Unlimited access >

First ride on my young horse! =)

Worked her up to this with lots of in-hand training, then slow introduction of tack (just standing on cross ties in the saddle, grazing with it, then lunging in it a few times), and a couple of sessions where I leaned on her, stood above her on the block, and eventually worked up to sitting on her bareback.

Finally put it all together and here it is - first ride, in the saddle, just five minutes of calm walking, helping associate rein and leg aids with all the cues we’ve already taught her (with trainer reinforcing my cues from the ground so I can give them gently but persistently while she learns what they mean).

https://youtu.be/LYbK9k_GORI

Yipeee! I had my first ride on my 3 yo this summer. Incredible feeling even though we only walked a bit.

Best of luck in the future!

What fun, good for you! She looked pretty nonplussed about the whole thing!

Congrats!! Thats always a great moment!! she looks nice!

Good for you! She’s a cutie and it looks like you’re off to an awesome start!

I had my first ride on my youngster in March, it was totally uneventful and wonderful. It felt like getting a piggy back ride from a drunk person, but fun and exciting nonetheless.

She is really cute! What color is she?

Very nice horse and seems to be very quiet.

After starting horses for decades, I would suggest you do a little more handling on the ground to teach her to respond to your reins without resistance, as she shows there.

That won’t take five minutes here and there, where she learns to give to the slightest little pull, so you don’t have to pull at all once on her.
We call that installing a response of her legs to our asking thru the reins, for the horse to realize a little touch of the reins means to unpark itself and move legs and body one or another way.
Never pull on a horse, horses can hold and pull back much more than we can.

You already do that very well here and there when she gets stuck, but it is much easier if you don’t even have to go there, have the “unstick your feet” already firmly trained on the ground before getting on.

That halter is about two inches too high and too loose to be effective on a horse that doesn’t yet know to respond to your hand.
Would be more effective if set where the horse’s head is guided as you want, even better if those responses were practiced before getting on the first time.

Looks that you did a great job of desensitizing her so there were no fireworks with a rider on her back, that part was stellar.
She is cool with the whole thing, just seems a bit confused on the guiding, that I myself like to have installed before getting on.

A person on the ground helping move the horse on is a great way to go, if it is effective about reading the horse and rider and complementing both.
You did have that there, sure makes teaching easier when what we ask is made the easiest and smoothest for the horse we can make it.
One advantage, that helps those first few riders with forward motion, without the rider needing to push the horse forward, maybe causing a little resistance and tail switching if needing to be too insisting with our leg.
We don’t want to teach what we don’t want the horse to learn.

Hope that came across right, it is not a criticism, it is experience of years and colt starting speaking, hopefully helping your next rides and whoever else is learning from your video.

Thank you for posting it, the horse looks wonderful there, good job on that first ride being so uneventful, the horse not acting up.

To be able to starts colts uneventfully, like watching paint dry we say here, is considered one mark of good horsemanship.

[QUOTE=Palm Beach;8965337]
She is really cute! What color is she?[/QUOTE]

She is a grulla (black dun). Half friesian, half quarter horse.

Congratulations!

[QUOTE=Bluey;8965356]
Very nice horse and seems to be very quiet.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! It’s so funny to hear people say she seems quiet, if you had seen her just a few months ago… Or even still on a bad day now, she has a history of being quite the little demon child xD this little filly is responsible for kicking and biting more people than all the other horses in this barn put together! And some of the bucking, squeaking, tiny rodeo shows she put on when we first started ground working her were… impressive haha! She likes to rear more than any other horse I’ve ever known. So to get to this point, where she is safe and calm, has been quite the journey.

Thank you for your feedback and advice! It is appreciated. I do know the halter is sitting a little high – she’s had it for a while and she’s grown since I bought it , so it’s probably getting too small for her. I just bought a new one, and we should start using that one really. We just wanted to stick to it was familiar for this first ride, and this is the halter we used for ground working and long lining her.

