Unlimited access >

First time breeding! Please Help!!!

Hey Guys,
So I need some help. My CIC** mare broke her knee in a freak accident this summer. We tried rehab however she is quite the opinionated hot head and decided that galloping around was a better idea than sticking to the rehab schedule. Anyways I have made the decision to go ahead and breed her.

She is a 15.1 full tb mare off the track
She has a short neck
Short tense however correct gaits
She has scope and bravery to spare
She is very hot headed and sensitive

I am looking for a stud that has a big round jump, a good calm temperament, a little more height than my girl, and preferably some bigger movement. Probably a warmblood.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me. I have been doing a lot of research but this is my first time breeding and I am working closely with my vet but I thought you guys might have some better ideas for a match!

Thanks in advance!

There’s so many ways you could go. Some people mentioned Bravo (Oldenburg, Eventing) to me. He might be of interest. I’m looking at breeding my mare to Viscount but I’ve really liked the looks of Contenda too. There really are so many options. What about Formula One?

I’m hoping some Irish Draught breeders might recommend some Irish Sporthorses (TB + Irish Draught); sounds like they would be just what your gal needs.

And while I certainly can’t name a sire, I wonder if there are still any actual PROVEN draft/TB stallions out there any more? The 3/4 TB, 1/4 draft use to be THE go to horse for fox hunting and lower level eventing. They add bone, sturdiness and a better brain to the stamina, quickness and agility of the TB.

Are you wanting to keep eventing at the same level or wanting to breed a horse that can go farther than **?

First time

You have a lot of choices. I don’t think you have to necessarily go to a warmblood. In Great Britain TB mares crossed on Welsh Cob stallions make very successful Welsh Sport Horses. In the US there are a couple of Irish Sport Horses available. One is the stallion Clover Cliste…he will be 20 but he has had successful offspring and Clover Hill is a very successful sire of eventers and jumpers. Clover Cliste has a great mind as well. There is a smaller Irish Draught stallion Moorpark Image who has now got some eventers coming up. Again his temperament is outstanding and he is a solid correct fellow who is not a tank and crosses very well with TB mares. There is a Irish Sport Horse stallion Grogans High Fidelity http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/grogans+high+fidelity with Skippy…the sire of Jumbo(successful with small TB mares) and Furioso and King of Diamonds breeding on the bottom. He has a lot to offer. PatO

If you are willing to use a VERY experienced repro clinic and go with frozen semen, I would look at Contendro. He is very high for eventing on the WBFSH eventing sire list (6th if I remember) and many of the offspring who got him there have at least TB dam sires. Very good temperament and will improve gaits significantly.

Quite EAsy and quite Capitol. If you want to do frozen

If… you’re considering a WB stallion do some research b/c some of the registries require that the mare is ‘over 15.1 hands’ to be eligible for breeding approval in that registry. You may be concerned about registering the foal, or not. It is a bit of a mute pt for a colt that gets gelded, but for a filly it may be important to be able to have some future breeding value.

I am hoping to continue to move up through the levels. I have been considering Formula One who is and Irish Sport Horse

Kyzteke, I am hoping to continue through the levels as possible. I have a few other horses in the works now. What do you think about Formula One? 3phase suggested him and I have been interested in him prior.

Holsteiner stallion Lotus T is uniquely qualified: he’s 70% tb, has superb, very elastic gaits, an incredible jump. He puts on size without compromising type and always passes on temperament!
He was also named potentially the best event sire in North America by the USEA magazine in an article!

What is the registered name of your mare? To look up pedigree. Probably a wb- tb cross would be your best bet, but certain TB lines are prevalent for being hot headed and you want to be sure not to double up on that line. As to the WB inspections: even if too small for main book your foal would still be eligible for lower book papers/ certificate of pedigree . It’s not that you would get no papers on the foal. If breeding for yourself, doesn’t matter. If you want to sell the foal: I have not had any problem selling foals with lower book papers. Most buyers are riders not breeders.

I would take a look at Tatendrang. He’s a Trakehner and did a CCI** this year. Very modern type.

I have my one TB Sea Accounts daughter in foal to him right now.

If you are going to breed with a warmblood, please find a registry that will accept your mare (there should be choices or a JC registered TB) and get papers for the foal. Even if you think you are keeping the foal forever, you may want to sell it one day and those papers do make a difference in price, even for a gelding. It’s like having a brand name.

If you can’t/wont get your mare in any of the warmblood books, maybe look into Sea Accounts? He’s a thoroughbred and I believe he is approved for several warmblood registries-so very nice quality!

ahhhh, I see sea accounts’ owner has already chimed in here :slight_smile: