might need a longer flap? I also might grow more, and want to make this my saddle for a long time. I really don’t mind if it’s a tad large for a little while.

My leg measurements (taken while sitting) are:

From point of knee to back of seat I measure: 21.5"

From point of knee to bottom of foot I measure: 19.5"

(Not sure if those are helpful measurements, I’m kind of guessing on what to measure!)

If you all could give me your opinions on what seat size and flap length you think is the best fit, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Is there any way to go sit in some English saddles to find out? The rules of thumb are that you should be able to place your hand palm down between your tush and the edge of the cantle. After adjusting the stirrup length, your knee should never pop over the edge of the flap, nor should the knee rolls keep you from having your knee flat against the horse. I bet if you look on YouTube you’ll find some helpful videos.

Based on your height and weight, I’d suggest starting with a 17" regular flap and go from there.

@Bristol Bay

Thank you so much for the helpful information! The saddle I am looking at has a regular flap with a 17.5" seat; plenty of wiggle room in case I grow. So I think it will fit, thanks again!

It’s not really based on height and weight. But just as a point of comparison, I ride in a 17.5 saddle, and I am 5’9" and 155 pounds. :slight_smile:

If you could ride on the saddle before making a final purchase, that would be best. If it’s too big you will feel left behind the motion.

I think the hand behind is less used these days and it’s more a matter of if you feel balanced in the seat with your knee not over the flap when stirrups are at their short length. You shouldn’t feel like you are on the edge of the cantle. Some cc saddles have more depth than others so that will also influence what seat size as more open will allow more room. Stirrup bar placement will also be different with some saddles.

So, if you can’t sit in a bunch of saddles then I’d start with a 17" seat and go from there. If the saddle has a forward flap, great, but a straighter flap could be too restrictive. A 17.5" might offer more forward as long as you don’t feel loose in the seat.

I think the hand behind is less used these days and it’s more a matter of if you feel balanced in the seat with your knee not over the flap when stirrups are at their short length. You shouldn’t feel like you are on the edge of the cantle. Some cc saddles have more depth than others so that will also influence what seat size as more open will allow more room. Stirrup bar placement will also be different with some saddles.

So, if you can’t sit in a bunch of saddles then I’d start with a 17" seat and go from there. If the saddle has a forward flap, great, but a straighter flap could be too restrictive. A 17.5" might offer more forward as long as you don’t feel loose in the seat.

[QUOTE=Bristol Bay;8202153]
It’s not really based on height and weight. But just as a point of comparison, I ride in a 17.5 saddle, and I am 5’9" and 155 pounds.[/QUOTE]

Yup, and I’m 5’4’’ in my boots and 130, and ride in a 18" with a forward flap ;), same size as my trainer who is 5’10’’.

I’m going to add that this also varies by manufacturer and how the saddle is constructed. My daughter was swimming in a 16.5 Collegiate Convertible Diploma, fought for leg position and was in a chair seat. Took that to a saddle shop and the owner (who’s amazing at knowing how saddles are made) said that for her the stirrup bar was in the wrong spot and that threw off the whole picture. Tried a couple of others built differently and settled on a 16.5 seat used Pessoa.

A local teen with a slightly different build bought the Collegiate and it was perfect for her.

It really is best if you can try a few out, even try in a shop with someone helping you, then once you find some you like see what fits your horse.

Thanks everyone for you input, it’s all very helpful! I’m guessing I’m around a 17-17.5, I need to try some out.

[QUOTE=TheJenners;8202246]
Yup, and I’m 5’4’’ in my boots and 130, and ride in a 18" with a forward flap . . . [/QUOTE]
Wow! We’re exactly the same size, and ride in exactly the same (apparently “wrong”) saddle.

:eek:

Seriously. What are the odds?

Every manufacturer’s measurement is unique, so it is best to sit in saddles at your local tack shop and try them out. You should be able to fit a hand’s width between you and the edge of the cantle. It would be helpful to have an employee at the tack store help you find a saddle that fits you best as well.

Thanks everyone for helping! I got a 17.5" and it fits great, with a little room for growing.

[QUOTE=Bristol Bay;8202153]
It’s not really based on height and weight. But just as a point of comparison, I ride in a 17.5 saddle, and I am 5’9" and 155 pounds. :slight_smile:

If you could ride on the saddle before making a final purchase, that would be best. If it’s too big you will feel left behind the motion.[/QUOTE]

Agreed - saddle fit to your body varies widely based on your individual conformation. I am 5’9", and slender, but have an extremely long femur, so I am in a 17.5.

OP, glad you found a saddle!

Am I the only weird one? I am 5’5 and 135 lbs and my 16.5 County fits like a glove.