We will continue to teach her to be more responsive to the rein cues from the ground, and with the long lines. When just working in hand she responds very lightly and readily to all cues, so I’m hoping she just got stuck more than usual because this was all new and a bit confusing for her. Hopefully as we do a couple more of these rides, she’ll start to loosen up and respond like she does with the long lines =)

First, nicely done. :slight_smile:

While those of us who have started our own horses would likely have done things differently at some points, that in no way suggests what you did was wrong - just a different choice. She looks quite calm and relaxed even when she hasn’t a clue what you want - well done you! If you have that then you have a horse who can forgive little errors from the trainer/rider.

I trained my last baby horse to leg and bit before I ever got on him. Then I confused him by trying to ride with rope reins on his halter. After a few minutes I switched to the reins on his bit and he kind of went “Oh! THAT’S what you meant! Okay, here.” :lol: It was lovely having a go response pre trained as well.

Enjoy your girl!

Congratulations, always a great accomplishment. On Sunday I sat on my coming 3 year old - also doing lots of groundwork and exposure to tack, obstacles (in hand) and ground driving. My guy is very laid back and not one prone to histrionics but is a PONY with a ponytude (I actually love ponytude)…he is the one that kicked me in the face, shattered my orbit, broke my nose, etc when he was 5 months old…I can’t wait to get to the stage you’re at (tentatively late spring)…I know he’s going to test the boundaries; but, he’s also going to be a lot of fun. ENJOY!

Congratulations! Isn’t it the best feeling?

[QUOTE=FoxyFilly;8965375]
Thank you! It’s so funny to hear people say she seems quiet, if you had seen her just a few months ago… Or even still on a bad day now, she has a history of being quite the little demon child xD this little filly is responsible for kicking and biting more people than all the other horses in this barn put together! And some of the bucking, squeaking, tiny rodeo shows she put on when we first started ground working her were… impressive haha! She likes to rear more than any other horse I’ve ever known. So to get to this point, where she is safe and calm, has been quite the journey.

Thank you for your feedback and advice! It is appreciated. I do know the halter is sitting a little high – she’s had it for a while and she’s grown since I bought it , so it’s probably getting too small for her. I just bought a new one, and we should start using that one really. We just wanted to stick to it was familiar for this first ride, and this is the halter we used for ground working and long lining her.

We will continue to teach her to be more responsive to the rein cues from the ground, and with the long lines. When just working in hand she responds very lightly and readily to all cues, so I’m hoping she just got stuck more than usual because this was all new and a bit confusing for her. Hopefully as we do a couple more of these rides, she’ll start to loosen up and respond like she does with the long lines =)[/QUOTE]

Oh, that background there explains more why you rode like you did, you didn’t want to bring any of that old stuff up, better be careful there, well done!

Thank you for letting us “ride” along with you with your video.
That was very nice of you and you and your horse look very, very good there.

Aww that’s so awesome, it is so exciting isn’t it!

I got on my coming 3 y/o this morning. I have been working with him and had sat on him twice before but never asked him to walk off until today. We couldn’t figure out walk in a straight line but we did a couple circles! I figured that combined with first time actually wearing bridle for more than 5 minutes was enough for the day.
Excited for tomorrow already!

[QUOTE=RedHorses;8965413]
I trained my last baby horse to leg and bit before I ever got on him. Then I confused him by trying to ride with rope reins on his halter. After a few minutes I switched to the reins on his bit and he kind of went “Oh! THAT’S what you meant! Okay, here.” :lol: It was lovely having a go response pre trained as well.[/QUOTE]

We had started introducing her to the bit, but around that time she had some dental issues. Well does have since been resolved, we just stuck to the halter after that since it was what we had been going with ( and because with the introduction of the saddle, we didn’t want her having to adapt to too much gear all at the same time). Now that her mouth is healthy, and she is OK with having me on her back, we may re-introduce the bit later. :slight_smile: For now, the most important thing to teach her will be how to walk off the leg. She yields sideways away from the leg, as she does away from my hand on the ground (at one point in the video she does a few steps of that actually while I’m trying to turn her LOL), but it’s getting her to move forward at a squeeze that’s a little tricky right now it seems.