Unlimited access >

First AA Show- Tips/Advice?

I have a lot of experience at rated events and a little experience at rated dressage shows, but I will be going to my first rated H/J show tomorrow to work on my show jumping in a bigger atmosphere. I strongly suspect that I will not be the least bit competitive, but I’m not concerned by that. I am, however, a bit concerned with feeling a bit like a fish out of water! Therefore looking for any tips or advice that I might not be thinking of, but might find helpful.

I think I’ve got my major bases covered- I’m familiar with the types of jumper classes these will be (table 2(d) and 2(b)). I swung out to the show yesterday and picked up my back number. Is it ok to pin it on my saddle pad like I do at schooling jumper shows, or do I need to wear it? I have someone meeting me to help me warm up on Friday and Sunday, and my husband can set warmup fences for me on Saturday. There’s nothing about attire in the prize list for my Friday/Saturday classes, so I assume I can go with “standard” and was therefore planning on wearing colored breeches with a polo. Sunday is “proper” so I have a navy coat, navy helmet, white breeches, and a colored stock tie (I have a white tie from my CCI** if colored ties aren’t allowed and/or I’ll stick out like a sore thumb?). It appears as though all my tack is legal. I was only planning on braiding on Sunday, unless it’s advised to braid each day?

One definite question I have is about how much time do I allot for trips when trying to decide when I might go? In eventing, when they don’t assign SJ ride times, I usually allow for 2 min/trip to ballpark when I ride and plan my warmup accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

2 Likes

You’ll be fine! White breeches in jumper land are often reserved for the higher-level classes, though theres no rule against wearing them. Depending on the level you’ll be competing at, you might see most riders in beige breeches even on a formal day.

You only need to wear your number on your back for hunter or equitation classes. For jumpers, you can pin it to your saddle pad on the same side as the in-gate person.

Most jumper riders will wear a show shirt with a wrap collar, though a stock tie is permitted (you just might be the only one wearing one).

2 to 3 minutes per round is pretty standard depending on the size of the ring, though be prepared for more trainer conflicts holding up the ring than you might be used to.

For your Saturday and Sunday classes, I would bring along your show jacket just in case, as formal attire can really vary from area to area.

You can braid if you want to, but you certainly don’t need to - on any day.

1 Like

I put my other comments in italics. Didn’t mean to split across 2 posts, but oh well.

Try to bring everything you will need with you. Any item you buy at the horse show, from a bottle of water to a sandwich to a bag of shavings to a piece of tack, will be more expensive than if you bought it anywhere else.

You can estimate when you might show, but unless you show in the first class of the day at 8 o’clock, be prepared for the possibility that you may have to either hurry up, or wait. Or quite possibly both.

If the course is a little on the easy side, a lot more people will qualify for the jump off and the class will take much longer. If the course is tough, there will be hardly any to jump off and there might also be some scratches. Or the ring might sit around empty for an hour while they wait for the last horse to show up to finish the class. Very hard to predict.

And once in a while, if one ring finishes long before the others, the management might shift a class over to the ring that gets done early, and suddenly the last class of the day might happen three hours earlier than expected and in a different ring. So just be prepared for that possibility.

Regarding attire, at some shows you might be the only person there wearing colored breeches, even in the classes that are not formal. Ditto for a polo shirt. It’s up to you if that will be an issue for you or not.

Good luck and have fun!

I would say most people at AA shows are wearing jackets (or at least a show shirt) on Friday and Saturday. It’s hard to say without knowing exactly what you’re showing in and where but there are plenty of jackets most actual divisions (as opposed to a 90cm schooling class, for example).

2 Likes

Do Not wear colored breeches. Rules state tan, beige, buff or rust breeches only. A polo shirt is ok but it must be a solid color. These are
USEF rules. I’d just wear a show shirt. No need for a stock tie in the classic. A regular show shirt, white breeches and jacket is perfect

Actually… those color restrictions for breeches apply to the USEF hunter rules. Jumpers have different attire requirements depending on the class, which should be specified in the prize list.

From the USEF rule book:

JU 111.9. Attire
a. Formal Jumper Attire. Dark, muted or similar colored, or red (scarlet) coats are required; team or sponsored coats of different colors are also permitted; white or fawn breeches; a white tie, choker (unless the shirt, by design, has the chocker built in for its intended use) or hunting stock, and a white or lightly colored shirt must be worn. Shirts must have a white collar and white cuffs. Shirts must be fastened at the neck and tucked into breeches. Boots are required. Half chaps are permitted as long as the color matches the paddock boots being worn. Members of the Armed Services or the police may wear the service dress uniform with protective headgear. (See General Rules, GR801.2)
b. Proper Jumper Attire. Coats of any color are required. Breeches must be light color (white, fawn or canary). Pastel and dark colored breeches are not allowed. Shirts, light in color, must be tucked into breeches and fastened at the top of the neck. Ties or chokers of any color must be worn (unless the shirt, by design, has the choker built in for its intended use). Boots are required. Half chaps are permitted as long as the color matches the paddock boots being worn.
c. Standard Jumper Attire. Coats are not required. Breeches of any color are permitted. Shirts (polo shirts are permitted) must have collars and sleeves (sleeves may be either long or short), and must be tucked into breeches. Sleeveless shirts and shirts with exposed hoods are prohibited. Boots are required. Half chaps are permitted as long as the color matches the paddock boots being worn.
d. In extreme weather conditions, the use of jackets, sweaters or raincoats with or without hoods can be allowed by management and/or permission from the Jumper Judge/s. Permission must be granted before entering the competition ring.
e. In cases where the above requirements are not followed, the penalty for a first or minor offense will be a warning and for repeated violations by the same exhibitor at the same event, the penalty may be elimination.

