Unlimited access >

First away show! Tips? UPDATE: Post 29!

my barn is renting a golf cart, and i’m bringing a dirt bike.

2 Likes

There are a ton of great recommendations that folks have already listed here. The only other thing I would recommend would be to only pack the bare necessities in your tack trunk for shipping.

I personally find it way easier to get my lighter trunk on/off the trailer and to bring all of the extra things in my car. I like to be extra prepared and bring a decent amount of stuff and my back thanks me for not putting it all in my trunk. :slight_smile:

Also, I don’t think anyone mentioned it, but I always bring duct tape and electrical tape to away shows. Duct tape is always handy, but electrical tape has saved a few folks in my barn when their boot zippers have busted and they need a quick fix.

3 Likes

A couple pair of dark shoelaces. These along with black electrical tape have saved the day many times when a last minute quick fix had to be made!

3 Likes

Baby wipes. You just never know and they have so many uses. Sticky human hands, dirty white horse noses, mystery gunk, etc.

I am particular about my string for my number so I bring several extras.

Michaels has these great little craft storage boxes with dividers that I think are great for storing/packing all the “little” things you may need at shows and then you know where it all is. Things like your sharpies, pins, extra hair ties, hairnets, travel sized hair brush and spray, string, scissors, paperwork, gloves, etc all fit nicely in these. (and when we were doing leadline it also held garters and bows too!)

5 Likes

I guess I’ll be the one.

Electrical cord, blender, items to make margaritas.

Load up on hydrating foods like melon, fruits, cold veggies, chips and salsa. You don’t want to eat heavy in the heat.

Electrical tape is a must plus extra scissors.

6 Likes

Thank you. LOL. Ok so Costco has little adult ice pops with different vodka cocktails inside - yummy. And their pre mixed margarita is very passable at under $10 for a big bottle. A good cooler with wheels, camp chair, sun hat/glasses/sunscreen.

4 Likes

You aren’t the only one. We bring a little frig/freezer so the alcoholic popsicles stay frozen. A bottle of lemonade and a bottle of raspberry vodka go a long way as well.

I put a 15’ cord on a crock pot so there is no need for an extension cord. I do pulled pork before shows and freeze it. Another easy make a heads is spaghetti and meatballs. Chicken fried rice is good and not to heavy.

I have a little bitty one cup coffee pot that goes to shows. I also have an electric kettle and collapsible drip coffee maker that goes to my hotel room. I’ve done enough travelling for work and shows that I am over the crap shoot that is hotel room coffee. I only drink a cup or two a day, but I like it to be predictable and I’m too cheap to go to Starbucks.

5 Likes

Personally, hate the microfiber ones but will have to check Lowe’s/HD for the cheapie white ones. My current favorites are the two-packs from the automotive aisle at Dollar Tree. They’re the perfect size and shape for cleaning tack especially – bigger than a wash cloth but not as long as human hand towel. The downside is sometimes they have them, sometimes they don’t.

Also, start packing your car early. I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck the night before so now, as an old lady, gave myself an extra day for the last show. World of difference (and I’m just doing one-day shows).

1 Like

Update!
I got to the show and checked into the house on tuesday. Everything was great, my fried and I settled in, put food away, and had dinner. We schooled our horses in ticketed schooling and then came back that night to walk them around. We did the same for tuesday and wednesday, and then showed friday/saturday. I competed in a hunter derby in addition to my regular division, which was very fun. I think that it was worth it, and I didn’t forget anything other than my stock pin for my shad belly, which was a quick fix at the HITS tack stores. Food-wise, we overpacked a TON and still have food left over. But I was very happy with myself and my horse, and that’s all that matters. Thanks for everyone’s help!

25 Likes

That’s great! Congrats!!

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like