Unlimited access >

First Time Going to Dressage Schooling Show - Ride Order

I’m looking to take a baby horse to a local dressage schooling show, but am struggling to get an answer to a question on the order of go (tried emailing show organizer, no response yet). If two people are riding the same horse, is it generally possible to request one rides first? The show bill states it is permissible for riders to share a horse, however horse is limited to three classes a day total (not a problem there), but no info other than that.

My hope is that trainer can do an open test, followed by me. Baby horse was good at his first outing (ground poles at a hunter/jumper show), but there’s the occasional big spook trainer is better at working him through.

I come from hunter/jumper land and board at a hunter/jumper barn, so I sadly have no dressage barn friends I can ask. I am however super looking forward to knowing what time I ride!

You can always ask, but unlike hunter shows, there is a specific time for each ride, usually within the time frame allowed for each test. In other words, all Training 3 rides will be grouped together, all Intro B rides will be grouped together, etc. Sometimes there will be exceptions, but the reason for this is that it’s very hard on the judges when the test are changing from ride to ride.

3 Likes

If it’s helpful, he’ll be doing two intro A tests (one open, one AA), which is why I was curious if I could just make sure trainer goes first within that test. Then I’ll ride for intro B.

I’m fairly certain that our schooling show secretary would have little problem scheduling the Intro A class so that your trainer would ride first. Whether Intro A would be ridden before Intro B? Probably, but no guarantee on that.

You want to contact the show secretary, or whoever does the scheduling. That’s normally not the show organizer.

4 Likes

Same horse in Intro with 2 different riders? They will be happy to accommodate who goes first, there are usually 20000 intro rides lol. Please write a NICE note on the entry that you send in ON TIME and paid in full with all paperwork (former volunteer in my GMO with ptsd)

8 Likes

You can always ask. And, if you ask nicely they will probably do what they can to accomodate you.

But I would not count on them running Intro A before Intro B.

I have known many people who enter Training 3 and First 1, thinking they will do the Training test first, only to discover that First 1 runs before Training 3.

3 Likes

Ah I hadn’t thought of that possibility, well if that happens it happens I guess. I did go watch a bit of the prior schooling show just to see how things ran; that time at least Intro A did go first.

Sometimes they have to mix up levels to put the required gaps in time between horses

1 Like

IIWM, and there’s enough time before the show assigns ride times AND AA goes after Open, asking can’t hurt.
But if AA goes first, not much you can do :woman_shrugging:

In the end, it’s Schooling, so go & deal with the horse you get whoever rides first.
I took my TWH & rode Intro A & B - in that order, with time between.
His First Ever tests, first show too < former owner trailrode exclusively.
But I had him trotting, so…
He was good in the first test, but decided being asked to do it AGAIN?! was too much, gave me a baby buck & reverted to Gaiting halfway through.
I let him, no sense making it a War.
Surprisingly we placed 3rd in B & 1st in A.
Afterwards I thanked the - r - judge - who’d remarked on the “bucking”. :roll_eyes:
She told me she had clients who rode gaited horses & “Your geometry was Spot On”

Go, have fun whatever happens :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I would ask the show organizers, politely, and asap. Schooling shows are perfect places for young horses, new or young riders, and new horse/rider combos. I’m willing to bet they will do their best to accommodate your request. I’ve had ride times changed at recognized shows when I’ve asked nicely. Of course, it helps to be known for being polite, paying your bills, and generally respecting everyone at the show.

5 Likes

In our summer show series, the AAs, Jrs, and Open riders do not ride in different classes, but are pinned according to their division. This is the class list from our current prize list.

So, anyone who wants to ride Intro B, for instance, enters Class 2, and Class 2 runs, with a few exceptions now and then, with no distinction re: division until it’s time for placings.

OP, your show may be run differently.

1 Like

True, but if you ask really nicely, they might accommodate a ride out of order.

3 Likes

Of course you can BOTH enter the OPEN class. Then, not only would it be easier for the show sec to schedule the trainer first, if that does not happen, you would be in the same class, and it’s really easy to fix that problem day of show.
Many people think Open classes are restricted to the pros, but in fact its the opposite - the restricted class is the AA (or Jr/YR) classes. The “Open” classes are open to everyone.

1 Like

This is the same as my experience. Rides aren’t organized by “AA first then JR then open” it’s everyone who is riding the same test going consecutively (and then placement is dictated by division) so if OP can get a hold of the show secretary, I think it would be a reasonably easy request to make, and one reasonably easy to fulfill, though of course they are within their right to say no, as well (for whatever reasons they may have).

Which class goes first at any given show however, seems to be determined by a bit of voo-doo, a magic-8 ball, and consulting the stars :joy: (I kid, but it can get a little unpredictable sometimes) I find typically the lower tests of any given level go first (training 1 before training 2, intro B before intro C) but there are sometimes some scheduling difficulties that can cause things to get a bit wonky so it’s never an absolute certainty.

OP - enjoy ride times! :grin: And have a fun time. If you can find a listed show secretary, I think they are your best bet (rather than the show organizer). If you don’t get a response, depending on how local the show is to you, your trainer may know who is putting on the show and could be contacted to ask who you’d be able to address this request to.

2 Likes

Our shows do not allow a horse to be ridden more than once in the same class and division, even if with different riders.

1 Like

Just so you know, in case you think that the lower level tests go before the higher level tests, that is not always the case. I’ve had my 1st level test before my T level test, and I’ve had my neon green not sure if it’s going to stay in the ring horse have a T level test before the Intro test. That was exciting.

Yes, around here they usually run things in reverse order so the upper level horses aren’t competing in much more strenuous tests in the heat of the summer afternoons. (I’m pretty sure it’s for the horses, not for us :))

3 Likes

You could also enter HC/Hors Concours where you ride and get scored as normal, but are not considered for any prizes. Then if the AA ride is scheduled first/separately, you and your trainer can switch rides.

Really though, if it’s a schooling show, most secretaries are able to accommodate requests like this with no trouble. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Grey

2 Likes

Pretty much the same here. We start at 8 a.m. and run a few lower level classes so that the upper level riders have enough time to get properly warmed up. The upper level classes start around 9:00.

Be careful with this, and check with the show secretary or manager. In general, once a horse goes HC, it cannot compete for scores/placings/prizes for the remainder of the show. I don’t know whether changing riders affects that.