Unlimited access >

First HT: timing?

Doing my first Starter at a show grounds that I’ve never been to (NJHP). Generally, how long before my dressage time (1:57pm) should I arrive? Not getting a stall and I only plan to walk xcountry one time.

I would add 30 minutes to an hour to whatever time schedule you normally use to give yourself time to find where everything is. I haven’t been there before, but that’s what I do going to new venue. I always do a written backwards plan (start with time and work backwards what needs doing) to allow me time to get what I need to do done and have time to relax. I hardly ever plan to show up with less than two hours before my ride time just in case of weird occurrences like flat tires, but that’s me.

1 Like

I am the type that wants to have excess time so I don’t stress out, however I would say to keep in mind how long it takes you to walk a mile in a field. A starter course will usually be about that length. Add probably another 10-15 min walk each way to get to the XC field.

So, arrival time, pick up packet. Depending on haul, hand walk and provide water/hay. Walk to XC, walk XC course, walk back to trailer. Tack up for dressage, change into show clothes, get your bit checked, warm up.

1 Like

Will you need to walk show jumping too? I’ve only done the recognized there but I usually aim to get to any show at least an hour before my ride time and I usually allow an hour to walk the courses. I would allow two hours.

I always try to allow myself 2 hours. That way even if there is traffic or another delay along the way, I still have plenty of time. Some XC takes longer to walk than others and you may have to park far from the show office adding time for picking up your packet etc. Depending on the venue, sometimes 2 hours even feels like not enough time, but I like to take my time tacking up and getting ready so I don’t forget anything!

1 Like

How much time do you have between dressage and jumping? Do you have time to walk your courses after dressage, or do you need to do it before dressage? I generally allow an hour to walk a cross country course.

I think walking in between would be too rushed/there won’t be enough time. D at 1:54, SJ at 2:59, Xty at 3:14.

Oh yeah I definitely wouldn’t. Dressage could always run late and obliterate that gap.

I’d aim to be there no later than noon. Maybe 11:30 just to be safe and since you’re new at it. I always work backwards: I’d allot an hour to getting dressed, tacking up, and 1/2 hour of warmup. I’ll say another hour for walking your courses/packet pickup and setting up whatever you need to at your trailer. I’m guessing since you have such a late start time and it’s your first time, you’re riding at one of the lower levels. Their XC courses will be somewhat shorter and walking it will not take as long.

2 Likes

I’d go with 11:30, better to have too much time than not enough.

2 Likes

This schedule has you going directly from SJ to XC. Wear your xc gear in SJ, have someone bring a bottle of water, and go straight to XC all warmed up from SJ.

You need to allow enough time for unpacking, finding your number, walking stadium tacking, and warming up for dressage.