First Dressage Schooling Show - What do I wear?

Hi everyone!

I’m riding in my first dressage schooling show next month (I’m a former H/J) and am not sure what to wear. I know I’m overthinking it, but I want to be as prepared as possible since I’m nervous about getting back in the show ring for the first time in 8 years and want one less thing to be worried about.

I have tall boots and a show ring worthy helmet. Do I need to wear a jacket/white full seat breeches? I plan on doing more shows, however, I’ll probably be at the schooling/no frills level for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the input!

I am guessing you are showing at the lower levels - Intro through 1st. For those levels there is no requirement for white breeches even at regular shows, although that is certainly the most prevalent option. Keep your saddle pad simple - white or a solid darker color are best. Gloves can be white or a single dark color.

If you can, ask a friend, your trainer or even the show secretary what the typical turnout is. Schooling shows vary and the show secretaries I know are really helpful and want you to have a positive experience, so don’t feel weird asking. One series near me has lots of riders in paddock boots and half chaps, tan breeches and a polo shirt. Light tan breeches and a collared shirt (polo, sun shirt, show shirt you would wear under a jacket) would be perfectly acceptable in most schooling shows.One show series near me is a bit closer to a rated show and many of the riders are in white breeches and coats and some even braid manes. Even if it isn’t required, you will feel better if you “fit in” and look the part.

Oddly enough dressage is starting to come around to variations in color and style. I was comparing notes with a friend who rides jumpers and her trainer (who also does hunters) wouldn’t let her get a new blue jacket to show in. Meanwhile, I saw lovely grey, blue, brown, purple and black coats with varying amounts of bling on coats, pads, boots and browbands at the last dressage show I attended.

Some other tips that may help you. Spend a bit of time memorizing your tests, even if you will have a reader, as it will help you in the ring. Focus on rhythm, well-placed turns and the size and shape of your circles. If you make a mistake or have a bad movement, take a deep breath and let it go - ride the next movement. SMILE and have fun!

3 Likes

It depends on the show, but around here most people wear “clinic attire” for schooling shows–neutral breeches (some wear white but most don’t) and a polo or quarter zip shirt (mostly white, but again really any neutral color) with a belt. But you can always give them a call and see what people usually wear! Good luck!

2 Likes

Just rode in one this weekend. Gray breeches, white polo shirt w/logo and Rockel black and grey gloves. Clinic attire as someone else said is appropriate.

1 Like

We had our first this weekend. All of us wore our beige breeches, field boots and either black or white sun/show shirts. We were going to wear our jackets, but no one else did and it was quite hot. There were lots of folks in various colors of breeches, polos, etc.

What you would wear for an equitation class would be fine. Dark coat, beige breeches, white shirt (and a pre-tied stock is fine, otherwise just make sure your collar is buttoned/snapped/closed all the way up), black gloves and boots, and dark helmet. I personally recycle my eq gear for dressage shows.

Can’t go wrong with tan breeches, white show shirt. You can always bring a jacket and wear if everyone else is, or like me you use it as a testing grounds for USDF-rated stuff and I usually try to braid, depending.

I’ve seen everything though, you should be fine- even saw a lady wearing a pink helmet!

I usually wear tan breeches and a dark shirt–navy or even burgundy. Usually saddle pad to match the shirt, although I also have a black and a light brown pad. Sometimes I will wear a brighter blue than navy (with a navy saddle pad). I will also wear navy breeches and a lighter colored shirt (never white).

ETA: Picture in next post showing navy with light brown pad with dark brown trim. Technical fabric usually looks neater than the cotton polo I have on here.

I just rode in my first schooling show a couple of weeks ago. Most horses were braided and riders were in white or light colored breeches with white shirts and jackets.
Have fun!

My friend used to comepete in Dressage, and she swore by beige breeches! Good luck!

I have looked up show photos from past shows to see what level of formal most people go with. I also I like having a idea of the arena if I have a green horse

1 Like

I like to look nice for pics at even a low level show. That said I don’t go in for my wool show jacket on hot summer days. I have dark brown, suede vest which I wear over pale grey breeches and a long sleeved shirt. I used to be a white shirt with stock tie, but last time out I wore a blue shirt (darker than baby blue, but lighter than royal blue). I find the vest really adds some formality to the look.

I did used to go all out with braids, jacket and stock tie. But since I am showing a greenie at the most introductory level of show - which is two levels below what I used to show - I’m there more for training my horse and giving him experience than to do well. I want to be comfortable, and enjoy myself. I do braid my greenie, but as his mane is clipped to a short mohawk it’s just his forelock and tail. That would my version of putting a vest on him. :wink:

By all means ask the show secretary what the dress code is, then do what you feel comfortable with. If you want dolled up show pics, go for the braids and jacket.

I really want to thank everyone for their advice and input! I think I finally have what I’m wearing nailed down, now what to do with my hair? I’ve found some threads on here about show bows or hunter hair without covering the ears.

What is your opinion?

Great post! I come from a Hunter/Jumper background as well and have not shown since 2010. I have over the past couple of years gone to Eventing / Dressage and will be doing my first Dressage schooling show this weekend doing Training Level Test 2 and 3. I do not have white breeches but plan to wear my old show breeches that are tan with a knee patch. Not used to riding in anything but full seats in my dressage saddle so that could be different. But, tan breeches, a black polo, black gloves, black helmet and my horse will have a white saddle pad with black piping. Right now I plan to do dressage plaits but depending on how stressed out and nervous I get that may not happen. I get all stressed from showing, part of the reason I don’t do it anymore. Though that is partially because I never had a groom/helper and getting myself, my horse and everything else taken care of was just exhausting.

IME nobody worries about hair details at schooling shows. It just has to be neat and out of the way. Any kind of bun, small ponytail, etc would work. Shorter hair that would still poke out under a helmet probably needs a hair net. The key idea is neat and tidy with nothing flopping!

1 Like

You will be fine! IMO white breeches are overkill at a schooling show, and I never worry about braiding unless there’s a photographer.

1 Like

Most of the schooling shows I get to are the end of the day added to a show that is a combined test. Most anything goes. For us, no braids, navy saddle pad with a light blue border that matches my polo. White breeches and white gloves, black boots and helmet. Mostly because if I didn’t wear the white it would never get used. I have very short hair, doesn’t even need a hairnet. If I find a different color saddle pad that I like as well I would consider a new polo.

1 Like