Good luck! How exciting. Yes for a AA show, you’re fine in colored breeches and a polo in your schooling jumper classes. Are you doing a classic? Your whites will be appropriate for that.

Depending on the show, they may have a posted order for your jumper classes, even if you’re in a lower (less than 1.0m) class. I’ve been to some where even the .8/.9 has a posted order due to large classes and long days.

1 Like

No stock ties.

No braiding needed.

Have fun.

1 Like

I’m not sure what is meant here by schooling classes, but I have never seen anyone in an actual class (being judged) wearing anything but white or tan breeches at an AA show, jumper or hunter ring. In the ticketed warm up before the show begins, people will wear blue, black, breeches, etc. Can’t go wrong with white or tan breeches and a short sleeved show (not polo) shirt. You can get reasonable show shirts by Ariat, etc. They will be much cooler and breathable than the average polo shirt.

I assume by schooling classes they mean classes that are not part of a recognized division (Ch/Ad, Jr/AO, Young Jumpers, TB) or not a featured classes (Welcomes, Stakes, Prix, etc). At least that’s how I usually refer to the random 0.80m - ~1.20m that generally run early in the week. I wore dark grey breeches and a long sleeve sunshirt in my Wed/Thurs jumper classes at my most recent AA show. There might not be a ton of people wearing them but it’s perfectly within the rules and no one batted an eye. Hunter attire rules are more restrictive and don’t allow for dark breeches (other than rust) so you won’t see anyone wearing them in the hunter ring in any judged class.

2 Likes

I think it depends on which classes you are talking about, I regularly see (and have shown in) colored breeches and sun shirts at A/AA shows in the jumper ring in classes that aren’t part of the weekend divisions (ie, .80/.85/.90 clear round blue ribbon classes). I was pretty happy to get to show in my grey breeches since that’s never an option in the hunter ring :joy: Once you get to the weekend divisions I think most people you see are in tan breeches and show coats, vests or similar attire.

1 Like

I have seen people wear black, navy, and gray breeches in the jumper ring at A and AA shows when “Standard jumper attire” was permitted. I’d steer clear of like, purple or orange, though.

I think by colored breeches OP just means not white, probably beige or grey.

Thank you everyone for the advice!!

So by colored I had meant a very light blue (think baby blue, just a hair darker than white). The prize list only specified “proper” attire for the classic on Sunday, but I ended up following the advice to basically wear tan breeches and a white shirt and pack my coat just in case… I was riding in the adults and pretty much everyone was wearing a coat, so I fit right in! I also did a Take2 class and probably would’ve been ok in just my show shirt, but went ahead and wore the coat. Some people were braided today and some weren’t, so I was right in line with my unbraided horse. I will probably go ahead and braid for the classic- I see no reason to not spend the extra 20 min doing that and I’m one of those weird people who actually likes braiding!

My first round today was a little embarrassing, I almost missed my class so I had a short warmup and then didn’t ride super well. But there were only two of us and it was a level lower than I normally compete so I still won lol. The second ride was really great for me- we pulled two rails but that’s less than what we’ve been averaging at HTs and my round actually got better as I went on. It was the perfect big atmosphere practice and I’m very happy we get to go back in the ring tomorrow and hopefully build on that! I really hate not having ride times, but otherwise I liked the course design and might even do another one of these shows closer to championships to help prep for that.

8 Likes

You won AND you improved as you went? That sounds like a fantastic day! Lol.

Congrats and good luck for the rest of the show. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

See rules from the rule book that someone provided above. “Proper attire” is an actual specified attire category.

Jumper and dressage braids are definitely easier and faster than doing a billion hunter plaits. I don’t mind doing braids either, if it’s the big dressage rosettes.

Congrats on a great first show day! I hope the rest of your weekend progressed the same, and that you have fun!

2 Likes

Also remember to have fun!

Can we wear solid color sun shirts (long or short sleeves) in jumper classes? Note, asking for 1.0 classes (including weekend classes). I know any classics will need a coat, but it’s been YEARS since I’ve been in the ring and I wanted to double check!